Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm unsure about what I want to do next year. Should I do my A levels or do a btec in business? I'd like to go in to human resources in university, will this definitely be possible?

I'm not sure about A levels because I find it almost impossible to revise due to having to share a bedroom with my little brother and I'm currently stressing out a lot over my GCSE's and how they will go down because of this.

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Do the BTEC buddy, I have so much spare time its insane, these assignments barely take a week to do and they are usually scheduled to be done in 2-3 weeks. A levels is complex because there are a number of different subjects you have to revise for which means you need excellent organisation/ planning and a good memorization technique. This is different for BTEC where you just do assignments and have 4 exams (2 in first year June and 2 in the following January) in the new 2016 specification. You will do perfectly fine with a BTEC to get into an excellent university for human resources and have the specific expertise to do well at university by doing the BTEC Business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solbusiness)
    Do the BTEC buddy, I have so much spare time its insane, these assignments barely take a week to do and they are usually scheduled to be done in 2-3 weeks. A levels is complex because there are a number of different subjects you have to revise for which means you need excellent organisation/ planning and a good memorization technique. This is different for BTEC where you just do assignments and have 4 exams (2 in first year June and 2 in the following January) in the new 2016 specification. You will do perfectly fine with a BTEC to get into an excellent university for human resources and have the specific expertise to do well at university by doing the BTEC Business.
    Thank you. I'm glad to hear that I would have plenty of free time because I like to write and play music, and at the minute I barely have any time to do this with the GCSE's, which probably don't take half the time as A levels and I just end up being too washed up entirely. One question I do have is, will the college assist me in university application? I'm sorry if this is a daft question, I go to a grammar school that has told us absolutely nothing about our other options outside of A levels so I need to figure out everything on my own.
    Thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukem23)
    Thank you. I'm glad to hear that I would have plenty of free time because I like to write and play music, and at the minute I barely have any time to do this with the GCSE's, which probably don't take half the time as A levels and I just end up being too washed up entirely. One question I do have is, will the college assist me in university application? I'm sorry if this is a daft question, I go to a grammar school that has told us absolutely nothing about our other options outside of A levels so I need to figure out everything on my own.
    Thanks for the advice!
    You are right, A levels is like a full time working contract of 9 hours a day for 2 years which is a pain. My college did assist me with my UCAS application by providing the buzz-code, the reference from my teacher and sending the application through the college.

Everything you need to include in assignments and exams are on the specification, so really you do not need a teacher or lessons as everything is on the internet and the BTEC national books for 2016 specification.

ReputationRep:
    What are you planning on doing at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solbusiness)
    You are right, A levels is like a full time working contract of 9 hours a day for 2 years which is a pain. My college did assist me with my UCAS application by providing the buzz-code, the reference from my teacher and sending the application through the college.

Everything you need to include in assignments and exams are on the specification, so really you do not need a teacher or lessons as everything is on the internet and the BTEC national books for 2016 specification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukem23)
    Business Management

ReputationRep:
    Do A-Levels IMO. It differs from person-to-person, but you will never get these years back so why not make the most of them? I see it as short-term pain for long-term gain

Having applied to uni this year it seems that the traditionally well-respected unis (and there are people out there who still care about that, unfortunately) are difficult enough to get in with A-Levels. And having also received offers for Management it seems like employers will not just take any old joe with a business degree in an increasingly competitive graduate market (a phrase that has been hammered home by every uni Open Day presentation I've been to) - especially as business degrees in the UK are pretty competitive themselves with lots of high-achieving students from overseas.

If you really want spare time go for it, but whenever I have spare time I always waste it away on social media etc. The best use of our time at this age is learning. That being said I don't envy you as 16 is too young to make a fully informed decision about your future.

Good luck with your GCSE's!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OpenStrings)
    Do A-Levels IMO. It differs from person-to-person, but you will never get these years back so why not make the most of them? I see it as short-term pain for long-term gain

Having applied to uni this year it seems that the traditionally well-respected unis (and there are people out there who still care about that, unfortunately) are difficult enough to get in with A-Levels. And having also received offers for Management it seems like employers will not just take any old joe with a business degree in an increasingly competitive graduate market (a phrase that has been hammered home by every uni Open Day presentation I've been to) - especially as business degrees in the UK are pretty competitive themselves with lots of high-achieving students from overseas.

If you really want spare time go for it, but whenever I have spare time I always waste it away on social media etc. The best use of our time at this age is learning. That being said I don't envy you as 16 is too young to make a fully informed decision about your future.

Good luck with your GCSE's!
    Thank you, I know I'd use spare time wisely by writing or recording music or writing sketches and other creative things but I do think doing A level drama would be fun along with english and economics.

I still have a few months to decide! Thank you for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am coming to the end of Level 3 Business (old spec).I have found the course okay, but far too easy. I am aware the specification has changed now and it is "harder", with two exams in Year 1. The course is broad and you would definitely be able to go into Business Management at University, I got unconditional offers. I got all distinctions in Year 1, so good luck!
    If you have any queries please do not hesitate to ask

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.