Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So next September I will be applying for University and I am at a kind of impasse. I am not sure whether I want to do criminology with psychology which I find fascinating or nursing which I don't want to do as much but will defiantly get me a job?
    Any thoughts on what I should do?

ReputationRep:
    I did nursing for the same reasons you are considering and dropped out a couple months in the course. I was miserable. That being said, I have a few friends who don't really like nursing but stayed on and are graduating this year.

Do you have an idea of what you would want to do after university with a criminology degree? I would say, study the degree you like but also, try and research what it can offer in the future and decide if you like those options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnnamedStudent)
    So next September I will be applying for University and I am at a kind of impasse. I am not sure whether I want to do criminology with psychology which I find fascinating or nursing which I don't want to do as much but will defiantly get me a job?
    I’m currently doing crim and I really enjoy it - no degree guarantees you a job anyway, I know people who have done midwifery but struggled to get take on properly after University. Most people have also hated nursing, it’s difficult, the hours are difficult, placement is stressful and the pay is not great for what you do realistically.
    I’d say do what you enjoy most because at the end of the day, it’s 3/4 years of stressful work dedicated to that topic away from home, you need to enjoy otherwise you’ll want to drop out after the first year
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grl9096)
    I did nursing for the same reasons you are considering and dropped out a couple months in the course. I was miserable. That being said, I have a few friends who don't really like nursing but stayed on and are graduating this year.

Do you have an idea of what you would want to do after university with a criminology degree? I would say, study the degree you like but also, try and research what it can offer in the future and decide if you like those options.
    Well I really want to work in a prison or with offenders I do like the idea of forensic psychologist., If I do nursing my aim would be to do prison nursing.

ReputationRep:
    I would say do what you enjoy the most but then I'd be a hypocrite so I'm not going to say that. If you choose job security over passion, prepare to become slightly more miserable during uni - although I guess the end result is worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Take it from someone who planned their life around getting a job over doing something they found fascinating: Life is too short to be miserable in your career ... and if you don't like the work or have reservations about it, do yourself, your future family, and your patients a huge favour and don't sell yourself short for immediate gain.

In the end, if you love what you do, it will almost certainly translate into work one day.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Odds are you will do better on a course you enjoy. Additionally a degree doesn't mean you are on a fixed track, you can get a degree in Criminology with Psychology if you want and then go on to do something else. Degrees don't just offer one job.

No degree guarantees a job so don't make the mistake of thinking Nursing will guarantee you a job. While some might have a better chance than others, it really comes down to what you do with your time and education. Taking a degree you are passionate about means you are far more likely to put in extra work during your own time, which gives you an edge over other candidates. It's not simply a matter of "this career path has better numbers".

ReputationRep:
    Well I really want to work in a prison or with offenders I do like the idea of forensic psychologist., If I do nursing my aim would be to do prison nursing.
    I'm doing psychology, one of my modules is on forensics. As long as you are willing and motivated to get related work experience during uni and are aware that to become a forensic psychologist requires several years of additional school after bachelors (masters etc), then go for what you're interested in.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I wouldnt do nursing without more research and you honestly feeling you have a passion or motivation to do what is a vocation.

Check out Crim with P and look at the prospects at what you can do with it and the employability rates.

Also bear in mind you stand a better chance if you do well and go to a reasonable uni.

Weigh up the pros and cons of each plus remember there may be a third option of a different course that has more employability but still has your interest.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.