Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I really hate macbeth so could I get some pointers as to how I could improve?

Shakespeare judiciously presents Lady Macbeth as powerful through her recurring ability to exceed social expectation and control things that surpass her delegated realm of power. Perhaps in doing this, Shakespeare highlights the consequences of powerful women within society and their ability to disrupt the status quo, appeasing the likes of an aristocratic audience. Within the imperative “come you spirits that tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here and fill me [...] with direst cruelty,” Shakespeare suggest that Lady Macbeth possesses enough power to surpass the realm of human manipulation by instructing the supernatural to do her bidding by assisting her in the act of regicide. In doing this, Shakespeare creates a clear imbalance in power within the relationship of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth and she assumes the role of the man as if Macbeth is incapable of doing what must be done with a decree of determination. The noun “mortal” has connotations of weakness and morality and implies she is willing to go whatever means necessary in order to be rid of innate human nature and transcend to an unworldly wickedness - much like that of the Witches. Her aptness for removing all that makes her identity proves she is willing to lose herself in order to gain power. Alternatively, she feels as if she has to do this because she is nothing without authority and to assume the role of a man is the only way she can be taken seriously as she stops “the access and passage to remorse.” Because she wishes to be “unsex[ed]” emphasises the fact that she is aware of how her femininity influences her actions and must be rid of it to attain true power. As 17th century upper class audience may be shocked and her actions met with animosity as she continually transgresses the status quo to commit actions they couldn’t have deemed possible by a woman of the time. The fact that she “have plucked [its] nipple from his boneless gums and dash'd the brains out” deepens the animosity of the audience would’ve had towards Lady Macbeth as she disregards women’s main purpose a Earth with such violent degradation. Shakespeare may do this in order to highlight the damaging effects of those who wish to transgress in order to fulfil their desires no matter the consequence. Through a feminist lens, it can be perceived that women are believed to be physically and mentally inferior to men and because of this, they are forced to overcompensate.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.