The Student Room Group

I ain't buying any of this 'International Womens Day' / female self promotion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Toums
A little rant as I've grown tired of this self promotion, self pitying mantra that young women are putting out on their social media.

In all my experience of University and working at an investment bank - when the class ended it was only boys who queued up to speak to the lecturer, it was mostly boys who asked questions in class, it was mostly boys who hadthe courage to lead socieites on their own. At work, 75% of the people sat at their desk at 7.30am when I arrived were men. In meetings, it was mostly men who spoke up. When 5pm came, it was mostly women who would shoot off. etc etc I could go on and on. These are all truths I saw with my own two eyes.

I honestly just don't get it. I want to stress that I think women are EVERY bit as capable as men. Yet in line with my previous paragraph, I absolutely don't think you deserve equal pay just by virtue of being a woman. I absolutely don't think that you are discriminated in the workplace when compared to men. My reasons for that are in the above paragraph. For every 1x woman, you have maybe 10x men in most situations related to work (and even sport). That's the thing, it all comes down to ratios.

A girl on Linkedin put a self promotion message up saying that during an internship at an investment bank she was told by a male intern that she was fillinf a quota, and that women are as capable as men etc etc. I'm sorry but, you generally are filling a quota. If we did it on probabilities, there are greater numbers of men out there in your shoes. That's not to say she's not as capable, but she is filling a quota. That's why there are women only breakfasts, women trading games, women only events, woman scholarships. I know of women who got into investment banks for the wrong reasons also (I'll let you work it out) - taking advantage of who they are basically - I suppose that is alright also? All of this and then you are discriminated against in the workforce? Really?

I've just grown tired of the attitude of modern day women. It's always me, me me, poor me and my discriminated life. You would think they were born with no arms and no legs - I find their self pitying incredible. My brother is autistic and he works at ASDA - that's where my sympathy and support goes.

Females have every bit of opportunity and power as men. Many say well society teaches us this and that and that we are not good enough. We need greater inclusion etc etc.. Tough! Do these woman ever stop to puase and think about the male suicide rate in this country and what society has done to these men to make them do that? Do they ever pause and think about something that doesn't relate to themselves, that carried far more importance? It's just not enough to justify the constant poor me attitude, I can't do anything because of men.

Another silly Linkedin post today by someone at McKinsey talking about a lecture given to men to not be scared of women in STEM degrees! They make it sound like men look up to women and think they are the Lionel Messi's in the workforce. I'd loveto have been there and asked her why less females apply for these roles! (hence less of them in the workforce). But of course, she probably would have said that they feel as though society has taught them this and that etc. Again, not good enough. I'd prefer some honesty like a lady on Linkedin who recently said questions what women are doing for each other? That they always expect from men.

I'm sorry but I just don't feel any sympathy towards women, just by virtue of being a woman. I find it insulting actually. There's much worse discrimination out there. It's funny that many women complain about being discriminated against, but are equally happy to use their body andposition to abuse their power and work their way into positions. Have you ever thought of the men who have been discriminated against in thos situations? I feel sorry for people who deserve sympathy, support and encouragement, like my brother. I think these are the people we should be supporting and encouraging.

Am I the only on with these thoughts?

I will admit I didn't bother reading all this post but I do mostly agree with you. I disagree with your opinions on the wage gap; women should be paid the same as men (not because of their gender but because they're doing the same job). However, I didn't see the point of having a day dedicated to women tbh. I support equality. Feminism to me seems to be about making women superior nowadays, when it used to be the other way around. :s-smilie:

Sexism towards women does still exist in my opinion, just not as much as it used to. I am aware there's sexism towards men; 'double standards' being one of the main forms. Feminism has become a joke now. Fair enough celebrating stuff like 100 years of women having the vote, but I don't see why we'd need an International Women's Day for any other reason. If the Suffragettes could only see what feminism has become.

Edit: I finished reading your post. I mostly agree with it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Death and Taxes
To be fair you do seem to have an unhealthy fixation with feminism. As a consequence you come across as weak and emasculated.

Statement like this is the reason why there is such a high suicide rate amongst men.
Original post by Know Your Enemy
I will admit I didn't bother reading all this post but I do mostly agree with you. I disagree with your opinions on the wage gap; women should be paid the same as men (not because of their gender but because they're doing the same job). However, I didn't see the point of having a day dedicated to women tbh. I support equality. Feminism to me seems to be about making women superior nowadays, when it used to be the other way around. :s-smilie:

Sexism towards women does still exist in my opinion, just not as much as it used to. I am aware there's sexism towards men; 'double standards' being one of the main forms. Feminism has become a joke now. Fair enough celebrating stuff like 100 years of women having the vote, but I don't see why we'd need an International Women's Day for any other reason. If the Suffragettes could only see what feminism has become.

Edit: I finished reading your post. I mostly agree with it.

