Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    warwick has a better name than sheffield as a university but sheffield has a better mechanical engineering program.
    which university will give me a better chance to get a good job with a good salary.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by suliya)
    warwick has a better name than sheffield as a university but sheffield has a better mechanical engineering program.
    which university will give me a better chance to get a good job with a good salary.
    I think Sheffield has a very good name in engineering, but ultimately it's you that has to get the job and the salary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I think Sheffield has a very good name in engineering, but ultimately it's you that has to get the job and the salary.
    thanks. but if an employer is keen on what uni i attended, which uni will give a better impression.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think that employers would be able to distinguish between Sheffield and Warwick for mechanical since they both aren't the best engineering unis, comparing if you had to choose between imperial, ox bridge or Sheffield then it would've mattered. So i think you need to look at what course you like better between Sheffield and Warwick cuz that would be your home for the next 3 or 4 years. Dont worry too much about employability too much at this stage since a lot can change in the next 3 to 4 years. For now focus on getting the grades to get to the uni first and then when you get to uni focus on getting a first or 2:1. Now getting those would give a better impression to the employer. Best of luck and keep working hard.
    (Original post by suliya)
    thanks. but if an employer is keen on what uni i attended, which uni will give a better impression.

ReputationRep:
    Go for the course you prefer, there is little difference in their reputations for engineering. They are both very good. It is quite close minded to just be thinking about 'which uni will give a better impression'. You need to choose the one you feel most comfortable at if you do want to get a first/2.1.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.