Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone had a really tough chapter of their lives? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know that I have. The last 8 months have been hard.

Starting with the recognition of the fact that I am gay. Then, having to hide my secret and feeling so isolated. That has caused me some emotional troubles.

Then, my grandmother passed in November. She was getting frail, but I never got to see her for several months prior to her passing. It was upsetting, as I had great memories of her from when I was younger.

Next up, troubles with friendships. There is one guy who I hang about with (not because I want to), and he treats me really badly, not to mention doesn't care about me or anything I have to say. I feel really lonely at school without any other friends and he just sucks the joy out of me.

Next up, exams. I often struggle to cope with the stress of them, and having depression and feeling isolated this year has made things worse. It is tough doing exams and keeping up with the demands of parents, teachers, tutors etc, but doing it in my current happiness level is even harder.

My last one is my feelings of being body-conscious about my weight. I have been overweight for a while, and feel really bad about it. I am also obsessed with trying to lose weight and become attractive, to the extent that I have not been eating enough on some days and am obsessed with diets. I am also obsessed with trying to become attractive, as I don't feel good in myself right now, and standards are HIGH in the gay community.

Now that I have got my problems off my chest, has anyone else had a tough time in their lives and would like to talk about it? Eager to hear your experiences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe2001)

Starting with the recognition of the fact that I am gay. Then, having to hide my secret and feeling so isolated. That has caused me some emotional troubles.

Then, my grandmother passed in November. She was getting frail, but I never got to see her for several months prior to her passing. It was upsetting, as I had great memories of her from when I was younger.

Next up, troubles with friendships. There is one guy who I hang about with (not because I want to), and he treats me really badly, not to mention doesn't care about me or anything I have to say. I feel really lonely at school without any other friends and he just sucks the joy out of me.

Next up, exams. I often struggle to cope with the stress of them, and having depression and feeling isolated this year has made things worse. It is tough doing exams and keeping up with the demands of parents, teachers, tutors etc, but doing it in my current happiness level is even harder.

My last one is my feelings of being body-conscious about my weight. I have been overweight for a while, and feel really bad about it. I am also obsessed with trying to lose weight and become attractive, to the extent that I have not been eating enough on some days and am obsessed with diets. I am also obsessed with trying to become attractive, as I don't feel good in myself right now, and standards are HIGH in the gay community.

Now that I have got my problems off my chest, has anyone else had a tough time in their lives and would like to talk about it? Eager to hear your experiences.
    I'm sorry to hear that you've been through a lot in the past 8 months. I've been quite a lot in the past year.

This time last year i was at university and was struggling with social anxiety and depression. I was very unhappy and i didn't attend all my lectures due to the anxiety. I lost motivation with university work due to my unhappiness with being at university in general. I had low self confidence. I often felt numb and would cry a lot.
    My dad suddenly passed away in April last year. There were no prior warnings and he seemed healthy. My university exams were postponed till the summer as i didn't sit them due to the bereavement. Having to adjust to family life without my dad has been difficult.
    When it came to deciding whether to return to university for my second year, i just couldn't actually face it. I decided to take a year out of university to be there for my family and also to work on my anxiety and depression that i had tried to push aside for a long time.
    Taking the decision to take a year out was surprisingly not easy for me. I'm hard on myself and got a lot of my self worth from my achievements, so to be actively taking a step back from academic life was upsetting.
    I started antidepressants in August. I struggled with disturbing side effects for the first 2 months. I often felt numb and i struggled to get through the day. I switched to another one and i am still on that one now. I haven't had bad side effects and i would say i am feeling better. My social anxiety is greatly gone now. I have also been having CBT therapy for months and i feel that has been helping me to understand myself, and i have acknowledged that i have perfectionistic tendencies.
    My gran, my dad's mum, was in hospital for a while at the end of last year due to trouble with her mobility. Her house was sold last month in February which i found upsetting because me and my family have had so many memories there. She is now in a nursing home. She is doing ok and she is getting looked after which is the most important thing.

I have been through quite a lot in the past 12 months but i am definitely a stronger person now. I am also more grateful for the things i can appreciate in my life. I hope life starts to get better for you soon, and i'm sure it will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stephlmx)
    I'm sorry to hear that you've been through a lot in the past 8 months. I've been quite a lot in the past year.