Literally this 👌
Original post by Toums
Anyone can take a key position in a society, I specifically meant taking a position without support. It is similar with being an entreprenuer and running the risk of losing everything - men will take these gambles, most women won't. There's a reason all top entreprenuers you see are male.

To say women are more vocal than men in meetings is even objectively speaking, incorrect (and I'm sure you know that).

She is there to fill a quota, because many more ready and applicable men will have applied for reasons I explained before. How do I know this? Why do women only trading games exist? Women only breakfasts? I know girls who got into banks via these 2 routes. They exist to fill the female quota and agenda. Nothing else. Nada.

How do I know women use their body and position to get promotions etc? I work in an investment bank - it's common knowledge if you know the right people. I've seen this. I know of girls who did such things to get into places.

What I'm fundamentally saying is that the young woman of today strongly belives in girl powers, in female rights, in females being great, in not stopping them from pushing on, in not Holding them back, in giving them equal pay etc etc Noone is stopping them - only themselves do. Noone is holding them back - they are given too much opportunity in this modern day relative to how many of them are competing. They are not born legless and armless, or disabled. They need to stop parading the idea of women being trated unfairly, they are not.

How do you know that women aren't going to take risks? I know plenty of women that take incredibly big risks in business.

How do you know that women objectively speak less during meetings than men?

How do you know that there were more ready and applicable men for the job than that girl was?

As others have said you've only provided anecdotes as evidence of your beliefs.
Original post by SHallowvale
My apologies,

Your apology is not accepted.

I seem to get that impression because almost all of the threads you make are about feminism... particularly complaining about something.

i don’t see how this relates to your claim that all anti feminist threads are made by me.
I wouldn't go around saying all women got their high end positions purely because of quotas simply on the basis of the fact that they're female. Presumably a number of them are actually suitable for doing the job or they would've been eventually gotten rid of due to terrible performance, no?

I see where you're going. You almost had an argument but instead made a post entirely out of rhetoric and anecdotal evidence so it's quite hard to sympathise.
Original post by Toums
My personal 'limited' experience. 4 years of University and 3 in the workplace. Yep, nothing at all!

I make bold statements and do not back them up - you mean like the one you said about in an intellectual debate I would be screwed? Ye you really show a strong argument there!

If that makes you happy going to sleep tonght and kidding yourself, good for you. Poor you though.

I would assume by limited experience what they mean is the fact that you only account for the one uni course you did and the maybe handful of jobs you've had, compared to the hundreds of unis and the thousands of jobs out there.
Original post by CookieButter
Your apology is not accepted, i don’t see how this relates to your claim that all anti feminist threads are made by me.

What I said was an exaggeration and shouldn't have been taken seriously. I was mainly making fun of the fact that you post a lot of anti-feminist/anti-feminism threads.
Original post by Toums
Why do women only trading games exist? Women only breakfasts? I know girls who got into banks via these 2 routes. They exist to fill the female quota and agenda. Nothing else. Nada.

I did not know about these things...Society is just now starting to question gynocentrism. This is starting to expose misandry that has lay hidden for decades behind a gynocentric vail pulled over our eyes by feminism.

Let me give you an equivalent example of sex discrimination against men from the world of radiography:

Mammography is a highly competitive, highly paid role and in this country its reserved strictly for women. Regulations forbid men from becoming mammographers. There are no such restrictions on women in any area of radiology. As in women can work in all areas of radiology including those that involve the scanning of male sex organs without any restrictions...but men can't. Radiography students have to complete clinical competencies. This involves them working in and carrying out scans in all areas of radiographic medicine. They have to spend time in mammography in hospital where they are taught to carry out scans competently. When I studied radiography and this is still the case to this day, i was not allowed to enter mammography rooms. When it came to completing my mammography competencies my tutor simply crossed that section of the competencies book out for all male students. We were denied a proper education in mammography. Female radiographers on the other hand get the full experience. As in, male radiography students are not getting an equal education to their female counterparts despite being required to pay equal tuition fees.

We live in a society that has ignored men for millennia...men are just now starting to critically analyse society and the way it treats them. Only now are we starting to identify the sexism that is perpetrated against us in favour of women. The more people discuss these issues the more you will realise that we live in a gynocentric, female privileged world.

What I said was an exaggeration and shouldn't have been taken seriously. I was mainly making fun of the fact that you post a lot of anti-feminist/anti-feminism threads.

Exaggerations, weapons of people who lack a case for their cause.
(edited 6 years ago)
Exaggerations, weapons of people who lack a case for their cause.

Er, ok?

If you actually read the criticism I've given to this thread and your own threads/posts you'll probably see that I don't just use exaggerations, infact I don't believe I use them often at all... except when making fun of something stupid such as your own comments.
Original post by Toums
My personal 'limited' experience. 4 years of University and 3 in the workplace. Yep, nothing at all!

Your personal experience is narrow and niche. While what you report is most likely accurate in your field, it's not representative across all.

