The Student Room Group

I ain't buying any of this 'International Womens Day' / female self promotion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Why has it become alright for everyone to throw cheap digs at each other these days under the ruse of “feminism/anti-feminism”?
Just because I want my voice heard does not mean that I want others of the opposing gender to be silenced...
There is a “pity me” attitude more so present in the world today but it’s not only shown in females. As was referenced, we have a higher suicide rating than generation previous. Though with a higher rate of males to females.
That could be down to many things. Some argue that evolution has made men react quicker without thought (defend the family) where as women will re-contemplate the same idea several times before acting (protect the family).
Boys are constantly told emotions = weakness. Though I grew up feeling unable to express emotion and I’m female, so perhaps it’s not gender based but self perception?
Women are disadvantaged and held back by straight white males dominating the jobs. Women are as capable, yeah. Men are the problem. You have men in power picking more men to replace them. There's literally noway for women to enter the destructive cycle.
But that’s the entire point.

Women are less confident than men in the workplace and at university. Studies show that women contribute less to lectures and meetings because they are less confident, their voices are quieter.

This is what needs to be tackled and this is exactly the purpose of international woman’s day. So you saying that it’s bull **** on that basis is ironic, considering that is exactly why it’s needed.
No one sits there making excuses for shyer boys or attributes any lack of success they experience to their shyness. I'd like to know which "studies" these are, as it's easy to produce a "study" arriving at a particular conclusion, much harder to back it up through a rigorous method and reproduce the results. Girls are constantly "empowered" through a variety of media to be confident etc., so I am wondering what is exactly is missing at this point to make them more confident? Maybe it's the fact that the two genders exhibit different hormonal levels and that influences assertiveness and daring? If so, if women with these traits are succeeding in their chosen career paths - and they are - where's the problem?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TCA2b
No one sits there making excuses for shyer boys or attributes any lack of success they experience to their shyness. I'd like to know which "studies" these are, as it's easy to produce a "study" arriving at a particular conclusion, much harder to back it up through a rigorous method and reproduce the results.

But the funny thing is, you’d agree with any old “study” that supported your opinion and disagree with anyone that goes against it. So transparent.

There’s a considerably body of psychological research into this, you can find it your self. Or do you need to me to show you how?

Of course a person would attribute a lack of success to a boys shyness? Idiot.
Blah blah blah "ohh we work so hard and we get nothing" yeah cause you need to step up your game.

Those women that are complaining about stuff, we need to learn from them. Yeah it's "unfair" but what isn't. I want to learn from these feminazis what's their secret, how do they get credit and opportunities by whining and without moving their fat butt?

Work smart, not hard. *points finger to head*. Play their own game.

The biggest jokes are the men that wear those "the future is female!" t-shirts and whatnot like LOL you ain't getting anything and you're still whining. At least the female femnazis are getting something, what are the pussy men getting? They're not getting women, that's what I can tell you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Waldorf67
But the funny thing is, you’d agree with any old “study” that supported your opinion and disagree with anyone that goes against it. So transparent.

There’s a considerably body of psychological research into this, you can find it your self. Or do you need to me to show you how?

I expect you to link the so-called studies. Psychology is one of the most egregious perpetrators in terms of producing studies that cannot be reproduced and cannot be called scientific in any regard, with the exception perhaps of IQ studies.

Of course a person would attribute a lack of success to a boys shyness?

At the same time, they wouldn't be given a free pass for it and would be told it is something they need to work on.

Idiot.

My, aren't you a jumped up little buffoon. Not liking the fact that your gender studies worldview is being questioned?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TCA2b
Fine, however don't think I am going to "privilege" the use of the word "privilege" with any more dignity than it deserves. To me it is just envy dressed up in a finer gown. Yes, most traits aren't "earned" - it's what you do with them that counts. Equally, I will not - and I suggest no one else does so either - sit there pining over whether or not I "deserved" to inherit a particular trait, as it is meaningless in the context of natural selection, nor will I allow it to rob me of a sense of pride in those traits I do possess. I think it runs into soul-destroying nihilism when it gets to the point of simply explaining away all, most, whatever quantum of failures or successes as hinging on some highly abstract distillation of the fact that natural selection produces bell curve distributions along certain traits. Ultimately the excuses eventually must fall away and what a person should be judged on is how well they use their traits.

Agreed to that extent.

Speaking from my own point of view, when I use the term "privilege" to describe those who could arguably be considered genetically "superior" e.g.; more intelligent it is not a statement of envy, rather than one of acknowledgement. Some people are just smarter than other people, it happens and you accept it. However, like you said, it isn't an excuse to go not go out and be the very best you can be. The fact that some people are more naturally inclined to be better at mathematics than myself, for example, doesn't stop me working hard to do the best I can.
Reply 68
Original post by Becca G
Hell I don’t even know where to start.... there’s just too much misogyny in one group of text.

