Turn on thread page Beta

My lecturer's accent makes it very hard to listen to her watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Why is everyone saying the OP is racist, where exactly is the racism in her post?
    Why we do we need evidence for our witchhunts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomW624)
    I know how much effort goes into changing the way you speak, got a lisp myself and reduced it through speech therapy, and my partner is Romanian so she had to learn how to speak English well to come to uni here. I guess it also depends on how long she's been here, when she needed to start using English as a main language because obviously if she's older and never really had to before it would be much more challenging for her, young people are way more adaptable.

As said before get together and bring it up as a class, or alternatively speak to your personal tutor or your course leader and see if they will help, she may be more receptive if it comes from her peers.
    Kudos to you for reducing your lisp; it must have required a lot of effort. My partner is Romanian as well and, just like me, he is actively trying to improve his speech. We even agreed to keep each other accountable by pointing out mistakes if either of us slips up. We struggle with different sorts of sounds so it's been really useful so far. Again, the common point here is, we are all trying to improve our speech and actually attaining positive results.

My lecturer has been living in the UK for 17 years. She seems to be in her late 30s so she must have come here around the same age I did. She's a reputable academic with many connections so not sure how she would respond to a criticism of this kind. There wasn't much appetite to actually do something about this issue the last time I asked my classmates - they are understandably worried about the way she might react. We have another lecturer teaching today so I'll try to think of a way to bring this up to her as tactfully as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Why is everyone saying the OP is racist, where exactly is the racism in her post?
    First,

No one said that OP is racist...

Second,

OP originally said that being foreign makes you less racist, we were discussing/calling out the flaw in that logic, OP deleted that part so as not to distract new readers and we have moved on. Apart from deleting it has now caused even more confusion :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Why we do we need evidence for our witchhunts?
    There was originally a dodgy comment there, but the OP edited it so we moved on from that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Rose for Epona)
    Kudos to you for reducing your lisp; it must have required a lot of effort. My partner is Romanian as well and, just like me, he is actively trying to improve his speech. We even agreed to keep each other accountable by pointing out mistakes if either of us slips up. We struggle with different sorts of sounds so it's been really useful so far. Again, the common point here is, we are all trying to improve our speech and actually attaining positive results.

My lecturer has been living in the UK for 17 years. She seems to be in her late 30s so she must have come here around the same age I did. She's a reputable academic with many connections so not sure how she would respond to a criticism of this kind. There wasn't much appetite to actually do something about this issue the last time I asked my classmates - they are understandably worried about the way she might react. We have another lecturer teaching today so I'll try to think of a way to bring this up to her as tactfully as possible.
    Fair enough 17 years is a long time but as I said before some people just struggle even with increased work on it. I guess what wouldn't help is that English is your second language and you will perceive/think about how it sounds in one way and same for he,r where as for those of us with it as a first language i guess we can kinda guess or fill in the blanks of what she is saying a bit more.

It is just one of those hurdles everyone has to learn to deal with, I mean I'm learning Romanian and I will never have the accent down, people usually just guess what I'm trying to go for.

ReputationRep:
    yeah had this problem throughout course. half of my lecturers have been foreign the Chinese lecturers are the hardest to understand but there was this one from Ghana and I understood very little. idk why the lecturers can’t be mainly British. not racist to think that only the easy to offend whinny *****es would think that

ReputationRep:
    Then I’m afraid there’s not a whole lot you can do apart from self recording. I think it’s just one of those things you’ll
    have to put up with. Don’t worry we all struggle to understand particular accents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomW624)
    Fair enough 17 years is a long time but as I said before some people just struggle even with increased work on it. I guess what wouldn't help is that English is your second language and you will perceive/think about how it sounds in one way and same for he,r where as for those of us with it as a first language i guess we can kinda guess or fill in the blanks of what she is saying a bit more.

It is just one of those hurdles everyone has to learn to deal with, I mean I'm learning Romanian and I will never have the accent down, people usually just guess what I'm trying to go for.
    You made a good point there. Maybe her accent bothers us this much because pretty much everyone on my course speaks English as a second language. Not only do we struggle more with understanding non-native accents but also we tend to be more annoyed with someone who is supposed to be 'above' us as a lecturer and yet doesn't speak English as well.

My partner makes so much fun of my pronunciation in Romanian sometimes, ha! It must be even harder for a native English speaker as I'm comfortable with some sounds because they are present in my native language (â, ș).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Rose for Epona)
    You made a good point there. Maybe her accent bothers us this much because pretty much everyone on my course speaks English as a second language. Not only do we struggle more with understanding non-native accents but also we tend to be more annoyed with someone who is supposed to be 'above' us as a lecturer and yet doesn't speak English as well.

My partner makes so much fun of my pronunciation in Romanian sometimes, ha! It must be even harder for a native English speaker as I'm comfortable with some sounds because they are present in my native language (â, ș).
    Yup all those little additions to letters and what not are the bane of my life haha

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.