Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxfsxh)
    Yeah basically, but dont rely on your grades too much.
    I was rejected after being pooled on a contention basis.
    It is difficult so you need to stand out and how you do that is completely up to you.
    FYI, cambridge dont give a crap about DofE or extra curriculars unless theyre to do with the course
    Okay! Thank you
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloudc)
    So your GCSE's are great, but Oxford and Cambridge don't really want to hear about your extra curriculars or hobbies. They are more interested in your passion for the subject that you want to study, like you have to have a real drive to want to learn more about your subject. Whatever subject you wanna study it would be good to be doing further reading about it and being up to date with relative current affairs related to your subject. I don't know how much you've looked into Oxford and Cambridge, but from my experience when I was in school I hadn't looked into their courses, and they're not like the majority of other universities which do lots of different subject areas. I would recommend looking at the league tables for your specified subject because despite Oxford and Cambridge's well known reputation they may not be the best uni for your chosen subject or they may not even offer it at all.

ALSO I didn't know this until I came to apply but you can only apply to one of them either Oxford or Cambridge not both, so just thought I'd let you know even if you already knew : )
    Thank you so much I appreciate it very much! Oh my god I know it’s so annoying!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mollysh240)
    So if I did get my target grades, that I also get in mocks, and then did a levels in say, history, French, biology and English lit/Lang (maybe for medicine) or law, French, history and English language (for law) and got A A*A* and either an A or another A* and had some work experience and volunteering and stuff like that and had a good PS and interview and application do you think I stand a good chance?
    I do Biology, French, History and English Lit at AS twinning! Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying medicine? because you really need Biology, Chemistry and ideally Maths to be in with a shot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CresentHan)
    I do Biology, French, History and English Lit at AS twinning! Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying medicine? because you really need Biology, Chemistry and ideally Maths to be in with a shot!
    Ahah yeah sorry I wasn’t thinking when I wrote it! Yep I want to do biology chemistry English language or lit and maths for medicine
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    So if I did get my target grades, that I also get in mocks, and then did a levels in say, history, French, biology and English lit/Lang (maybe for medicine) or law, French, history and English language (for law) and got A A*A* and either an A or another A* and had some work experience and volunteering and stuff like that and had a good PS and interview and application do you think I stand a good chance?
    For Medicine you need Chemistry. And Biology is often required too. Cambridge really expects a 3rd science which can include Maths.

For Law there's no set subjects but an essay subject would be useful.

3 excellent A-level grades (A*A*A) are much better than 4+ not so excellent A-level grades.

But this is all in the future. Focus on those GCSEs for now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Everyone applying for oxbridge and/or law/medicine is going to be applying with at least the minimum expected grades required for entry. You need an epic ucas application and a brilliant interview, demonstrating your passion for the subject, to stand out from all the other outstanding applicants. You're only going to be able to demonstrate your passion once you've actually decided what subject you want to do, and accrued some work experience/volunteering in that area. So don't do any voluntary brain surgery if you're going to plump for law. Unless you fancy medical law, or criminal negligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    For Medicine you need Chemistry. And Biology is often required too. Cambridge really expects a 3rd science which can include Maths.

For Law there's no set subjects but an essay subject would be useful.

3 excellent A-level grades (A*A*A) are much better than 4+ not so excellent A-level grades.

But this is all in the future. Focus on those GCSEs for now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!! This really helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mimsyborogrove)
    Everyone applying for oxbridge and/or law/medicine is going to be applying with at least the minimum expected grades required for entry. You need an epic ucas application and a brilliant interview, demonstrating your passion for the subject, to stand out from all the other outstanding applicants. You're only going to be able to demonstrate your passion once you've actually decided what subject you want to do, and accrued some work experience/volunteering in that area. So don't do any voluntary brain surgery if you're going to plump for law. Unless you fancy medical law, or criminal negligence.
    Thank you! Ahah yep I’ll avoid that
    (Original post by mimsyborogrove)
    Ahah yep I’ll try to avoid that! Thanks )
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think I will enjoy law, I love debating !!
    Then you should probably be more into law than medicine!

