Turn on thread page Beta

OCR AS-level Computer Science H046 - 04 and 08 Jun 2018 [Exam Discussion] watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    OCR AS-Level Computer Science Exam Discussion 2018

Hello Guys! This is the 2018 exam thread for OCR AS-Level Computer Science (The thread for the full A-Level can be found here)

Exam Dates:

Paper 1 - Computing Principles
    4th June 2018 (AM) [1h15]

Paper 2 - Algorithms and Problem Solving
    8th June 2018 (AM) [1h15]

This AS-Level is fairly new and so there are very minimal resources for revision. However here are a few pages you may all find beneficial, including the old specification papers which although outdated, are still very useful for revision purposes.

Resources:

Specification

Paper 1 Sample Question Paper

Paper 2 Sample Question Paper

Old Specification Past Papers

Craig 'n' Dave Revision Videos (Of course some of these are A-Level only but a lot of them cover the AS specification)

Official OCR Textbook (Sadly you have to buy it but it's great!)

Tips - or at least my attempt at tips :

Familiarise yourself with all the content before practising papers so you're prepared for them.

Practice writing code, it will save you so much thinking time in the paper 2 exam.

If you haven't already done them, save the specimen papers to complete last as they are going to most resemble the actual papers.

Good Luck Everyone!

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking this course and I find it pretty annoying.

I think this subject is really flawed in many areas, especially when viewed as a science. The algorithms and programming bit is for the most part fine and answers to any question have a logical basis. However I think every resource that exists for this subject is very sub-standard and the knowledge expected of the candidates is not made clear by the exam board.

I've seen the same concepts outlined in many different ways, and it's not actually clear what the exam board approved definitions for a lot of things are in the spec, this wouldn't be a problem if either of the textbooks were any good at all. One is complete garbage that misses out entire portions of content, the other one is better but holds a good amount of irrelevant information, clearly misses a lot of relevant information and structures everything like a novel.

The very limited amount of practice material out there doesn't seem similar to actual exam questions at all and answers aren't even included in the (slightly better) textbook, they're hidden away in a PDF only my teacher has. Pointless.

The bit of this course about software development methodologies is about as far from scientific or objective as you can get, and is essentially just learning a drivel of antiquated *******s that some people made up in the 90s. Not relevant to most situations at all.

Rant over anyways, I still reckon I can swing an A in this because a lot of it is not that hard but how this subject doesn't raise red flags for ofqual is beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mate 👌🏻
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone. Can you suggest me from which source should I study my Computer Science P3 for exam including what extra topic should I cover ?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey, my name is Clive and I've come up with a very smart way of tackling every topic in the spec to get a high grade in the exam. I started using a modified version of Cornell Notes, due to the fact that when it came to mock time I thought my previous note taking skills and learning skills were good enough to pass. I kept dropping marks on things that I thought I knew in revision, which obviously wasn't true since I got them wrong. I agree with what you say

ReputationRep:
    You know, there is the past paper for June 2017 and June 2016 that has been sit for AS level on the OCR website:

ReputationRep:
    Bit late but ZigZag papers were alright... Few mark scheme errors though

ReputationRep:
    Great paper until that Virtual Machines question came up...

ReputationRep:
    Ladies and gentleman how was it?

ReputationRep:
    That was actually not bad! Easier than I expected! What did you guys get for the Karnaugh map simplification? I got something like NOT C OR B, was that correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HydraFly)
    Great paper until that Virtual Machines question came up...
    All you have to say was that the programmer could use the VM for testing the game out without having to buy the actual hardware, which is expensive, and the game might have been in development for an unreleased console, and so a VM would make sense. However, VMs are resource intensive, and so programming and testing simultaneously would be too much effort on the computers part!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FizziPop17)
    All you have to say was that the programmer could use the VM for testing the game out without having to buy the actual hardware, which is expensive, and the game might have been in development for an unreleased console, and so a VM would make sense. However, VMs are resource intensive, and so programming and testing simultaneously would be too much effort on the computers part!
    I spent more time talking about how the game can be designed for one OS but a VM is used to emulate the OS on another, and how it can emulated the necessary hardware. But I reckon there was more to say.

That karnaugh map result is what I got...

First time I've ever seen an exam correction...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HydraFly)
    I spent more time talking about how the game can be designed for one OS but a VM is used to emulate the OS on another, and how it can emulated the necessary hardware. But I reckon there was more to say.

That karnaugh map result is what I got...

First time I've ever seen an exam correction...
    Yeah I've never seen a correction before.

How was the question about memory / cpu management? What did you say

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've never seen a correction before.

How was the question about memory / cpu management? What did you say
    I spoke about disk defragmentation, backing store management, paging & segmentation (spoke about both), and for cpu management, processor scheduling examples - round robin, FCFS, multi-level feedback queues

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hydrafly)
    i spent more time talking about how the game can be designed for one os but a vm is used to emulate the os on another, and how it can emulated the necessary hardware. But i reckon there was more to say.

That karnaugh map result is what i got...

First time i've ever seen an exam correction...
    wait what exam correctiom?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steveeem)
    wait what exam correctiom?
    The floating point question said it was a 5 bit mantissa but it was meant to be 6 (or 6 & 7)

ReputationRep:
    I really liked that paper though

ReputationRep:
    That was actually not bad! Easier than I expected! What did you guys get for the Karnaugh map simplification? I got something like NOT C OR B, was that correct?
    I got that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steveeem)
    Ladies and gentleman how was it?
    nothing on databases...which is really annoying

ReputationRep:
    Was alright very hard to judge if I got written parts of the paper correct because there is a wide range of possible answers.

Can someone link an unofficial mark scheme?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.