Turn on thread page Beta

Depression and anxiety after graduating - help! watch

ReputationRep:
    I graduated from Nottingham Trent Uni 2 years ago, and I now work as a journalist. I am working on a story about graduate depression and anxiety.
    Personally I felt SO down after finishing uni. I moved home with my parents, all my friends were still at Uni as they did placement years, I was only working 4 hours a day as that was all that was available and I was getting rejected from loads of jobs and to top it off being told I was just a millennial and needed to try harder.
    I know I'm not the only one who's alone in this, but it seems there's no support for grads!
    It's not like the old days when you can just get good job and move out and be completely independent anymore. Rent is extortionate, jobs are scarce and the debt is daunting.
    So please tell me your stories after graduating from uni, did you feel depressed or anxious? Did you bottle it up? Did you go to the doctors? Did you see a counselor? And have you noticed your friends are suffering too? Comment below or message me privately please!
    It needs to be talked about.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ascott24)
    I graduated from Nottingham Trent Uni 2 years ago, and I now work as a journalist. I am working on a story about graduate depression and anxiety.
    Personally I felt SO down after finishing uni. I moved home with my parents, all my friends were still at Uni as they did placement years, I was only working 4 hours a day as that was all that was available and I was getting rejected from loads of jobs and to top it off being told I was just a millennial and needed to try harder.
    I know I'm not the only one who's alone in this, but it seems there's no support for grads!
    It's not like the old days when you can just get good job and move out and be completely independent anymore. Rent is extortionate, jobs are scarce and the debt is daunting.
    So please tell me your stories after graduating from uni, did you feel depressed or anxious? Did you bottle it up? Did you go to the doctors? Did you see a counselor? And have you noticed your friends are suffering too? Comment below or message me privately please!
    It needs to be talked about.
    This is fairly common among university graduates. I did feel depressed after graduating because I lost my friends and didn't really have anyone to turn to. It helps that you have someone to talk to and I do think counselling is a good option, do not bottle it up. Thankfully there are young people's charities around that support people such as yourself.

I'm not sure what area of the UK you're from but here's some links that may be useful.
    http://t2twb.org/
    https://kooth.com/
    https://www.mind.org.uk/information-.../#.WqZ9thPFL-Y

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.