Okay, so you believe that women are self pitying, and have too much self promotion, etc. 1- why the hell do you care??? Why does the rise of women somehow threaten you? Women can’t do a single f*cking thing nowadays without men having to give their entitled opinion, or act like women should actually care what they say. NEWSFLASH: women are empowering themselves BECAUSE of all the crap we’ve had to put up with in the past, usually due to men’s short comings.
Let me remind you that in America in the 1970s, women still couldn’t use a damn credit card without her husband’s ‘permission’, since he had to sign it off. And that worldwide, women are 80% of victims in acid attacks. And that in Canada, one in 5 women will be raped. And that in Hollywood, 96% of female actresses have encountered sexual assault in their career.
But no, you’re pissed that women are suddenly fighting back? GTF over it.

Are you honestly that small minded to think that just coz you’ve seen men apparently work harder in the workplace, suddenly ALL women are lazy?
Maybe the reason why women are less vocal in meetings is because douches like you believe women are too opinionated, too outspoken and b*tchy whenever they speak their mind. It’s also most likely due to the fact that women face LOTS more opposition to get jobs in STEM or big businesses, because misogynistic little boys like you believe the lies you’ve been told since the f*cking Middle Ages: that women are less capable than men.

I’ve grown tired of little menininsts like you who have to direct every problem back to how “men are so hardly done by”, “men are so disadvantaged”, bla bla bla. Can’t you just accept that both men and women face problems? Instead of belittling women’s issues to give yourself a booster, try and empathise first. Trust me, I could rant about this for hours, but you’re attention span’s probably ran out by now anyway.

Classic angry feminist looking to ram down our throat the female agenda. This is 2018, not the 1970's dear. You have never been done over in any way as you appear to claim. Again, my sympathy goes to disabled people who have genuine disadvantages in the world of work.

'Fighting back' nothing to do with the claims you made.

Again classic blaming men for women not speaking up *facepalm*. Take responsibility.

You also have a problem reading as I clearly said women are as capable as men. Can only assume you are therefore very bitter (and rude)

Get over yourself.
Original post by Toums
...This is 2018, not the 1970's dear...

The way people talk, doesn't always seem like it.
Original post by Toums
A little rant as I've grown tired of this self promotion, self pitying mantra that young women are putting out on their social media.

In all my experience of University and working at an investment bank - when the class ended it was only boys who queued up to speak to the lecturer, it was mostly boys who asked questions in class, it was mostly boys who hadthe courage to lead socieites on their own. At work, 75% of the people sat at their desk at 7.30am when I arrived were men. In meetings, it was mostly men who spoke up. When 5pm came, it was mostly women who would shoot off. etc etc I could go on and on. These are all truths I saw with my own two eyes.

I honestly just don't get it. I want to stress that I think women are EVERY bit as capable as men. Yet in line with my previous paragraph, I absolutely don't think you deserve equal pay just by virtue of being a woman. I absolutely don't think that you are discriminated in the workplace when compared to men. My reasons for that are in the above paragraph. For every 1x woman, you have maybe 10x men in most situations related to work (and even sport). That's the thing, it all comes down to ratios.

A girl on Linkedin put a self promotion message up saying that during an internship at an investment bank she was told by a male intern that she was fillinf a quota, and that women are as capable as men etc etc. I'm sorry but, you generally are filling a quota. If we did it on probabilities, there are greater numbers of men out there in your shoes. That's not to say she's not as capable, but she is filling a quota. That's why there are women only breakfasts, women trading games, women only events, woman scholarships. I know of women who got into investment banks for the wrong reasons also (I'll let you work it out) - taking advantage of who they are basically - I suppose that is alright also? All of this and then you are discriminated against in the workforce? Really?

I've just grown tired of the attitude of modern day women. It's always me, me me, poor me and my discriminated life. You would think they were born with no arms and no legs - I find their self pitying incredible. My brother is autistic and he works at ASDA - that's where my sympathy and support goes.

Females have every bit of opportunity and power as men. Many say well society teaches us this and that and that we are not good enough. We need greater inclusion etc etc.. Tough! Do these woman ever stop to puase and think about the male suicide rate in this country and what society has done to these men to make them do that? Do they ever pause and think about something that doesn't relate to themselves, that carried far more importance? It's just not enough to justify the constant poor me attitude, I can't do anything because of men.

Another silly Linkedin post today by someone at McKinsey talking about a lecture given to men to not be scared of women in STEM degrees! They make it sound like men look up to women and think they are the Lionel Messi's in the workforce. I'd loveto have been there and asked her why less females apply for these roles! (hence less of them in the workforce). But of course, she probably would have said that they feel as though society has taught them this and that etc. Again, not good enough. I'd prefer some honesty like a lady on Linkedin who recently said questions what women are doing for each other? That they always expect from men.