As stated by Doonesbury, your first task is to decide which subjects to take to A-level. It will be very hard to take subjects that cover both. I would be more governed by the subjects you enjoy, than thinking too hard about career prospects so early. Its too early to decide on careers for now - you've lots of growing up to do :p:

(Original post by hello2906)
    for medicine at cambridge its all down to your bmat and interview, the other stuff is mostly irrelevant once youve passed the minimum requirements tbh. for oxford its all bmat and gcses.
    Oxford interviews more extensively than Cambridge. A slightly lower number (about 2.6 per offer vs 3.2 for Cambridge) but they do 4-5 interviews per candidate versus 2 for Cambridge. Its more BMAT and interview with an A*A*A offer for Cambridge, GCSEs BMAT and interview for Oxford with a much higher applicant to offer ratio and A*AA offers.

ReputationRep:
    Why doesn’t dofe show anything? I was hoping to either do criminology and international law or do a degree in medicine and a language
    Oxford and Cambridge are entirely academic based and don't give much weight to extra curriculars. I had Gold DofE and didn't even put it on my PS, not to mention seven years of volunteering, various instruments/sports, and two part time jobs - it was entirely academic based as they're much more interested in that. For Oxbridge as well you need good GCSEs but they don't need to be perfect, they will be more interested in AS grades, references, PS and predicted grades, and then how the interview goes if you're successful enough to get one.

ReputationRep:
    It’s funny during my GCSE and A level days that i thought only oxbridge would deem worthy of teaching me. I always wanted to do Medicine, and after applying to universities i was essentially happy to get accepted anywhere. I am a third year medical student at Keele, and won two national anatomy competitions ( beating all the oxbridge students). Ofcourse not that i wanted to sound vain and have a high ego of myself, i justed wanted to say that: being accepted at other institutions doesn’t make you any inferior then those at Cambridge and Oxford. My sister is a final year Medic at Cambridge, and she prefers the teaching here. I just want to remove this stigma. I do however, hope you all get accepted to the institution you most desire!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joking111)
    It’s funny during my GCSE and A level days that i thought only oxbridge would deem worthy of teaching me. I always wanted to do Medicine, and after applying to universities i was essentially happy to get accepted anywhere. I am a third year medical student at Keele, and won two national anatomy competitions ( beating all the oxbridge students). Ofcourse not that i wanted to sound vain and have a high ego of myself, i justed wanted to say that: being accepted at other institutions doesn’t make you any inferior then those at Cambridge and Oxford. My sister is a final year Medic at Cambridge, and she prefers the teaching here. I just want to remove this stigma. I do however, hope you all get accepted to the institution you most desire!
    I was the exact same, and unfortunately got quite snobby about it. I interviewed and got pooled for Cambridge but no offer, then went on to fail my A-levels due to other issues but it was humbling. I'm in a gap year resitting my A-levels as an independent student and my top choice is Bristol. I've realised that there is so much more to a uni than league tables, but it's different for everyone and I hope you're happy wherever you end up

ReputationRep:
    No sorry, you need like 100 9s and blood type A- to be admitted into Oxbridge. Try harder

ReputationRep:
    If it were solely based off of GCSE grades then yes you would probably get in. However, Oxbridge look for distinguishmen in their candidates, it isn't enough to simply be clever.

ReputationRep:
    everyone saying you only need to get good grades to get to interview at oxford and then grades no longer matter is wrong - i asked my law tutors about it (i did law at oxford) out of curiosity after i graduated and they said they still look at the whole application holistically even after interview. so if you have great grades and a mediocre interview you might get away with it, while if you have just okay grades you need a really good interview. it's not just down to one thing. if you do end up doing law, the LNAT apparently doesn't factor into their decisions much at all (at least the multiple choice doesn't, but they do give some weight to the essay) because there's no correlation at all between performance on the multiple choice and how you actually do in a law degree.

also probably wouldn't bother doing a law A-level, law tutors don't have much respect for it, they just want you to have done some essay based subjects (though there was a guy in my year who actually got into oxford for law doing only science subjects at AS!)

it is true that they don't really care at all about extracurriculars unless they're directly relevant to the subject you're going for. it's good to show that you're well-rounded but beyond that it doesn't really matter. the most important thing besides good grades is just coming across in an interview as a person they actually want to teach for the next several years.

