Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Edit: dilemma* whoops!

Hello there!

Long story short, I am going to most likely reapply for medical school in the UK. Various situations might make it difficult for me to attend this year, and I am not certain if I will even receive the offer from the only medical school I am waiting for.

Anyway, here's my issue. I will graduate this summer, and know my results way before A-level students (a month or so). Now, I have the chance to take the BMAT this September. However, I have found this amazing summer school I would like to attend (and it does not come from the companies which just rent a place at uni to lure students in - it's from the university itself and designed for gap year students specifically). Taking the October BMAT is not an option due to family reasons.

This course would take 2 weeks off of my summer, and a family summer trip would take off additional 7-8. As such, I would roughly have 5 weeks of summer to prepare for the BMAT. Since I am aiming for 7s (I got 4.9 6.2 for S1 and S2 respectively this year with 4 weeks of revising alongside school), I am not sure whether that would be enough time to prepare? Or too much? I know it may sound silly, but I am definitely uncertain about how to see it all.

Would it be wiser to not go, and spend two more weeks on BMAT instead? I will have all the time in the world (except for the volunteering, but that would still give me 35+ hours a week to just do BMAT), but I'm afraid of S1 going badly again. I will be studying for UKCAT this June after my exams, and preferably take it before my exams are released in mid-July. I could technically start the revision for BMAT around the same time then.

tl;dr Do I go to a summer course which will help my application and give more insight & knowledge on university life/ medicinal sciences, or do I stay home and use two extra weeks to prepare for BMAT?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MagicalMedic)
    Edit: dilemma* whoops!

Hello there!

Long story short, I am going to most likely reapply for medical school in the UK. Various situations might make it difficult for me to attend this year, and I am not certain if I will even receive the offer from the only medical school I am waiting for.

Anyway, here's my issue. I will graduate this summer, and know my results way before A-level students (a month or so). Now, I have the chance to take the BMAT this September. However, I have found this amazing summer school I would like to attend (and it does not come from the companies which just rent a place at uni to lure students in - it's from the university itself and designed for gap year students specifically). Taking the October BMAT is not an option due to family reasons.

This course would take 2 weeks off of my summer, and a family summer trip would take off additional 7-8. As such, I would roughly have 5 weeks of summer to prepare for the BMAT. Since I am aiming for 7s (I got 4.9 6.2 for S1 and S2 respectively this year with 4 weeks of revising alongside school), I am not sure whether that would be enough time to prepare? Or too much? I know it may sound silly, but I am definitely uncertain about how to see it all.

Would it be wiser to not go, and spend two more weeks on BMAT instead? I will have all the time in the world (except for the volunteering, but that would still give me 35+ hours a week to just do BMAT), but I'm afraid of S1 going badly again. I will be studying for UKCAT this June after my exams, and preferably take it before my exams are released in mid-July. I could technically start the revision for BMAT around the same time then.

tl;dr Do I go to a summer course which will help my application and give more insight & knowledge on university life/ medicinal sciences, or do I stay home and use two extra weeks to prepare for BMAT?
    It is a bit of a dilemma! Have you got enough work experience? Can you apply to just UKCAT unis and skip the BMAT?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I would go on the course, resit the BMAT, and I'd it doesn't go well just apply to UKCAT unis. The BMAT does not lend itself well to extensive preparation and I think 4 weeks of dedicated revision is probably sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    It is a bit of a dilemma! Have you got enough work experience? Can you apply to just UKCAT unis and skip the BMAT?
    Hi there!

I have a lot of work experience both in hospitals and various social programs :yep: It has not been an issue when applying this year (none of the universities mentioned that in the feedback). Collectively I have a roughly 5-6 months of work experience, and I've been reflecting about all of it. Doing loads more would really just mean going for the length rather than quality (sadly, due to how my year will look like, I cannot sign the 12-month contracts for some of volunteering placements I have found in my country that are of interest and that I think would be valuable). The placement I have found (4 months long) is actually at an HIV centre and I really do look forward to it!

The thing is, last year my BMAT was much, much better. I got barely above 650 in my UKCAT after 2 weeks of revising (despite getting well in the 700s in mocks). Additionally, the universities that spark my interest are BMAT (Leeds, Imperial/UCL), and I think I can strengthen my application by actually taking the BMAT. If I had only taken the UKCAT then I would have had almost no chance due to the competitive nature of medicine.

(Original post by nexttime)
    I would go on the course, resit the BMAT, and I'd it doesn't go well just apply to UKCAT unis. The BMAT does not lend itself well to extensive preparation and I think 4 weeks of dedicated revision is probably sufficient.
    This is exactly what I'm afraid of - overpreparation. I tend to be obsessive sometimes with studying and can spend 6-7 hours a day just doing something in this nature. At the same time, I feel like it would perhaps cause less anxiety? I have a month before the summer course, and I think I'd definitely organise all the notes and buy any necessary revision books at the same time.
    I think what caused my S1 to really go downhill was the adrenaline kick at the beginning of the test, however I calmed down before S2 which is why I performed considerably better there.

Generally, I think I just don't want to regret going... or not going. I know that's very indecisive of me, but I think you're right. Taking the chance is a good idea in this case :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Since you've already sat the BMAT you won't need as much preparation second time around. 4 weeks is plenty and many don't even do 4 weeks when they sit it for the first time (I definitely didn't!).

Can I ask if there is any way you are going to get into medical school this year (in which case none of this will matter)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrandMedic)
    Since you've already sat the BMAT you won't need as much preparation second time around. 4 weeks is plenty and many don't even do 4 weeks when they sit it for the first time (I definitely didn't!).

Can I ask if there is any way you are going to get into medical school this year (in which case none of this will matter)?
    Definitely possible, but almost 100% sure I’m not going to be able to attend. Hence the reapplying.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely possible, but almost 100% sure I’m not going to be able to attend. Hence the reapplying.
    If you get an offer, but then life circumstances prevent you from attending, you would be well-placed to request that the uni considers you for deferred entry due to extenuating circumstances.

Many unis will accept last-minute deferrals for Medicine anyway, others usually wouldn't but might if your circumstances are special...

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough I guess. I agree with the above ^. A deferred entry will save you the stress of reapplying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Gin)
    If you get an offer, but then life circumstances prevent you from attending, you would be well-placed to request that the uni considers you for deferred entry due to extenuating circumstances.

Many unis will accept last-minute deferrals for Medicine anyway, others usually wouldn't but might if your circumstances are special...
    I will try that, however the circumstances would be somewhat linked to the university itself, thus making it a bit harder to explain. If I do get an offer, I will try and ask about it though. Thank you for the idea!
    (Original post by GrandMedic)
    Fair enough I guess. I agree with the above ^. A deferred entry will save you the stress of reapplying.
    I'm sure it would! There isn't a single bone in my body that would like to go through it all again, but if the situation makes it a better option to leave any offers behind and start again then I'll suck it up.

Thank you for the answers!

ReputationRep:
    I will try that, however the circumstances would be somewhat linked to the university itself, thus making it a bit harder to explain. If I do get an offer, I will try and ask about it though. Thank you for the idea!

I'm sure it would! There isn't a single bone in my body that would like to go through it all again, but if the situation makes it a better option to leave any offers behind and start again then I'll suck it up.

Thank you for the answers!
    It's hard to give amazing advice without knowing the specific situation and so we can only come out with generic answers. Talk to people you're close with or even the university.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.