Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Feel pressured to do something for my birthday watch

Announcements

My friendship group has kind of split and I only really regularly talk to one of the girls from it. It's my birthday soon and she's asking what I want to do for it and what presents I want but I don't really want to do anything.
    We've always done presents so I'm assuming I'll get something even though I don't actually have anything in mind. But then if I'm getting stuff I feel a bit bad not doing anything for my birthday.
    I don't want a party, ideally I'd like a night out but most of my friends aren't really into my kind of music plus tickets can be expensive. I don't particularly want a group meal and it feels a bit weird especially since I don't spend time with the other members of the group.
    I do have other friends outside of the group but they don't know each other so it wouldn't really work inviting them.
    Any ideas? Is it bad to say I don't want to do anything?

bump

You shouldn't feel pressured into doing anything, especially since you'll end up spending money when your not fully enjoying yourself or feeling comfortable. I was in a similar situation a while ago where my group had kind of split but while we got each other gifts separately/ in pairs we didn't celebrate as a whole group, if there's particular people you want to spend it with then maybe just go out shopping with them or on a coffee date.I know a lot of people prefer not to do anything for their birthdays and you don't need to feel guilty about not doing anything, hope you have a good birthday btw

ReputationRep:
    I have this problem on pretty much every single one of my birthdays, I normally am okay to tell my friends I’m not doing anything though and I just celebrate with pizza and a movie (as sad as that may make me appear). I don’t think it’s bad to say you don’t want to do anything, it’s what makes you happy on your birthday that is most important imo. As for suggestions on what to do, if there’s anything at all that you all would be okay doing together, even if it’s just going shopping or hanging out at a place you like (or home) then maybe suggest that? Or ask your friends if they have any suggestions?
    Whatever happens, don’t stress over it, make sure you have fun on your birthday. (Happy birthday for whenever it is!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My friendship group has kind of split and I only really regularly talk to one of the girls from it. It's my birthday soon and she's asking what I want to do for it and what presents I want but I don't really want to do anything.
    We've always done presents so I'm assuming I'll get something even though I don't actually have anything in mind. But then if I'm getting stuff I feel a bit bad not doing anything for my birthday.
    I don't want a party, ideally I'd like a night out but most of my friends aren't really into my kind of music plus tickets can be expensive. I don't particularly want a group meal and it feels a bit weird especially since I don't spend time with the other members of the group.
    I do have other friends outside of the group but they don't know each other so it wouldn't really work inviting them.
    Any ideas? Is it bad to say I don't want to do anything?
    Go out for a meal with your frinds or go to the cinema

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.