Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm 18 and miserable watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and genuinally feel as if my life is over. Im too anxious to get a job so I sit in my house everyday, I've had a few jobs and was miserable in all of them and now it has put me off getting one even though I need one, I am a very anxious person and I'm scared I'm running out of time. I feel very sad because everyone has their life and career path figured out but me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurengould)
    everyone has their life and career path figured out
    I can absolutely guarantee you this is not the case.
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Go to your GP.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I am exactly the same I'm 18. I'm an incredibly anxious, pathetic guy and I don't have many friends. I have my whole life stretched ahead of me but I just have this awful fear that in 30/40 years from now I will have achieved nothing with my life and wasted it entirely. But what I do know is, me and you are certainly not the only people who don't know what to do with their lives. What I've found to be key is to keep searching, not just sitting down and giving up. As hard as it is, sometimes you have to grab life by the scruff of the neck and do what you want to do, and keep looking for what it is. Get a job for the money, but always work towards a job which you will enjoy. Hmu if you want to chat

ReputationRep:
    you only live once. make the most of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    you only live once. make the most of it.
    easier said than done when you have anxiety

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frantika)
    I am exactly the same I'm 18. I'm an incredibly anxious, pathetic guy and I don't have many friends. I have my whole life stretched ahead of me but I just have this awful fear that in 30/40 years from now I will have achieved nothing with my life and wasted it entirely. But what I do know is, me and you are certainly not the only people who don't know what to do with their lives. What I've found to be key is to keep searching, not just sitting down and giving up. As hard as it is, sometimes you have to grab life by the scruff of the neck and do what you want to do, and keep looking for what it is. Get a job for the money, but always work towards a job which you will enjoy. Hmu if you want to chat

thank you, you too. It is very hard as I've gotten into a rut and I can't seem to get out of it, horrible feeling but hoping my life changes for the better

ReputationRep:
    You have to go for things that you will enjoy. Or just accept that even though you don't enjoy anything, you must do whatever brings money in...

ReputationRep:
    get help for your anxiety. you don't have to pay anything.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and genuinally feel as if my life is over. Im too anxious to get a job so I sit in my house everyday, I've had a few jobs and was miserable in all of them and now it has put me off getting one even though I need one, I am a very anxious person and I'm scared I'm running out of time. I feel very sad because everyone has their life and career path figured out but me
    Hey I wouldn’t worry about having your life figured out . I’m 28 and have decided I want to go to university this year. A lot on my course are even older than me. I left school and did what I wanted and forgot about the future to be honest which looking back I wish I did this but I didn’t want to then. And they were the happiest years for me, enjoying being with my horses and working with them too. Now I don’t have my horse , I’ve had to rethink my life which is why I’m trying again at a levels and school. It’s harder for me now but I want it more. I had a very bad time of depression last year and still a little now. I get really bad anxiety. I left a £30k year job to do this so I’m constantlt worrying if it was a mistake. I’m constantly worrying about people, jobs, wether I will actually be any happier once I have a degree but that’s why I’m trying it . I haven’t had another job yet since leaving mine because to be honest I’m the same. I hate change and I’m scared to do it. Even though I have worked a million jobs before but I didn’t used to feel like this. Deffo go doctors. I’m going to go back and change my medication

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ridinghigh95)
    Hey I wouldn’t worry about having your life figured out . I’m 28 and have decided I want to go to university this year. A lot on my course are even older than me. I left school and did what I wanted and forgot about the future to be honest which looking back I wish I did this but I didn’t want to then. And they were the happiest years for me, enjoying being with my horses and working with them too. Now I don’t have my horse , I’ve had to rethink my life which is why I’m trying again at a levels and school. It’s harder for me now but I want it more. I had a very bad time of depression last year and still a little now. I get really bad anxiety. I left a £30k year job to do this so I’m constantlt worrying if it was a mistake. I’m constantly worrying about people, jobs, wether I will actually be any happier once I have a degree but that’s why I’m trying it . I haven’t had another job yet since leaving mine because to be honest I’m the same. I hate change and I’m scared to do it. Even though I have worked a million jobs before but I didn’t used to feel like this. Deffo go doctors. I’m going to go back and change my medication

thank you so much, I hope you are ok and I'll take this advice on board

ReputationRep:
    Anxiety is not a permanent state of being (like your height is); no matter how bad your anxiety problems have become, they can be battled, remedied and alleviated. You just need to develop a genuine will to overcome your anxiety problems (belueve in yourself!) to start seeking help about them. Stop trying to justify worst case scenarios and "catastrophizing" everything, and start battling to think with more positivity and clarity.

Almost nobody has their career or life direction figured out at 18. You haven't even spent one whole year being an adult yet- you have your whole life ahead of you!
    Nothing at this point is final.

Go speak your GP and start looking up self-help website advice for anxiety issues. The only thing holding you back is yourself (so if you are really sick and tired of this current miserable status quo, then you have to start putting one foot in front of the other and begin helping yourself). Other people can give you a helping hand (advice, support or even medicine if need be) but nothing will fundamentally change until you take a more personally proactive approach in tackling your anxiety issues (and well done! Facing up to the fact that you have a problem is the first step towards that).

Remember that without adversities, there can also be no strength (and you are a stronger person than you give yourself credit for). Start giving yourself a little credit, focusing on workable goals and taking note of your improvements/achievements !

ReputationRep:
    This can be a common thought amongst 18-year-olds. If you're feeling anxious, I'd recommend going to your GP primarily, perhaps they can help you by prescribing some anti-anxiety medication? Unfortunately, the only way to get over anxiety is to try and include yourself. Try doing things little by little to amass more confidence. When ordering food, order over the phone rather than online. Go to your local shop and go to a staffed till rather than a self-service one. Sometimes the feelings of anxiety worsen because you don't interact with others, so it's important to feel slightly uncomfortable and develop yourself more. (Easier said than done, I know).
    Hopefully, once you've done that, your confidence will develop a bit and you'll feel better in interviews, jobs and find out what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much, I hope you are ok and I'll take this advice on board
    Some days I am, some days I’m not. But I keep trying which is better than what I used to be!!! Some days like today where it’s raining and miserable I get fed up. But then when it’s sunny, and things are going well I feel good again. So I just keep pushing on in the hope of better things!! X

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.