Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so my last phone died unexpectedly, and my niece was kind enough to give me her phone. She somehow got it locked and I can't use the phone until I get it unlocked. It asks for a sim card; when I insert my Three sim card, it doesn't like it and says, "your iphone could not be activated because the activation server cannot be reached. try connecting your iphone to itunes to activate it, or try again in a few minutes."

I find out earlier that she was with O2, so would the phone unlock if I were to get it an O2 sim card?

I know **** all about phones, so please excuse me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why not go to a phone shop?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's possible the phone is locked to O2 and you'd need to purchase, pay someone to or find out how to unlock the phone. By "locked" I assume you don't mean it has a password/passcode that is locking the phone, but that it isn't working with the SIM card you are using?

I'm not an Apple expert but this seems to cover everything you need, assuming the issue is a network lock and not something related to password locks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    It's possible the phone is locked to O2 and you'd need to purchase, pay someone to or find out how to unlock the phone. By "locked" I assume you don't mean it has a password/passcode that is locking the phone, but that it isn't working with the SIM card you are using?

I'm not an Apple expert but this seems to cover everything you need, assuming the issue is a network lock and not something related to password locks.
    I've decided I'm gonna go down to the O2 store and ask them to unlock it.
    It's not to do with passwords, the phone just gets stuck at a screen which asks for a sim card. It won't take any others and I'm assuming that my knowledge of it being an O2 phone will help get it unlocked at an O2 store...?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Joel 96)
    I've decided I'm gonna go down to the O2 store and ask them to unlock it.
    It's not to do with passwords, the phone just gets stuck at a screen which asks for a sim card. It won't take any others and I'm assuming that my knowledge of it being an O2 phone will help get it unlocked at an O2 store...?
    Ah then yeah, sounds like it is just locked to the carrier. Not necessarily worth paying the carrier themselves to unlock it though, as they may well charge you more than someone elsewhere will. Check with them but if it sounds expensive, odds are you can get it cheaper elsewhere. If you know it is locked to O2 then yes, they should be able to unlock it for you though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Ah then yeah, sounds like it is just locked to the carrier. Not necessarily worth paying the carrier themselves to unlock it though, as they may well charge you more than someone elsewhere will. Check with them but if it sounds expensive, odds are you can get it cheaper elsewhere. If you know it is locked to O2 then yes, they should be able to unlock it for you though
    Thanks for the help. Would another option be that I could get a sim card/contract from O2? Might be easier considering your point on them charging me more.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Joel 96)
    Thanks for the help. Would another option be that I could get a sim card/contract from O2? Might be easier considering your point on them charging me more.
    That's an option but may work out more expensive in the long run. You're probably looking at £10 to £15 to unlock a phone, assuming you have to pay at all. My comment about them charging more was just in case they try to take advantage of you for not knowing. I'm not sure on the exact laws around it but I'm aware that under some circumstances the carriers aren't allowed to charge. It's something you'd have to look into based on your exact requirements and go ask them about it.

This is the page on it from O2, I don't know which category/time frame you fall under and tbh since it was your niece's phone to begin with they might not unlock it unless she asks. I have no idea as I've never had to do it before. Reading on that page, it suggests they can only unlock it online and since the phone is your niece's, she'll probably have to log into her account to request the unlock. There's also mention of how if you have an iPhone you need to connect it to iTunes. Is it possible that the phone is already unlocked but only requesting you connect to an iTunes account to complete?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 12, 2018
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.