Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What percentage of people with Aspergers Syndrome go to University? watch

Announcements

Are there any published figures on this? Generally speaking, is it low or high? What are the factors that would affect the number of Aspergers Syndrome students attending University - is effective support within school one?

ReputationRep:
    I think you'd qualify for DSA with aspergers.

(Original post by rickyrossman)
    I think you'd qualify for DSA with aspergers.
    True. Are there any stats on how many with AS actually go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hard to find, bc I don't think people really like to admit they have it. I have it, it's not really something a lot of people with it like having, so I think the numbers are gonna be pretty skewed if going by the amount that admit it on UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the comp sci building and have a look for yourself. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    i think you can ask specific unis how many people with as they admit, using freedom of information, but some (like cambridge) already have statistics available if you know where to find them

ReputationRep:
    Are there any published figures on this? Generally speaking, is it low or high? What are the factors that would affect the number of Aspergers Syndrome students attending University - is effective support within school one?
    High functioning autism/AS tends to be linked with above-normal IQs and a propensity towards systematic thinking, so I doubt it'd be on the low side. What kind of support would you be expecting?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    UCAS may hold this information.

ReputationRep:
    I have Asperger's and I am going to uni in September. I don't know any other autistic people who go or are going. My autistic friend hasn't even sent his application yet!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    84.3643%

ReputationRep:
    I am 58 and was diagnosed in 2013 with Asperger's. It has taken me until 2018 to acknowledge what has been holding me back my whole life. I applied to do BA(Hons) at Uni and start in September. I'm looking forward to it and dreading it in equal measure but I have spent my life rebelling against my unknown assassin and have no intention of letting it keep me down anymore. I've finally accepted that I have Asperger's and have no issue telling others; it's thier problem if they are don't understand it!I studied computing in the late 90's and struggled like hell without support. Things are different now and generally more socially accepted. I'm leaving a career in network engineering to do what I should have done when I was 18. I have a mortgage and children at home - I'll work around my responsibilities as I always have.I'm happy being a loner and struggle in social situations but will force myself to engage with anyone willing to want to know me. I'm happier than I've ever been these days

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.