Turn on thread page Beta
    • #1
    • Thread Starter

    So I'm halfway through an MA as a distance learning student and I have to work full time as well because my loan only covered my fees, so I don't have much free time.

    I'm suffering really badly from anxiety at the moment and the slightest little think just makes me cry uncontrollably or have to go be alone somewhere so I can breathe again. I've been to my doctor etc and am looking at treatments but nothing will be fixed overnight and in the meantime I'm really worried about being able to complete my course.

    I'm so stressed about the amount of work left and I really don't feel mentally able to deal with it right now but I don't want to drop out and lose all the work I've put in so far. I only have two essays and the dissertation left so it's not much but the idea of being this upset all the time until my final hand in (six months from now) makes me want to cry and I just don't know how to fit it in around trying to find some treatment for my anxiety and working at the same time. Quitting my job isn't an option because I wouldn't be able to support myself anymore and have no-one else who can help me financially, and it's an office job so I can't be at all flexible with my hours.

    There's also been a lot of issues with my course, the communication is really poor, we never get our grades on time and recently my tutor left and no-one even told me so now I don't even know who to speak to there as my new tutor doesn't know me at all yet. All these things have just made my anxiety loads worse and keep causing me to have anxiety attacks.

    I've contacted my uni's wellbeing service and explained but all they've done is tell me to book in to see a counsellor which I can't do because I live four hours away from the uni. I don't feel like they were listening to me at all or care about helping.

    Is there anything I can do? I really don't want to throw away all the work I've put in or waste the 10k of my postgraduate loan by not finishing but I have no idea how I can complete it right now.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2018
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.