Turn on thread page Beta

Dodgy unconditional offer watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    so basically i got an offer from hertfordshire for sports science. an unconditiional offer. but theres a condition for some stupid reason. i should choose them as firm choice. the thing is my other conditional offers are from leeds,brunel, east london,salford. if i want to go to one of those and i put hertfordshire as insurance will they take the uncondtional offer off me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubz4635!)
    so basically i got an offer from hertfordshire for sports science. an unconditiional offer. but theres a condition for some stupid reason. i should choose them as firm choice. the thing is my other conditional offers are from leeds,brunel, east london,salford. if i want to go to one of those and i put hertfordshire as insurance will they take the uncondtional offer off me
    What's the condition for Hertfordshire?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    What's the condition for Hertfordshire?
    the condtion is that i have to put them as my firm university
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    How is that dodgy?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    many uni's do that....

ReputationRep:
    What do you expect? They aren't going to commit to you if you won't commit to them.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Simply firm the university/course you most want to go to, ignoring any conditions.

What are Herts' conditions if you don't firm them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    How is that dodgy?
    i mean its dodgy for me. should i risk trying to achieve the grades for my conditional offers, which are better unis btw, or should i take the easy route and place hertfordshire as my firm. by the way im in ireland so i do 6 subjects instead of like 3 or 4 in the uk
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    i mean its dodgy for me. should i risk trying to achieve the grades for my conditional offers, which are better unis btw, or should i take the easy route and place hertfordshire as my firm. by the way im in ireland so i do 6 subjects instead of like 3 or 4 in the uk
    Even if you put Hertfordshire as your firm but you get the grades for your insurance you can go through adjustment.

ReputationRep:
    Even if you put Hertfordshire as your firm but you get the grades for your insurance you can go through adjustment.
    Unfortunately not. Once Herts goes unconditional there are no conditions to exceed in order to be eligible for adjustment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Unfortunately not. Once Herts goes unconditional there are no conditions to exceed in order to be eligible for adjustment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah okay.

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay.
    sneaky move from hertfordshire. i think ill just aim for grades for the place i want to go to

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't take the unconditional. Unis often say unconditional if firm because they expect you to reject them for better course, and they're trying to persuade you to accept them. If you're likely to get the grades for any of your preferred unis then don't firm this uni just for the security.

Remember you can still put this uni as your insurance - I assume their standard offer is something you're confident of meeting.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    sneaky move from hertfordshire. i think ill just aim for grades for the place i want to go to
    Might as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sindyscape62)
    I wouldn't take the unconditional. Unis often say unconditional if firm because they expect you to reject them for better course, and they're trying to persuade you to accept them. If you're likely to get the grades for any of your preferred unis then don't firm this uni just for the security.

Remember you can still put this uni as your insurance - I assume their standard offer is something you're confident of meeting.
    haha i knew something was fishy about their tactics. im confident enough so ill just study for the grades. cheers for the advice

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.