Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I was wondering what the prospects for graduates of undergrad Politics/IR degrees are? I couldn't find any information online...
    I'm especially interested in prospects of entry into grad degree programmes at other British unis (e.g. LSE, Oxbridge).
    As untrustworthy as uni rankings are, it looks like Edinburgh is considered more highly internationally than in the UK and I'm worried that may be an issue...
    Would really appreciate any stats/personal experiences you may have
    Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Doremi963)
    Hi,
    I was wondering what the prospects for graduates of undergrad Politics/IR degrees are? I couldn't find any information online...
    I'm especially interested in prospects of entry into grad degree programmes at other British unis (e.g. LSE, Oxbridge).
    As untrustworthy as uni rankings are, it looks like Edinburgh is considered more highly internationally than in the UK and I'm worried that may be an issue...
    Would really appreciate any stats/personal experiences you may have
    Thanks!
    Graduate programmes tend to only ask for a 2:1. They don't really care where you got your degree from.

Here is the UNISTATS data on employment for MA International Relations at Edinburgh. You can search for the same data for other universities on the top left of the website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Graduate programmes tend to only ask for a 2:1. They don't really care where you got your degree from.

Here is the UNISTATS data on employment for MA International Relations at Edinburgh. You can search for the same data for other universities on the top left of the website.
    Thanks!
    I looked at UNISTATS earlier actually, but I guess my question was more about where people could be continuing their education (as in the general perception of the UoE politics/IR dept. in the UK)

From what I've seen it seems they care where you got your degree -

(Original post by Capricancer)
    Would be interesting to see if ranked the universities for application/offer rates!

(Original post by Doonesbury)
    Your wish is my command

NB. I've filtered it for universities with at least 100 applicants to Cambridge since 2013

# : University : Offer Rate
    1 : Cambridge : 76.1%
    2 : MIT : 73.0%
    3 : Princeton : 70.9%
    4 : Harvard : 62.9%
    5 : Brown : 62.6%
    6 : Stanford : 58.8%
    7 : Oxford : 53.4%
    8 : U Pennsylvania : 51.8%
    9 : Melbourne : 51.4%
    10 : Columbia : 50.6%
    11 : Chicago : 50.0%
    12 : Sydney : 49.2%
    13 : Trinity College Dublin : 48.7%
    14 : National University of Singapore : 47.8%
    15 : NYU : 46.0%
    16 : Cape Town : 44.7%
    17 : Cornell : 44.0%
    18 : UC Berkeley : 43.5%
    19 : St Andrews : 42.6%
    20 : McGill : 42.0%
    21 : KCL : 41.1%
    22 : Edinburgh : 40.4%
    23 : Sussex : 39.6%
    24 : SOAS : 38.3%
    25 : UCL : 37.3%
    26 : Durham : 37.2%
    27 : British Columbia : 34.4%
    28 : Newcastle : 34.1%
    29 : Imperial : 33.5%
    30 : Leeds : 33.5%
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...t=st%20andrews

- Although of course it's hard to reach any conclusion from stats like this because some universities may encourage their students to send more applications, and there may be a different student body at different unis too.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Doremi963)
    Thanks!
    I looked at UNISATS earlier actually, but I guess my question was more about where people could be continuing their education (as in the general perception of the UoE politics/IR dept. in the UK)

From what I've seen it seems they care where you got your degree -

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...t=st%20andrews

- Although of course it's hard to reach any conclusion from stats like this because some universities may encourage their students to send more applications, and there may be a different student body at different unis too.
    That stat really isn't anything to worry about. If you have good marks in a relevant course at any UK university Cambridge (or anywhere) will consider you for postgrad. Your undergrad university is one of the least important factors.

Checking the original data, the average offer rate for MPhil IR/Politics at Cambridge is 35%. For applicants only from Edinburgh it's 44%, from St Andrews it's 53%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    That stat really isn't anything to worry about. If you have good marks in a relevant course at any UK university Cambridge (or anywhere) will consider you for postgrad. Your undergrad university is one of the least important factors.

Checking the original data, the average offer rate for MPhil IR/Politics at Cambridge is 35%. For applicants only from Edinburgh it's 44%, from St Andrews it's 53%
    Hmm ok, thanks for looking it up

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.