Turn on thread page Beta

So me and my boyfriend have been together for a year now (both 21).
    Our relationship is great, I couldn’t be happier with him.
    Last year we went away to the Algarve and I’m naturally a redhead - aka: in a hot country I will just go red/burn/or nothing in my skin colour will change.
    My boyfriend is naturally dark haired and tanned (he’s not mixed race, he just has the natural complex to tan easily).

Going on holiday I felt beyond self conscious standing next to him, I was so pale and in all the photos there was such a noticeable difference I just thought I looked ugly in comparison. I didn’t try and self tan there because it’s a hassle and I hate the sticky feeling along with the smell you get from fake tan.

Recently a load of photos got produced that we sent away for and I’m horrified at the way I look. In comparison it just doesn’t look like we go together and I’d hate for him to see the disgust I see in myself.

I feel like I’m one of very few naturally very very fair skinned people that doesn’t bother to self tan and now I feel like it’s going against me because all I see now is me standing out like a sore thumb
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

I think you need to start feeling more secure about yourself and love yourself for who you are. I only know what you posted on your post but being in a relationship for a whole year doesn't happen very often, nowadays relationships (especially being in your early 20s) last like a couple of months. A guy who can stick around long is not just sticking there just because, he's there for a reason and that reason is that he likes being with you and spending time with you. Learn to be more comfortable in your skin and embrace yourself. The more you love yourself, the more he'll love you.

ReputationRep:
    You should talk to him about it. If something is bothering you, your boyfriend should be the one you go to first. You guys should be able to trust each other to tell the truth, even if its something you are self-conscious about. And being pale or going red is not ugly, im sure if you asked your boyfriend he'll tell you the same thing. You need to be able to look at yourself and not be judgemental, but rather how your boyfriend looks at you. cos he wouldn't be your boyfriend if he wasn't attracted to you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You won't look as bad as you think you do. Try talking to your boyfriend about how you feel.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2018
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.