I'm sorry but I just don't feel any sympathy towards women, just by virtue of being a woman. I find it insulting actually. There's much worse discrimination out there. It's funny that many women complain about being discriminated against, but are equally happy to use their body andposition to abuse their power and work their way into positions. Have you ever thought of the men who have been discriminated against in thos situations? I feel sorry for people who deserve sympathy, support and encouragement, like my brother. I think these are the people we should be supporting and encouraging.

Am I the only on with these thoughts?

First off: TL; DR.

Anyway, I don't buy it either. I don't think that anyone needs a movement or event to speak on their behalf. However, awareness campaigns can be effective.
Original post by Toums
A little rant as I've grown tired of this self promotion, self pitying mantra that young women are putting out on their social media.

In all my experience of University and working at an investment bank - when the class ended it was only boys who queued up to speak to the lecturer, it was mostly boys who asked questions in class, it was mostly boys who hadthe courage to lead socieites on their own. At work, 75% of the people sat at their desk at 7.30am when I arrived were men. In meetings, it was mostly men who spoke up. When 5pm came, it was mostly women who would shoot off. etc etc I could go on and on. These are all truths I saw with my own two eyes.

I honestly just don't get it. I want to stress that I think women are EVERY bit as capable as men. Yet in line with my previous paragraph, I absolutely don't think you deserve equal pay just by virtue of being a woman. I absolutely don't think that you are discriminated in the workplace when compared to men. My reasons for that are in the above paragraph. For every 1x woman, you have maybe 10x men in most situations related to work (and even sport). That's the thing, it all comes down to ratios.

A girl on Linkedin put a self promotion message up saying that during an internship at an investment bank she was told by a male intern that she was fillinf a quota, and that women are as capable as men etc etc. I'm sorry but, you generally are filling a quota. If we did it on probabilities, there are greater numbers of men out there in your shoes. That's not to say she's not as capable, but she is filling a quota. That's why there are women only breakfasts, women trading games, women only events, woman scholarships. I know of women who got into investment banks for the wrong reasons also (I'll let you work it out) - taking advantage of who they are basically - I suppose that is alright also? All of this and then you are discriminated against in the workforce? Really?

I've just grown tired of the attitude of modern day women. It's always me, me me, poor me and my discriminated life. You would think they were born with no arms and no legs - I find their self pitying incredible. My brother is autistic and he works at ASDA - that's where my sympathy and support goes.

Females have every bit of opportunity and power as men. Many say well society teaches us this and that and that we are not good enough. We need greater inclusion etc etc.. Tough! Do these woman ever stop to puase and think about the male suicide rate in this country and what society has done to these men to make them do that? Do they ever pause and think about something that doesn't relate to themselves, that carried far more importance? It's just not enough to justify the constant poor me attitude, I can't do anything because of men.

Another silly Linkedin post today by someone at McKinsey talking about a lecture given to men to not be scared of women in STEM degrees! They make it sound like men look up to women and think they are the Lionel Messi's in the workforce. I'd loveto have been there and asked her why less females apply for these roles! (hence less of them in the workforce). But of course, she probably would have said that they feel as though society has taught them this and that etc. Again, not good enough. I'd prefer some honesty like a lady on Linkedin who recently said questions what women are doing for each other? That they always expect from men.

I'm sorry but I just don't feel any sympathy towards women, just by virtue of being a woman. I find it insulting actually. There's much worse discrimination out there. It's funny that many women complain about being discriminated against, but are equally happy to use their body andposition to abuse their power and work their way into positions. Have you ever thought of the men who have been discriminated against in thos situations? I feel sorry for people who deserve sympathy, support and encouragement, like my brother. I think these are the people we should be supporting and encouraging.

Am I the only on with these thoughts?

First off: TL; DR.

Anyway, I don't buy it either. I don't think that anyone needs a movement or event to speak on their behalf. However, awareness campaigns can be effective.

Original post by SHallowvale
I've found that female students ask more questions than male students and take more key positions in running societies. At work, almost all people are at their desk (why does the time of day matter?) and in meetings women are the most vocal. Most people leave 'on time' though the people doing most of the overtime have been women. This goes for both higher and lower positions.

If the point you're trying to make is that women do less work then I disagree based upon my experience.

You've said that the girl working in an investment bank was just there to fill a quota - how do you know this?

You've also said that women use their body and position to abuse power - how do you know this?

As said above, you've painted a picture of women with an incredibly broad brush, almost to the point where you seem to think that all women self-pity, blame men for their failings, etc. In all my experience of working with women I have never once experienced this. It may be because the people you're referring to are women on the internet, of which there is a lot of self-pitying, but the same can easily be said for men (especially on this forum, jeez).

