The Student Room Group

Struggling with depression in my final year

Hi guys, I'm in my final year right now and I am really struggling mentally. I do not enjoy my course and I don't like going into my lectures as I don't feel like they work for me so I mostly do my work from home. This year I've been working harder than usual however when I recently got marks for my recent exams I didn't do very well even though I thought that I had. In my second year I only got 53% overall so this year I needed a high 2:1 in order to graduate with a 2:1 overall now that I know this probably won't happen I have lost all motivation.

I really just do anything to distract myself from doing university work, I just stay in bed all the time. I'm feeling so depressed and useless recently and I just feel like no one really understands. My boyfriend has a really good paying job and then there's me probably won't even pass University.
Wonder if anyone else is feeling like this?
Original post by nat124
Hi guys, I'm in my final year right now and I am really struggling mentally. I do not enjoy my course and I don't like going into my lectures as I don't feel like they work for me so I mostly do my work from home. This year I've been working harder than usual however when I recently got marks for my recent exams I didn't do very well even though I thought that I had. In my second year I only got 53% overall so this year I needed a high 2:1 in order to graduate with a 2:1 overall now that I know this probably won't happen I have lost all motivation.

I really just do anything to distract myself from doing university work, I just stay in bed all the time. I'm feeling so depressed and useless recently and I just feel like no one really understands. My boyfriend has a really good paying job and then there's me probably won't even pass University.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I can sympathise, having gone to a grand total of 10 lectures for one of my modules last year! It is difficult for people to understand but if you do have people you are close to in your personal life, it can be beneficial to open up. In addition, I've often found that the process of getting ready and going to University is useful. Even if I don't pay attention in lectures, it puts me in a productive frame of minD which makes me more likely to work at the University Library. At home, alone with my own thoughts, I will begin to contemplate /things/ for the millionth time.

Are you getting any support? Many Universities have a welfare department and various types of support services to students in need such as drop in counselling sessions. It might be worth checking something like that out.
Good luck for the rest of the year! And feel free to reply if you have more to add/ask.
Reply 2
I’m currently in exactly the same position! Final year, moved out of my Student house back home (due to mental health issues), barely attended anything this term as I now commute, and I’m literally in my room all day everyday and it’s certainly getting to me. 2 months away from finishing but that means closer to deadlines of assignments I’m not understanding and an exam I’m sure to fail😞 feel free to PM me if you want! I’ll be happy to listen and hopefully share similarities with someone!
Reply 3
hey thank you for replying. I have my boyfriend who is my best friend but sometimes I just feel like a burden to keep bothering him with my problems, also I feel like it's probably hard for him to understand since he never went through this experience and I'm quite good at putting up a front. What you said about getting ready to go to university is definitely true, however when I do go to university I almost feel out of place and just want to be back home.
I'm also super stressed and worried about what I want to do after university I have no idea what I want to do and I feel really under pressure. I haven't been to see anyone at uni because I feel ashamed and I don't want to be judged.
Thank you again for replying it makes me feel better that people go through similar things
You've literally described my situation word for word. I'm also in my final year, need a very high 2:1 to graduate with 2:1, struggling with anxiety. I find it very difficult to write essays and have spoken to numerous professors, supervisors and private tutors. I get told so many different things that it's left me so confused as to what to do.

I do a History degree and as much as I enjoy it, I don't know how to formulate a well-written essay. I've reached out to tell you that you're not alone. I've sat in my room all day trying to do essays due in next week and I physically don't know what to write. It's an awful feeling and I hope we get through this.
Reply 5
This thread has honestly given me so much hope as I genuinely thought I was alone feeling this!
Reply 6
Original post by Cremedalemer
You've literally described my situation word for word. I'm also in my final year, need a very high 2:1 to graduate with 2:1, struggling with anxiety. I find it very difficult to write essays and have spoken to numerous professors, supervisors and private tutors. I get told so many different things that it's left me so confused as to what to do.

I do a History degree and as much as I enjoy it, I don't know how to formulate a well-written essay. I've reached out to tell you that you're not alone. I've sat in my room all day trying to do essays due in next week and I physically don't know what to write. It's an awful feeling and I hope we get through this.

It really is horrible! I feel like universities really dont offer you the support you need in terms of writing essays and getting good grades, they just throw you in the deep end which is so daunting!
I feel so crap that I won't able to probably graduate with a 2:1 it makes me feel like not only have I dissapointed myself but everyone around me.
It's so nice to hear that other people understand what you're going through and sometimes just being able to relate with someone can make such a difference!
I hope it works out for you and if you want you can pm me to talk 😊
Original post by nat124

Like others on this thread, I'm going through a very similar experience right now. I've struggled with my mental health for years, but this past month has been dreadful, and I've probably spent more time in bed than out of bed. It's tough.

But please try to get help if you can. Going to the GP or a wellbeing service is daunting and it can feel selfish (it's not), but it can make a big difference. I was able to get a learning contract last year because of my mental health, meaning I am allowed to see powerpoints online a day before the lecture, and it is much easier for me to apply for an extension. This helps me so much, even if I don't always use the extensions, knowing that I can takes some of the pressure off. Speaking about your problems with the university will hopefully help you get similar support, but if not, it can sometimes be beyond valuable just to speak about your situation to someone who's removed from you, doesn't know you, and is experienced in helping with similar issues. You really do deserve the help.

I'm worried about the future too, cripplingly sometimes. I know it's easier said than done, but this worrying isn't helping us actually get somewhere, just making our grades suffer which (at least for me) adds to the future-anxiety. Try your best to focus on each day individually, going to lectures if you can, looking after yourself (even just by getting outside for 20 mins, drinking enough water, showering or eating something nutritious) and speaking to someone about how you feel. Your health is really important, and you need to put it first! Whatever happens after university, you will be fine, you will survive. You could take some time to look after yourself, working a casual job or a job that's not necessarily what you want to do forever, and then with less pressure keep looking for a job that's going to make you feel more fulfilled. You might also come across a perfect opportunity for the future in the next few months - you never know what's going to happen.

I hope this helps (and makes sense).

Keep going,

Ellie
Hi there, I'm responding to this a year too late but I am at the exact same point where you are or were..Finances are tight, Final year is ****ing me up and I have no idea what's next...oohh and I hate my degree.I dont even want to go to class most days and I also find it extremely difficult to get motivated to do things, I know I need this degree but It shouldnt have to cost me my sanity you know.I wonder if anyone can relate
I can definitely relate to this! I'm now in my last few months of uni and am feeling so unmotivated and sad. I worked super hard on my assignments before Christmas and now don't feel like I have the energy to complete my upcoming assignments. I really don't enjoy my course and just want to be at home and get a job and be around my family and friends. I've achieved a first class grade in both 1st and 2nd year and now I feel like there is so much pressure that I won't be able to achieve this and will let everyone that believed I could do it down. I already feel disappointed in myself and I've still got so much to do.

Latest