Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How likely am I to get into oxford or Cambridge ? watch

Announcements
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Mollysh240)
    Sorry I’m just stressed about it because I want to be a barrister or brain surgeon and oxford and Cambridge have been my dream unis from being younger
    Your first task is to decide *which* course. And then check the entry requirements for that course at universities that interest you.

If you are considering medicine you will need relevant work experience. You really need to decide between medicine and law asap as your A-level choices will be important (more so for medicine).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    for medicine at cambridge its all down to your bmat and interview, the other stuff is mostly irrelevant once youve passed the minimum requirements tbh. for oxford its all bmat and gcses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordringo)
    How do you expect people to tell you how you'll come across in interviews? Your attitude seems obsessive and humourless - not qualities either Oxford or Cambridge look for. Everyone who applies, just about, will have A*s and As at A-level.
    I don’t expect that mate lmao I’m just stressed out at the moment because my future is important for me? Humourless? Aha well sorry! And obsessive maybe I am but I’m just trying to find out how well I need to perform to get somewhere in the future
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Law at Cambridge this year and was interviewed (and then pooled).
    I have 7A*s and 5As at GCSE and am predicted A*A*A at A-Level having already achieved an A* in EPQ.
    None of that makes me stand out at Cambridge because everyone is smart.
    What you need, for law especially, is a personality, an ambition and a thorough understanding of why you want to study law and why you want to study law at Cambridge. It is your Personal Statement, how you perform in the CLT, and how you express yourself at interview that makes you stand out, not necessarily your grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello2906)
    for medicine at cambridge its all down to your bmat and interview, the other stuff is mostly irrelevant once youve passed the minimum requirements tbh. for oxford its all bmat and gcses.
    Thank you)
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Your first task is to decide *which* course. And then check the entry requirements for that course at universities that interest you.

If you are considering medicine you will need relevant work experience. You really need to decide between medicine and law asap as your A-level choices will be important (more so for medicine).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you I will! Yes I know aha I’m in year ten at the moment and I’m struggling to choose a career!

ReputationRep:
    I don’t expect that mate lmao I’m just stressed out at the moment because my future is important for me? Humourless? Aha well sorry! And obsessive maybe I am but I’m just trying to find out how well I need to perform to get somewhere in the future
    No, you've missed my point. Your grades are good overall, but relative to Oxbridge they are normal. You demonstrate nothing in your posts here which makes you seem particularly personable, articulate, or unique - therefore, I'd say your chances are poor. But they don't have to be, if you take some time for introspection, rather than trying to get in on grades alone - you can't do that with Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxfsxh)
    I applied for Law at Cambridge this year and was interviewed (and then pooled).
    I have 7A*s and 5As at GCSE and am predicted A*A*A at A-Level having already achieved an A* in EPQ.
    None of that makes me stand out at Cambridge because everyone is smart.
    What you need, for law especially, is a personality, an ambition and a thorough understanding of why you want to study law and why you want to study law at Cambridge. It is your Personal Statement, how you perform in the CLT, and how you express yourself at interview that makes you stand out, not necessarily your grades.
    So if I get the grades, I need a really good statement and everything? I will research how to make it good! And good luck with it ! I hope you get accepted

ReputationRep:
    Really? Surely A levels have some impact
    A levels are only really to get you an interview, which if you have the required grades will likely occur (unless you do bad in a preresquisite exam). Everyone who applies will be predicted A*A*A - A*A*A*A* so they won't really make you stand out. It's also worth noting that predicted grades tend not to mean much. Most of the AAAA students at my sixth form only got predicted A*A*A/A but another nearby sixth form predicted A*A*A*/A* for ABBB students.