No, it is just that feminists do.
Reply 72
Just encase it hasn’t come to anyone’s attention yet, while each side rants about how “pathetic, desperate or overbearing” they see the other side, the world is nearly 50/50 men to women.
So, and this may be a wild idea here, why not stop arguing how your gender is being undermined, accept that each side has it hard and then actively go out there with the intent to make the world a better place.
Just because women are now speaking out about their ordeals does not make any decent man’s life harder. If he too is against rape, sexual harassment and incorrect stereotyping then there shouldn’t be an issue. That is, unless he has something he’s worried a woman might say about him.
And just because women in first world countries struggled decades ago to have the same privileges as men does not mean that all men in this generation are sexist pigs. Some, maybe. But not all.
Yes, life is hard on both sides but believe it or not, working together on this to make the world better for all instead of bickering about who threw the last stone would solve these issues.
Both genders are equally important and equally suppressed in one way or another.
If you had a son or daughter, would you feel alright with how either gender is treated or behaved towards the other these days?
Original post by Peoplekind
Women are disadvantaged and held back by straight white males dominating the jobs. Women are as capable, yeah. Men are the problem. You have men in power picking more men to replace them. There's literally noway for women to enter the destructive cycle.

Mate, are you, by any chance, a fan of this man:

Reply 74
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Yeah, I always found it amusing how the upper-middle class privately educated white women at Cambridge with parents who are doctors/lawyers/bankers complained about how "disadvantaged" they were due to their gender...

Yeah, try being a working class person (of either gender) growing up on a council housing estate.

Exactly - and this is my point. For all that women complain abuot discrimination - there are much, much worse out there.

Yet if you gauge what society is telling you the message is that women are the most discriminated out there with the amount of female promotion going on out there.

It's a crazy world we live in now.
Original post by Toums
Exactly - and this is my point. For all that women complain abuot discrimination - there are much, much worse out there.

Yet if you gauge what society is telling you the message is that women are the most discriminated out there with the amount of female promotion going on out there.

It's a crazy world we live in now.

There is non stop "promotion of women" nowadays tbh.

In my career as a doctor, there are loads of "pro-women" initiatives/propaganda. I find myself rolling my eyes at academic/medical conferences when there are talks on "gender equality" etc.

Obviously people should be treated equally, but I do personally think that things have swung too far the other way.
Reply 76
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
You don’t think women are discriminated but think they shouldn’t get equal pay? I don’t understand that.

Idgaf really, hardly any men do my job and I basically work with all women so luckily don’t come across views such as yours in the workplace.

But across all sectors and areas in life people do not get the same pay for doing the same job (irrespective of gender).

Messi earns more than Suarez, but they both are forwards at Barcelona and have the same job description.

Women are as good as men, but there's more men out there per women (in my opinion). I'd also argue that men are risk takers - that's why most successful entrepreuners are male.

Can you answer me why most successful entrepreneurs are male? Love to hear your answer on that. Ain't nothing to do with discrimination.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by SHallowvale
How do you know that women aren't going to take risks? I know plenty of women that take incredibly big risks in business.

How do you know that women objectively speak less during meetings than men?

How do you know that there were more ready and applicable men for the job than that girl was?

As others have said you've only provided anecdotes as evidence of your beliefs.

You talk about risk.

Let me challenge that. Why are most entrepreneurs male?

Why are most successful entrepreneurs male?

Please answer that inrelation to your point about risk. (nothing to do with discrimination).
Original post by Toums

Can you answer me why most successful entrepreneurs are male? Love to hear your answer on that. Ain't nothing to do with with discrimination.

Because women generally have to choose career or children? That’s probably something to do with it.
Reply 79
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I wouldn't go around saying all women got their high end positions purely because of quotas simply on the basis of the fact that they're female. Presumably a number of them are actually suitable for doing the job or they would've been eventually gotten rid of due to terrible performance, no?

I see where you're going. You almost had an argument but instead made a post entirely out of rhetoric and anecdotal evidence so it's quite hard to sympathise.

I would assume by limited experience what they mean is the fact that you only account for the one uni course you did and the maybe handful of jobs you've had, compared to the hundreds of unis and the thousands of jobs out there.

Oh no, I think there are lots of women who are deservedly there. Equally, there are lots of women who are not. They 'are not' in a way that is only available for their gender to exploit.

Firing someone is not that simple. Lots of people don't do their job well, male or female. You've missed my point. I never said females were not as good as males, they are every bit as good. My argument is ratios per head. Lots more driven, brave, risk taking men out there than woman, but many are essentially held back so companies can fulfill gender quota - hence a lot of women get opportunities due to their gender.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending