Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm an A-level student who applied for Mental Health Nursing. I do love the idea of helping others, especially in the mental health area which is why I applied for this course. However, I have only recently heard of really bad experiences regarding this course that have honestly put me off it. I'm also unaware of how placements work; I have heard of students being lucky to do their theory for nursing first before doing their placements, and others integrating both constantly and I don't know how that works...
    I have also realised that there is something really appealing to me about teaching in particular drama and English. I've talked to my teachers and they've all said that I seem like someone who would be a great teacher.
    I am honestly really confused at the moment. I feel so stupid for applying to mental health nursing if I was going to doubt myself like right now. I feel unbelievably stressed about the prospect of not knowing what I want to do anymore.
    I am planning to do my interview for mental health nursing and asking how placements work; if the university does placements at a separate time from theory then I think I'll do the course but if not then I might pursue a course teaching drama and English.
    Is anyone in the same scenario? I would appreciate it if you could share your experiences on nursing with regards to placement... Another thing I am worried about is that sometimes I can be emotional which although it's good to be compassionate towards others, I may react with too much sensitivity.
    Any advice?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by I_Love_Cats)
    I'm an A-level student who applied for Mental Health Nursing. I do love the idea of helping others, especially in the mental health area which is why I applied for this course. However, I have only recently heard of really bad experiences regarding this course that have honestly put me off it. I'm also unaware of how placements work; I have heard of students being lucky to do their theory for nursing first before doing their placements, and others integrating both constantly and I don't know how that works...
    I have also realised that there is something really appealing to me about teaching in particular drama and English. I've talked to my teachers and they've all said that I seem like someone who would be a great teacher.
    I am honestly really confused at the moment. I feel so stupid for applying to mental health nursing if I was going to doubt myself like right now. I feel unbelievably stressed about the prospect of not knowing what I want to do anymore.
    I am planning to do my interview for mental health nursing and asking how placements work; if the university does placements at a separate time from theory then I think I'll do the course but if not then I might pursue a course teaching drama and English.
    Is anyone in the same scenario? I would appreciate it if you could share your experiences on nursing with regards to placement... Another thing I am worried about is that sometimes I can be emotional which although it's good to be compassionate towards others, I may react with too much sensitivity.
    Any advice?

Go to the interview and see what you think.
    Contact some student nurses doing the MH course. they may have a nurses society.

If you are unsure it is definitely for you, then imo take a gap and think about it plus also get some teaching experience. Reapply next year.

The courses arent going anywhere, but dont get into a debt for a course unless you know its what you want. You can still change even if you start a course as long as you leave during or at the end of year 1.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.