Turn on thread page Beta

Anxiety is slowly ruining my life. watch

It used to be small, it really did! It was something like answering the phone in my house or ordering food in a restaurant. Now it's got to a stage where I cannot have a conversation with someone other than my family without feeling like my heart is gonna pop out of chest its beating that fast. I have friends in school but when they talk to other people in my year group I genuinely feel like I am going to throw up, I get so nervous and shaky to a stage where I go as white as a ghost. It makes it worse when people say

"aw you shouldn't be anxious of how you look or act because you're pretty and chill!"

I don't believe either of those things no matter how much I hear it. My anxiety stops me from eating when out with my friends because talking to the waiter/waitress is such a big deal. It stops me from wanting to order food going round mcdonalds. I hate how I look and I get anxious about that a lot, many people have said there is no problem with me and maybe I am just paranoid but now it's a struggle for me to go to school because i'm worried someone will talk to me
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It used to be small, it really did! It was something like answering the phone in my house or ordering food in a restaurant. Now it's got to a stage where I cannot have a conversation with someone other than my family without feeling like my heart is gonna pop out of chest its beating that fast. I have friends in school but when they talk to other people in my year group I genuinely feel like I am going to throw up, I get so nervous and shaky to a stage where I go as white as a ghost. It makes it worse when people say

"aw you shouldn't be anxious of how you look or act because you're pretty and chill!"

I don't believe either of those things no matter how much I hear it. My anxiety stops me from eating when out with my friends because talking to the waiter/waitress is such a big deal. It stops me from wanting to order food going round mcdonalds. I hate how I look and I get anxious about that a lot, many people have said there is no problem with me and maybe I am just paranoid but now it's a struggle for me to go to school because i'm worried someone will talk to me
    Hi. Sorry for the short and blunt reply, I don't have much time to write this.

Get some help. GP and school are a good call. They can set you up with counselling/ therapy.
    There is no shame in getting help and it means you can work through things with somebody who understands. Mental health problems are essentially normal emotional stuff with no proper reason. (Anxiety is normal before bunjie jumping, but the same anxiety before walking out your house is not). So you having no reason doesn't invalidate your feelings at all.

Hope that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    there are plenty of effective treatments for anxiety which won't cost you a penny

ReputationRep:
    this is social anxiety and is a huge problem for some people

can you remember when you didn't have it ?

when did you feel better ?

basic things like lysine, taurine, b6, and infrared lamps to mimic sunlight can help

ReputationRep:
    Anxiety literally took my life from me. I couldn't even walk into a workplace without being really high on Valium, then I'd just hide out in the toilets all day anyway.
    It seems like it fades with time... I've suffered for almost a decade, I think now it's passing. It's possible that going out, altering my mind with substances, and socializing with a tonne of people, and indulging in risky behavior, has altered me gradually over time into a new self image that I feel more confident in.

It's not good to do risky things though.

Mushrooms have also been shown in numerous studies to permanently reduce anxiety.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.