Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I am doing a BTEC IT course and aiming for D* and was just curious to know that after I have finished by extended diploma and lets say I get a grade of triple distinction*. Will I be able to apply for a uni scholarship in sense of just getting free education or something coz I cant be asked to pay 9k for 3 years.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    You can get some money scholarships based upon grades and house income but it'd be very rare to find one that pays for your entire degree.

ReputationRep:
    As said you can often get some money for getting grades (I think in the region of a few grand for what you've said), but I've not seen one that pays for your whole degree

ReputationRep:
    Depending on the uni you could get some form of scholarship but its generally never more than £3000, its never a full fee waiver.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you're not very knowledgeable in the fees department, where you can just apply for a student loan and you're not really paying it back until you earn over a certain threshold. Even then it's not based on how much you racked up over the 3 years, but on whatever interest rate is applied which i think might be 9%.
    Take for example you earn 25k a year after you graduate, and the threshold is 21k, it will take 9% from 4k which is the difference of your income and the threshold - not 9% of what might be your maintenance loan and tuition fees and you don't have to pay it all up front. Just dispensing with the myths you might have had.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scorpius14)
    Sounds like you're not very knowledgeable in the fees department, where you can just apply for a student loan and you're not really paying it back until you earn over a certain threshold. Even then it's not based on how much you racked up over the 3 years, but on whatever interest rate is applied which i think might be 9%.
    Take for example you earn 25k a year after you graduate, and the threshold is 21k, it will take 9% from 4k which is the difference of your income and the threshold - not 9% of what might be your maintenance loan and tuition fees and you don't have to pay it all up front. Just dispensing with the myths you might have had.
    They've now upped the threshold to a minimum of £25k

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.