Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I’m currently in year 11 and I really want to do medicene. However, I hate Geography with a passion and I don’t really have the ability to do Physics. I do like English lit though (it’s my best subject, along with Chemistry). My question is: if I did Chemistry, Biology and English lit (along with welsh bac 😒) could I still have a good chance of getting in? My predicted grades for gcse are good (above 10a*).

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why you mentioned geography because you definitely don't need that for medicine.

I'd recommend you at least do maths AS.

But otherwise, those A Levels sound great.

ReputationRep:
    Or if not you can do an EPQ in maths - but deffo would recommend some maths

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend doing Biology, Chemistry and English Literature that has got offers from two medical schools (I know one is Hull York but I'm not sure on the other). Very few medical schools will require a specific 3rd A Level, almost all say take what you want. DO NOT take a 3rd subject you don't enjoy like geography, maths, physics, etc. just cause you feel like you should. Take what you enjoy and what you get your best grades in.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna191817)
    Hi, I’m currently in year 11 and I really want to do medicene. However, I hate Geography with a passion and I don’t really have the ability to do Physics. I do like English lit though (it’s my best subject, along with Chemistry). My question is: if I did Chemistry, Biology and English lit (along with welsh bac 😒) could I still have a good chance of getting in? My predicted grades for gcse are good (above 10a*).
    If you are thinking of applying to some of the best medical schools in the country, I’d recommend Biology, Chemistry and Maths - or similar.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You honestly do not need maths. Do it if you like. As long as your have bio and chem all but 1 medical school (cambridge) will be open to you. Your 3rd A Level could be in pretty much anything. Just choose something that you enjoy and a subject that you can succeed in.

ReputationRep:
    Biology, chemistry and another subject that you like and are good at is the way to go. English lit is fine. The entry requirements are perfectly clear - you do not need maths and it's not secretly preferred by medical schools despite what some people on here seem to think.

ReputationRep:
    Most courses will ask for two science subjects, you would meet those criteria so I don't see why not. They'll prefer an A in English Literature to a B in Physics that's for sure. Literature also gives you a nice balance if you decide that medicine isn't for you and is a well respected subject. Good choices all round I reckon.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Honestly does not help when the first couple of answers are "do maths" or "you need maths".

No med schools require/like/prefer maths. Biology and Chemistry is pretty much all you need for any med school. The 3rd subject is completely up to you. If you enjoy/find English Lit easy, then absolutely take that as your third subject.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Officially: Only Cambridge prefer maths (i.e. 3 sciences)

Unofficially: having maths correlates with getting a better BMAT score. It might not be causative. There is no data available for the UKCAT.

A definite myth: That any med school except Cambridge states any preference for having a third science or maths. Check websites - that is simply untrue.

ReputationRep:
    The point is that chemistry is need by nearly all medical schools, a second science subject (biology/physics/maths) is needed too (though more schools are moving to biology) and the third is a free choice.

ReputationRep:
    Take biology and chemistry. The third subject take anything that you will get at least an A grade in. This could be history, psychology, sociology, philosophy or Spanish. Anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Officially: Only Cambridge prefer maths.

Unofficially: having maths correlates with getting a better BMAT score. It might not be causative. There is no data available for the UKCAT.

A definite myth: That any med school except Cambridge states any preference for having a third science or maths. Check websites - that is simply untrue.
    Can I ask for your source when you say Cambridge prefer Maths? SOME colleges like 3 sciences but it doesn't specify maths anywhere?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by GrandMedic)
    Can I ask for your source when you say Cambridge prefer Maths? SOME colleges like 3 sciences but it doesn't specify maths anywhere?
    I answered the question and only maths was being considered. They also prefer physics yes. I will edit for clarity.

However, my statement about the BMAT holds true. People with maths tend to score higher in the BMAT, whereas people with physics do not.

ReputationRep:
    I answered the question and only maths was being considered. They also prefer physics yes. I will edit for clarity.

However, my statement about the BMAT holds true. People with maths tend to score higher in the BMAT, whereas people with physics do not.
    I wasn't questioning that part. Yes maths will help you in the BMAT and I suspect the UKCAT too (as doing maths regularly will certainly increase the speed of your mental maths for QR).

It's just maths isn't preferred by any uni. Cambridge like 3 sciences but this could equally be Bio, Chem, Physics like you mentioned.

ReputationRep:

I wasn't questioning that part. Yes maths will help you in the BMAT and I suspect the UKCAT too (as doing maths regularly will certainly increase the speed of your mental maths for QR).

It's just maths isn't preferred by any uni. Cambridge like 3 sciences but this could equally be Bio, Chem, Physics like you mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrandMedic)
    Honestly does not help when the first couple of answers are "do maths" or "you need maths".

No med schools require/like/prefer maths. Biology and Chemistry is pretty much all you need for any med school. The 3rd subject is completely up to you. If you enjoy/find English Lit easy, then absolutely take that as your third subject.
    I never said you would need it, I just suggested that you could do an eps in it as it will make their application stronger

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous030701)
    I never said you would need it, I just suggested that you could do an eps in it as it will make their application stronger
    Stronger in what sense? There must be a reason you are saying that. Would it not be 'stronger' to do a medically related EPQ? Maybe in cancer treatments or stem cells?

An EPQ is there as an additional option for students, and it does prepare them with some skills that can be utilised at university level. So why would a medical applicant choose to do a maths related topic if they have other options?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous030701)
    I'm not sure where you heard this?

How exactly is your application going to be stronger? Med schools don't even look at your EPQ nor favour applicants who have it. You can talk about it in your personal statement and that's about it but even then it would make more sense to do a medically-related topic. You are after all applying to medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazingphoenix)
    Stronger in what sense? There must be a reason you are saying that. Would it not be 'stronger' to do a medically related EPQ? Maybe in cancer treatments or stem cells?

An EPQ is there as an additional option for students, and it does prepare them with some skills that can be utilised at university level. So why would a medical applicant choose to do a maths related topic if they have other options?
    My friend applied for Med and did an epq in math and got an a* in it - the eps was equally as strong as an AS. When she had here interview she explained how she didn't do a-level maths but she did an EPQ to prove she was good with numbers. Although its not a requirement the uni appreciated it and said they were glad she did it and that they could tell she was passionate.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.