Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Foundation Year Retake watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    Due to some personal circumstances and temporary difficult situation, I might have to retake the foundation year all together. It is my first time at a university and I have never studied before. Would I still be eligible for a tuition fee and a maintenance loan in case I reapply and start all over again in September this year??

The course is 5 years long, including the foundation year.
    Also, I have previously applied as a migrant worker and I have continued to work since the beginning of my course last year, but my circumstances are changing now (I have been here over 5 years now) and I think I would be eligible for regular funding. Am I right?

Could I possibly reapply, restart the course and receive the funding (both tuition and maintenance loan), applying on the same basis as the UK students?

Kind Regards,
    Pi
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by cyberhood)
    Hi there,
    Due to some personal circumstances and temporary difficult situation, I might have to retake the foundation year all together. It is my first time at a university and I have never studied before. Would I still be eligible for a tuition fee and a maintenance loan in case I reapply and start all over again in September this year??

The course is 5 years long, including the foundation year.
    Also, I have previously applied as a migrant worker and I have continued to work since the beginning of my course last year, but my circumstances are changing now (I have been here over 5 years now) and I think I would be eligible for regular funding. Am I right?

Could I possibly reapply, restart the course and receive the funding (both tuition and maintenance loan), applying on the same basis as the UK students?

Kind Regards,
    Pi
    Hi Pi,

When calculating your finance, we take the length of the course, plus an additional year, minus any previous study. This means that if you have never studied before and have to repeat the year, you can still receive full funding.

You are correct, however you would have to be classed as a new student again. This would mean you would need to withdraw from your course and restart in 2018/19. We would then ask for evidence that you have been resident in the UK for the 5 years before the first day of the first academic year (which would now be 2018/19), if you're able to provide this then you would be eligible for funding as a home student.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.