Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been sick for almost a week, had fever everyday above 38C along with feeling nauseous, no appetite, sore throat & cough, headaches, runny nose etc. So I guess all that counts as flu because when I have cold I can manage it and still go to work and it usually clears off in 2 weeks. But I've never been so sick in like 12-15 years and this is the worst I had.

Is there any chance a GP would prescribe me something else that would get me out of this misery?
    Also, I am going to call my workplace today and tell them I won't be coming in till Friday which still leaves Saturday and Sunday for me to work on or perhaps GP could write me a sick note and then I wouldn't have to come in for those remaining days either?

I work in temperature controlled environment and mostly have to spend a lot of time in just +5 so it worries me that this flu might continue on and on & on without me getting any better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    I've been sick for almost a week, had fever everyday above 38C along with feeling nauseous, no appetite, sore throat & cough, headaches, runny nose etc. So I guess all that counts as flu because when I have cold I can manage it and still go to work and it usually clears off in 2 weeks. But I've never been so sick in like 12-15 years and this is the worst I had.

Is there any chance a GP would prescribe me something else that would get me out of this misery?
    Also, I am going to call my workplace today and tell them I won't be coming in till Friday which still leaves Saturday and Sunday for me to work on or perhaps GP could write me a sick note and then I wouldn't have to come in for those remaining days either?

I work in temperature controlled environment and mostly have to spend a lot of time in just +5 so it worries me that this flu might continue on and on & on without me getting any better.
    GPs don't like prescribing things like antibiotics for viruses, so they'll probably just recommend taking paracetamol/ibuprofen, drinking lots of fluids to flush the flu out, and resting as much as your body needs to.

Your GP will give you a sick note if you are currently ill and want to be signed off for the following week/few days/whenever. They won't be able to give you one retrospectively though (once you are well you can't get a note for days when you were ill), so keep that in mind.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by ForgetMe)

I would try a pharmacy first. There's not actually much doctors can do for flu cos it's viral so things like antibiotics won't affect it. Pharmacy can give you stuff like lemsip which unless you're getting separate complications beyond flu is really all your GP can do too.
    As far as a sick not goes you only need one if you're off sick for more than 7 days so unless that's going to be the case you don't need to see your GP for that either.

If things are really bad and stuff from the pharmacy doesn't help or you're going to be off sick for more than 7 days then by all means go see your GP, but otherwise I'd stick to the pharmacy cos it'll be quicker and they'll be able to do just as much as your GP would.

Here's a link from the NHS too:
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/flu/

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ForgetMe;76551778]I've been sick for almost a week, had fever everyday above 38C along with feeling nauseous, no appetite, sore throat
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What? Apps not working... sorry it’s just reposted what you said op.

Speak to your GP and they’ll give you appropriate advice and a note if need be. It has only been a week though. If only work places recognised that flu can take between a week to 2 to get over.

What job do you do and do you work 7 days a week?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.