Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be starting Uni in September and i'm hoping to move into a houseshare and rent a room because i don't find halls appealing. I've read that to sign a tenancy i will need a guarantor which would be my mum, does this mean she will have to come to London and sign the tenancy agreement with me?

Since renting in London goes really quick, is a week room hunting enough time to find somewhere, sign the tenancy and move in?
    I have induction on the 25th September so will be hoping to have found somewhere and moved in by the 18th.

Any advice/tips would really help
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by curtisnbennett)
    I'm going to be starting Uni in September and i'm hoping to move into a houseshare and rent a room because i don't find halls appealing. I've read that to sign a tenancy i will need a guarantor which would be my mum, does this mean she will have to come to London and sign the tenancy agreement with me?

Since renting in London goes really quick, is a week room hunting enough time to find somewhere, sign the tenancy and move in?
    I have induction on the 25th September so will be hoping to have found somewhere and moved in by the 18th.

Any advice/tips would really help
    You can just get her to sign the paperwork in the post. Bare in mind some landlords aren't keen on renting to students.

ReputationRep:
    if you have a guarantor you'll be fine finding a place. Id leave a bit longer than a week just to be safe, it could be done in a week if you aren't particularly fussy. Your parents should be able to sign and scan, some forms are online anyway that you sign with your finger (it'll depend what estate agent/ Landlord preference), they definitely wont have to come to london though.

Renting in London is soul destroying so beware haha

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't leave yourself a week. Student residences tend to go early and you will struggle to find anywhere living with non-students. You are not necessarily going to find anything in a week and if you do it might be horrible. Your mum can probably sign in the post.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.