Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    im doing history at AS level along with psychology and english lit, i love my other two subjects but i really cannot cope with history. My teacher and the history department in my highly prestige sixth form is not that great and i dont even know what i am doing. im doing britain AQA challenge and transformation and i really cant deal with it. has anyone got any advice for me pleaseeee. i really dont want to drop it. has anyone gotten a high grade, what are your best tips?

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Not sure how applicable this advice will be to you as I study the Edexcel spec for Britain (Germany + Italy also).

However, I have found the more useful (and the most general piece of teaching/advice) I have been given is to have a writing frame for each of your question types. For example I have an essay, source and an interpretation style question in my papers and what helps me to guide my thoughts and 'walk the examiner through my response' is to have a good frame to stick to.

Introductions, make them short but direct, memorise approved phrases/sentences that your teacher might provide. If you can write an introduction without really thinking/whilst reading the question or thinking up a plan it can save you valuable time in an exam. In my frame we always talk about a given factor first (anything mentioned in the title). Never leave a point without evidence, unless you are quoting another historian and using said lack of evidence to dismantle their argument.

Conclusions, for essays, is all about the relative significance of the factors you have discussed. Sources, to what degree of certainty they can be used and interpretation questions a good summary of arguments and a considered judgement usually suffices.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much. this really is so helpful. It doesn't really feel like I'm doing an A level in history, my teacher is super chill but doesn't push us to try anything, he just talks about everything and I have no idea what is going on. I didn't do it at GCSE, and I am struggling so much.

x

ReputationRep:
    That sounds frustrating, I've been blessed with some really passionate teachers. Maybe suggest handing in extra peices of work/essays and ask if they can be marked. That's what I've been doing since the start of year 13. Just one or two extra exam style responses every half term, makes a difference though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _bgall)
    That sounds frustrating, I've been blessed with some really passionate teachers. Maybe suggest handing in extra peices of work/essays and ask if they can be marked. That's what I've been doing since the start of year 13. Just one or two extra exam style responses every half term, makes a difference though.

Yes I am totally considering doing that, but I just feel like there is so much content and that it never ends.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if the same is true for you spec, but we have both breadth and depth topics. British trade/navy being breadth covering a couple of 100 years and depth topics being Germany and Italy about 80-90 years.

For the depth topics, yes it is important to know details and all of the chronology but for the breadth topics where it seems like the content is endless, the exam board will not expect you to cover it all, about 75% would show good enough knowledge to merit a high grade (my teachers words).

This might not apply at all to your spec but it's worth noting that there are definitely areas that can be left out of the chronology of a topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happybunny8032)
    im doing history at AS level along with psychology and english lit, i love my other two subjects but i really cannot cope with history. My teacher and the history department in my highly prestige sixth form is not that great and i dont even know what i am doing. im doing britain AQA challenge and transformation and i really cant deal with it. has anyone got any advice for me pleaseeee. i really dont want to drop it. has anyone gotten a high grade, what are your best tips?

xxx
    I'm doing the same specification as you. If you can, try and find help sheets that help you understand how you lay out an essay. This helped me out massively during my GCSE and has helped me out now. I've been able to get A's this year with help sheets. Make sure you're doing additional reading outside of the lessons when you can as this will help you to understand what you're studying in lesson and further cements your knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

As you are doing a breadth study I'd recommend flowcharts and mindmaps, they have been a lifesaver for me. Secondly, essay planning (probably the most important thing if you want to go for a top level five essay); there is no point in knowing all the content without being able to apply your knowledge. Hope this helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 17, 2018

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.