Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there any chance to get accepted if I have portfolio but nothing to support it/only have little to no evidence to works? I think my finished pieces are good but I don't have sketchbook/preparation/research pieces.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by tytaty)
    Is there any chance to get accepted if I have portfolio but nothing to support it/only have little to no evidence to works? I think my finished pieces are good but I don't have sketchbook/preparation/research pieces.
    You're best ringing them up directly to ask this. Sketchbooks/research work is very important in art education - is it that you don't have them or that they never existed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You're best ringing them up directly to ask this. Sketchbooks/research work is very important in art education - is it that you don't have them or that they never existed?
    I only have few, for the rest of the pieces they never existed. I don't do any 'preparation', I think art should be impulsive. I can only give them some photos from the making of 3D objects and the original things I got initial idea from.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I only have few, for the rest of the pieces they never existed. I don't do any 'preparation', I think art should be impulsive. I can only give them some photos from the making of 3D objects and the original things I got initial idea from.
    If you don't do preparation and your art "should" be impulsive then that may well raise doubts with any university about whether they will be able to TEACH you or help you to improve your art. That's why having research/sketchbooks that show how your creative process works and the stages you work through is useful to universities/colleges. They want to see how you approach a piece of work and develop a final piece - so that they can see where some input or advice or teaching would be beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If you don't do preparation and your art "should" be impulsive then that may well raise doubts with any university about whether they will be able to TEACH you or help you to improve your art. That's why having research/sketchbooks that show how your creative process works and the stages you work through is useful to universities/colleges. They want to see how you approach a piece of work and develop a final piece - so that they can see where some input or advice or teaching would be beneficial.
    Well, that's disappointing then because I've seen people with average/boring work get there but they still got there. I am not saying my work is outstanding and that it doesn't need improvement, I just think it's ridiculous that they won't accept someone because they don't have sketchbooks.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Well, that's disappointing then because I've seen people with average/boring work get there but they still got there. I am not saying my work is outstanding and that it doesn't need improvement, I just think it's ridiculous that they won't accept someone because they don't have sketchbooks.
    I have no idea whether they will or won’t accept you without sketchbooks. I’m just explaining why they’re useful to colleges and universities when they’re looking at a portfolio. If you can explain your process without a sketchbook then including a short essay or an annotated photo series of a piece of work could fulfill the same role as a sketchbook.

ReputationRep:
    I have no doubt that your work is amazing, but sometimes the best way for art to be understood is through process, you have to be able to show the people reviewing your portfolio that you can do a variety of things, not just impulsive art. I think you should have at least a few pieces to show your process and development (doesn't have to be a full sketchbook, it can be a development of designs or sketches on a few papers) and all the other pieces can be your impulsive art with an annotation why you believe this piece should be in your portfolio.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 13, 2018
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
University of the Arts London resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.