Turn on thread page Beta

"No deal" would cost the UK/EU £58 billion annually shows new report watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Where are all the hard brexiteers that said no deal is better than a bad deal?

The economic repercussions of a hard Brexit have been proved many times, yet people continue to justify it. I can understand their anger towards migration, as I myself have grown to become anti- immigration but surely an annual bill of £58 billion is unsustainable, which would in fact cause increased unemployment, higher inflation and an overall weaker economy.

The fact is most people who voted for Brexit were white people aged 45-70 (which sadly makes up the majority of the UK's voting population). Most of these people have already retired or are comfortable in their jobs and care no less for the economic state of the UK, housing crisis, unemployment. They care only for their triple-lock and less "moslems" in the country.

Surely Brexit must be revoked for the idiotic mistake that it was.

Firms across the EU’s 27 countries other than Britain will have to pay 31 billion pounds a year in tariff and non-tariff barriers if Britain leaves the bloc without a deal, the report by Oliver Wyman management consultants and law firm Clifford Chance said.

In return, British exporters to the EU will have to pay 27 billion pounds a year.

“These increased costs and uncertainty threaten to reduce profitability and pose existential threats to some businesses,” the report said.

Britain is due to leave the EU next year after voting in favor of ending more than four decades of political, economic and legal ties with the world’s largest trading bloc.
    In the absence of an agreement, trade between Britain and the other 27 EU members would default to World Trade Organization rules and tariffs, a sharp contrast to the access the UK has enjoyed as a member of the EU’s single market.

Although Britain wants a deal, the government says it is preparing for any outcome, including the chance that Britain could crash out of the bloc without a deal. It has set aside 3 billion pounds to prepare for all eventualities.
    https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-br...-idUKKCN1GO00N

ReputationRep:
    But the NHS will still be getting all that money from the side of the bus, yeah?

ReputationRep:
    I am as anti-Brexit as the next man, but even I would stop short of saying I had proved it is going to cost £58 billion a year. The article mentions it "could" cost £58 billion a year. I would put this in the same section as Davis who said Brexit wasn't going to look like Mad Max.

There was however an interesting piece about how many of the UK government departments plus the two new Brexit departments have started to hire thousands of people to work on Brexit. The cost of staffing before Brexit is looking at costing around £2 billion! I find this incredible seeing as the likes of health and education have to go cap-in-hand to get additional funding, yet £2 billion can be found out of no where with no public scrutiny to pay for something only half the population think they want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    But the NHS will still be getting all that money from the side of the bus, yeah?
    Where's the money Nigel? Oh it was a lie was it?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The PoliticalGuy)
    Where are all the hard brexiteers that said no deal is better than a bad deal?

The economic repercussions of a hard Brexit have been proved many times, yet people continue to justify it. I can understand their anger towards migration, as I myself have grown to become anti- immigration but surely an annual bill of £58 billion is unsustainable, which would in fact cause increased unemployment, higher inflation and an overall weaker economy.

The fact is most people who voted for Brexit were white people aged 45-70 (which sadly makes up the majority of the UK's voting population). Most of these people have already retired or are comfortable in their jobs and care no less for the economic state of the UK, housing crisis, unemployment. They care only for their triple-lock and less "moslems" in the country.

Surely Brexit must be revoked for the idiotic mistake that it was.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-br...-idUKKCN1GO00N
    I completely agree that the decision made about leaving the EU was a bad one and a second vote to change our minds which be fantastic.

However I would just like to know why you are anti - immigration??

Just curious..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.