that aside though honestly do chill out a bit and don't obsess over oxbridge because it's not all it's cracked up to be and over half the people i know who went there hated it and wish they hadn't gone. there's plenty of other good unis where you may enjoy yourself a lot more. also consider what city you want to live in, what unis are best for your course, etc. good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I just want you to be cautious about saying that you will DEFINITELY get a 9 in English Language - the marking is highly subjective and not to scare you but what your teacher considers to be a 9 could vary massively from what another examiner might think. On the contrary, your teacher could be harsher, I don't know. But don't tempt providence by saying you will definitely get 8/9 grades because the truth is many examiners don't even know what they are looking for in a 9, or how to distinguish it from an 8.
    Obviously to be achieving those grades you must be an intelligent individual so on that basis, yes, you stand a good chance, but applying to Oxbridge grades (especially GCSE grades) are only a part of the picture, as I am sure you know well. What I am told matters most is that you fit their style of learning (i.e. the tutorial system) and that you show a passion for the subject you want to study, so that you will be able to cope with their demands and even enjoy learning there.
    You are like me in that you seem to be in two minds with regards to what you want to study - I love languages and I love science, so I'm undecided as to whether I am going to pursue medicine or maybe go for languages at Oxford (I'm in year 11, so I should probably get to deciding that fairly soon lol). By the way, medicine with a language is offered at neither Oxford nor Cambridge, but it is a possibility at Manchester I believe. Even though it is a bit hypocritical of me to say it, I think you should try to figure out which route you want to go down, law or medicine, because it really will alter your career path and unfortunately with A-levels you can't keep your options open without causing detriment to both sides. Just overall, don't overwork yourself, make sure you don't study a subject you love to a point where it becomes a chore, and literally just do the best you can because at the end of the day everyone has limits but you should try to get to the best point you can be given the natural skills you have.
    Hope this answered your question a bit lol ya girl loves a ramble
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by LucyLu223)
    it isn't enough to simply be clever.
    Yes it is. The most important thing is academic ability.

"Admissions decisions at the University are based solely on academic criteria – your ability and your potential."
    https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....we-looking-for

ReputationRep:
    So if I get the grades, I need a really good statement and everything? I will research how to make it good! And good luck with it ! I hope you get accepted
    A quick thing about personal statements from my opinion and experience. It's great researching how to write a good statement, such that you know what's relevant and what isn't, but I wouldn't go too overboard with this.

I remember I'd found an amazing personal statement online, and I wanted to emulate it because it was so good. I got it checked by my mentor and he just handed it back to me and told me to meet him the next day to rewrite it. It wasn't me. Your statement will always be worse if it's based off of 'research.' Of course, you seem smart and I don't doubt you understand the point of knowing how and what to write. However, I urge you and anyone else not to fall into my trap of forgetting that the statement was supposed to be mine.

Give your statement to your teachers or your friends (when the time comes ofc) and let them read it. I think the best statement should feel as if you're right next to them talking to them. It should 100% sound like you.

Also with the interviews, many may disagree with me on this, but making a small (but relevant to your course) joke isn't going to hurt if you're that sort of person. The tutors are of course looking for your passion and aptitude in your subject, but if you're a generally relaxed and funny person let them know that.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    For oxbridge the personal statement isn't the most important bit because they interview which gives you a much better idea of how a candidate is rather than a personal statement. Not to say the ps doesn't matter and you should obvs make it as good as possible. Personally I just focused about 90% of mine just talking about my subject and I actually got asked some questions based on the physics I wrote about in my personal statement. For a-level just do subjects you love and are good at and then apply for a subject you'd love to study. If you do that and are an able student, oxbridge is still a worthwhile and potentially achievable goal but even if you are rejected then you'll likely be happy elsewhere since you'll still get to study the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I can't seem to post links but there is a section on here all about studying medicine at uni, which will probably answer your questions and more. Look under Applying to uni - Guides and Tools - Studying medicine at uni.

It might be worth your while having a look around that particular section for any information/advice on doing a law degree, too.

Good luck with your studies!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.