ReputationRep:
    So if I get the grades, I need a really good statement and everything? I will research how to make it good! And good luck with it ! I hope you get accepted
    Yes because everyone who applies to them is smart so you need a good statement etc. to distinguish yourself from others because of the massive demand that they have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordringo)
    No, you've missed my point. Your grades are good overall, but relative to Oxbridge they are normal. You demonstrate nothing in your posts here which makes you seem particularly personable, articulate, or unique - therefore, I'd say your chances are poor. But they don't have to be, if you take some time for introspection, rather than trying to get in on grades alone - you can't do that with Oxbridge.
    That’s simply because I was wondering if my grades make me stand a chance! My post wasn’t about my personal statement or interview, for that I know what to work on, my nerves and confidence in situations like that but thank you I get what you mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Yes because everyone who applies to them is smart so you need a good statement etc. to distinguish yourself from others because of the massive demand that they have.
    Thank you! What is a good way to distinguish myself ?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thank you I will! Yes I know aha I’m in year ten at the moment and I’m struggling to choose a career!
    Plenty of time. Enjoy the GCSE years

There's many people at university who haven't decided on a career, nevermind at GCSE stage. There's no rush. Study things you enjoy and will do well at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CompSci in2k17)
    A levels are only really to get you an interview, which if you have the required grades will likely occur (unless you do bad in a preresquisite exam). Everyone who applies will be predicted A*A*A - A*A*A*A* so they won't really make you stand out. It's also worth noting that predicted grades tend not to mean much. Most of the AAAA students at my sixth form only got predicted A*A*A/A but another nearby sixth form predicted A*A*A*/A* for ABBB students.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Plenty of time. Enjoy the GCSE years

There's many people at university who haven't decided on a career, nevermind at GCSE stage. There's no rush. Study things you enjoy and will do well at.
    I think I will enjoy law, I love debating !!

ReputationRep:

Get relevant experience in that area.
    Do extra research into the course and later careers, attending talks if available is also a great addition.
    Do extra curricula that helps you improve and she said improvement in relevant important skills.

Very early to do this but you will need to practice for interviews as that is a major part of their applications.

ReputationRep:
    Get relevant experience in that area.
    Do extra research into the course and later careers, attending talks if available is also a great addition.
    Do extra curricula that helps you improve and she said improvement in relevant important skills.

Very early to do this but you will need to practice for interviews as that is a major part of their applications.
    Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    Year 10 is not the time to be stressing this hard about this stuff. I don't know how it is for subjects where prior experience is more important, but I got an offer for maths this year; only my predicted A levels had any impact on it tbh. Personal statement was pretty crap, and forget about GCSEs having any impact.Just watch you don't waste all your free time at that age working on stuff so far away; the try hards that I've met at oxbridge are the worst people I've ever met, so much wasted time just so they can fight to be the biggest nerd they know.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah basically, but dont rely on your grades too much.
    I was rejected after being pooled on a contention basis.
    It is difficult so you need to stand out and how you do that is completely up to you.
    FYI, cambridge dont give a crap about DofE or extra curriculars unless theyre to do with the course

ReputationRep:
    So your GCSE's are great, but Oxford and Cambridge don't really want to hear about your extra curriculars or hobbies. They are more interested in your passion for the subject that you want to study, like you have to have a real drive to want to learn more about your subject. Whatever subject you wanna study it would be good to be doing further reading about it and being up to date with relative current affairs related to your subject. I don't know how much you've looked into Oxford and Cambridge, but from my experience when I was in school I hadn't looked into their courses, and they're not like the majority of other universities which do lots of different subject areas. I would recommend looking at the league tables for your specified subject because despite Oxford and Cambridge's well known reputation they may not be the best uni for your chosen subject or they may not even offer it at all.

ALSO I didn't know this until I came to apply but you can only apply to one of them either Oxford or Cambridge not both, so just thought I'd let you know even if you already knew : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adsuudixfra)
    Year 10 is not the time to be stressing this hard about this stuff. I don't know how it is for subjects where prior experience is more important, but I got an offer for maths this year; only my predicted A levels had any impact on it tbh. Personal statement was pretty crap, and forget about GCSEs having any impact.Just watch you don't waste all your free time at that age working on stuff so far away; the try hards that I've met at oxbridge are the worst people I've ever met, so much wasted time just so they can fight to be the biggest nerd they know.
    Thank you

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.