Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I've just been working out these past few weeks and I've made significant progress strength and muscle wise I've been on and off working out for a couple of years and I've just had some consistency these past few weeks today I asked for a spot on overhead dumbell press as I was going from 16kg to 20kg the weight was fine it was pretty easy to lift until I got to my 7th rep and that was when I needed spotting the guy spotting me told me after that my muscles were shaking and that I shouldn't be lifting so much but I felt fine lifting to the 7th rep (i do 8 reps) and even then I didn't feel like I was going to drop the weight I just needed a little help is this okay? he even said to me he doesn't do a lot of weight lifting and couldnt do that much but apparently his friend that is a personal trainer told him that
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    also i was doing 4 sets of arnold dumbell press and 4 of dumbell overhead press
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    it could either be your CNS saying "WTF MAN", if you've not lifted in a while it will be quite a shock, It will pass.

but if your shaking say during your last set like you said, and you have recently bumped or been working really hard and this is your last set then its a good thing to see...means your muscles are getting exhausted and youre working them.

you ever sit and watch the guys lift? they are grunting, groaning and struggling to get that weight up sometimes....oh yah they do shake, like one of those vibrating plates you stand on :lol: its normal dw

ReputationRep:
    To be fair until that dude mentioned it it wasnt a big deal and I haven't really noticed it with any exercise besides squats but I think that's because I only have a smith machine to squat with as the gym doesn't have a free weight barbell
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by curlsixtb)
    To be fair until that dude mentioned it it wasnt a big deal and I haven't really noticed it with any exercise besides squats but I think that's because I only have a smith machine to squat with as the gym doesn't have a free weight barbell
    smiths machines are the worst

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CleverSquirrel)
    smiths machines are the worst
    tell me about it I have to make do right now though doing squats and deadlifts on it but it's better than nothing to be honest

ReputationRep:
    Really? That's weird, because on the smith machine you're not engaging as much muscles.

I shake when my core is weak or my stabilisation muscles are weak or I'm lifting very heavy.
    Ignore the spotter who said drop your weight, If you don't lift heavy you're not going to grow quickly.
    I have a friend who does 10x10 of curls and to be quite frank it's stupid to be doing that many reps so don't lift for reps.

As a rule of thumb:
    5 reps- Improve strength (You must your 75-90% 1 Rep Max)
    12 reps- Improves Muscle Endurance (About 50% of your 1 Rep Max)
    8 reps- This is sort of the middle.

OP what you're doing is fine. Lift to failure and then drop the weight and carry on your sets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulletzone)
    Really? That's weird, because on the smith machine you're not engaging as much muscles.

I shake when my core is weak or my stabilisation muscles are weak or I'm lifting very heavy.
    Ignore the spotter who said drop your weight, If you don't lift heavy you're not going to grow quickly.
    I have a friend who does 10x10 of curls and to be quite frank it's stupid to be doing that many reps so don't lift for reps.

As a rule of thumb:
    5 reps- Improve strength (You must your 75-90% 1 Rep Max)
    12 reps- Improves Muscle Endurance (About 50% of your 1 Rep Max)
    8 reps- This is sort of the middle.

OP what you're doing is fine. Lift to failure and then drop the weight and carry on your sets.
    that's exactly what it is i think I read a thread on bb.com that squats are generally harder on smith machines (but not better) because you're using fewer muscles to move the same weight that you would usually use more muscles to move

ReputationRep:
    that's exactly what it is i think I read a thread on bb.com that squats are generally harder on smith machines (but not better) because you're using fewer muscles to move the same weight that you would usually use more muscles to move
    In a way, I see your point: You're using fewer muscles to move the same weight, thus they shall be undergoing more stress.
    On the contrary, Barbell squats incorporates a lot more muscles including the smaller muscles which are also responsible for stabilisation, thus making it harder to lift free-weights.

ReputationRep:
    Shaking is just weakness leaving your body. Push through it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Fatigue

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.