This time last year i was at university and was struggling with social anxiety and depression. I was very unhappy and i didn't attend all my lectures due to the anxiety. I lost motivation with university work due to my unhappiness with being at university in general. I had low self confidence. I often felt numb and would cry a lot.
    My dad suddenly passed away in April last year. There were no prior warnings and he seemed healthy. My university exams were postponed till the summer as i didn't sit them due to the bereavement. Having to adjust to family life without my dad has been difficult.
    When it came to deciding whether to return to university for my second year, i just couldn't actually face it. I decided to take a year out of university to be there for my family and also to work on my anxiety and depression that i had tried to push aside for a long time.
    Taking the decision to take a year out was surprisingly not easy for me. I'm hard on myself and got a lot of my self worth from my achievements, so to be actively taking a step back from academic life was upsetting.
    I started antidepressants in August. I struggled with disturbing side effects for the first 2 months. I often felt numb and i struggled to get through the day. I switched to another one and i am still on that one now. I haven't had bad side effects and i would say i am feeling better. My social anxiety is greatly gone now. I have also been having CBT therapy for months and i feel that has been helping me to understand myself, and i have acknowledged that i have perfectionistic tendencies.
    My gran, my dad's mum, was in hospital for a while at the end of last year due to trouble with her mobility. Her house was sold last month in February which i found upsetting because me and my family have had so many memories there. She is now in a nursing home. She is doing ok and she is getting looked after which is the most important thing.

I have been through quite a lot in the past 12 months but i am definitely a stronger person now. I am also more grateful for the things i can appreciate in my life. I hope life starts to get better for you soon, and i'm sure it will.
    Really sorry to hear about your dad. That's really sad that it happened so unexpectedly and has had an impact on your education.

As for your gran, that sounds really similar to the situation that my gran was in. She was out of her house for 13 months and then she passed away on my 16th birthday last November. She gradually lost mobility over the years, and after some time in hospital, she went to a nursing home. Apparently, she deteriorated significantly after I last saw her and I was never aware of how bad she was until after she died.

ReputationRep:

Hello. I'm sorry to hear that you have been having a tough time. I can't imagine how hard it must be to be gay when homophobia is still a big problem.

I've had a tough time too. Last year, I became estranged from my parents and moved to London. I felt very lonely because all my friends and family are back home so I was basically alone in this new big city.

I want to be a teacher but got rejected from every course I applied for. Tried for TA jobs but got rejected for them too. So, I'm stuck working two part time jobs, one as a waitress and another one as a midday assistant.

Also been having problems with my boyfriend as well. He has been very distant from me and has been frequenting clubs more often.

We all go through hardships but I think it is important to stay positive. Maybe, God gives us these challenges in order to make us stronger and appreciate what we still have.

You still have life and health in you, as well as people who love you.

ReputationRep:
    Really sorry to hear about your dad. That's really sad that it happened so unexpectedly and has had an impact on your education.

As for your gran, that sounds really similar to the situation that my gran was in. She was out of her house for 13 months and then she passed away on my 16th birthday last November. She gradually lost mobility over the years, and after some time in hospital, she went to a nursing home. Apparently, she deteriorated significantly after I last saw her and I was never aware of how bad she was until after she died.
    Thank you.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I feel grateful to still have my gran and i try to see her every week or so.

I feel like since my dad passed away i have learned to appreciate the people i have in my life more.

Although it's dreadful to go through hard times, i feel like they can teach us valuable lessons as well. I think that good things can come out of some of the toughest situations. <3

ReputationRep:
    Ive had a few periods of my life which were more difficult...often because of the density of the sh*** that happened. When I was 19, I was made homeless. That year or so was a period of so much poop.

Spoiler:
    Show

I had to be sex worker for short while. When i finally got roof over my head, it was broken into. I was threatened with knife and being burnt in my sleep by neighbour. Was seriously sexually assaulted - not related to sex work. I tried to complete suicide multiple times - enough to end up being assessed at inpatient facility. And college told me to come back when i didnt have real world problems. So in short space of time i found myself in poverty with zero prospects

I want you to know that my life took better turns, as will yours. Now I am a person with a foundation degree, studying for a bsc whilst doing teaching qualification. I live in a lovely house with a lovely man who is so in love with me Am i unbruised from that time? No, noone would be but i have hope Im sorry you had such a rough 8 months. Its good to reach out

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.