I spent a few years in the armed forces and could easily talk about how, as only 15% of the service personnel are women, the men were the majority in everything, but that wouldn't really be telling the whole story, would it?
except when making fun of something stupid such as your own comments.

Mockery and vitriol, staples of feminism and other weapons of a people who lack a case for their cause.
Mockery and vitriol, staples of feminism and other weapons of a people who lack a case for their cause.

Again, if you read the criticism I've given you'd see that it does not depend upon mockery, insults, etc. I only use that when making final or side comments.
Again, if you read the criticism I've given you'd see that it does not depend upon mockery, insults, etc. I only use that when making final or side comments.

The entirety of your replies to me thus far have not addressed ANY of the points that I have raised. You have only resorted to mockery and abuse, not as final or side arguments as you claim but as the main argument of your replies to me....

Deceit, another staple of feminism and weapon of a weak people who lack a case for their cause.
(edited 6 years ago)
The entirety of your replies to me thus far have not addressed ANY of the points that I have raised. You have only resorted to mockery and abuse, not as final or a side arguments as you claim but as the main argument of your comments....deceit, another staple of feminism and weapon of a weak people who lack a case for the cause.

You are wrong.

Example 1:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=76536940&highlight=

Here I reject the claims you are making and provide reasons for me doing so. I also counter the sensationalism of what you are saying. Then, I insult you.

Example 2:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=76456538&highlight=

After calling me an ignoramus and simpleton for stating my own experiences, you list a number of things that feminism has caused and you claim they're bad things. I challenge them one by one and question why you believed that feminism teaches women to become lesbians. Then, I insult you.

Example 3:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5208762

This is an answer to your question, which is not in any way rude.
You are wrong.

Example 1:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=76536940&highlight=

Here I reject the claims you are making and provide reasons for me doing so. I also counter the sensationalism of what you are saying. Then, I insult you.

Example 2:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=76456538&highlight=

After calling me an ignoramus and simpleton for stating my own experiences, you list a number of things that feminism has caused and you claim they're bad things. I challenge them one by one and question why you believed that feminism teaches women to become lesbians. Then, I insult you.

Example 3:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5208762

This is an answer to your question, which is not in any way rude.

Firstly, this is a false equivalence. You cannot justify your mockery and abuse in this thread by citing replies to other topics in other threads. Here, in this thread, your main arguments against me have thus far been abuse, mockery and deceit.
Secondly, you cannot justify these abuses anywhere.

Lets now add illogic to that list too. Another trait inherent to feminism and a people lacking a case for their cause.
(edited 6 years ago)
Firstly, this is a false equivalence. You cannot justify your mockery and abuse in this thread by citing replies to other topics in other threads. Here, in this thread, your main arguments against me have thus far been abuse, mockery and deceit.
Secondly, you cannot justify these practices anywhere.

Lets now add illogic to that list too. Another trait inherent to feminism and a people lacking a case for their cause.

Are you capable of interacting with people without crying about feminism every five seconds? It must be a pretty sh*t existence to dedicate so much of your life thinking about something you hate so strongly, and frustrating that very few people even gives a fraction of the amount of sh*ts you do about the topic.
Original post by cat_mac
Are you capable of interacting with people without crying about feminism every five seconds? It must be a pretty sh*t existence to dedicate so much of your life thinking about something you hate so strongly, and frustrating that very few people even gives a fraction of the amount of sh*ts you do about the topic.

Inferiority complex.
Original post by cat_mac

Original post by Drewski
Inferiority complex.

Those real feminist intellectuals that we were reffering to on page one are starting to show up now and they are totally "rebuking" the arguments in this thread with those main weapons of feminism, insults and mockery.

Original post by cat_mac

"Here is a mantra, short one, that I give you. You imprint it on your heart and let every breath of yours give expression to it. The mantra is "do or die"." Mahatma Ghandi.
(edited 6 years ago)
Secondly, you cannot justify these abuses anywhere.

In this thread I don't believe I have made any argument against your points (be it insultive or otherwise). I have given examples of other threads where I have done this without insulting you.

Hell, the only thing I've done in this thread is make fun of something you said and you took it was too personally.
the only thing I've done in this thread is make fun of something you said and you took it was too personally.

Sir, you have only resorted to mockery and abuse in this thread as your main arguments against me....as in your replies to my comments have been nothing but personal insults with no counterargument to speak of. How else do you expect me to take them but personally?

Mockery and vitriol cannot be justified under any circumstance and in any thread. They are always destructive and wrong no matter where you imploy them and whom you employ them against. If you think someone is stupid you expose and refute their stupidity with logic not with mockery and insults. Mockery and vitriol say more about you and what you stand for than they do about me and what I stand for.

"Mockery and ridicule rest on a false opinion and indicate an imperfection in he who mocks and ridicules.” Baruch Spinoza.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest