Prime Ministers Questions Watch

This discussion is closed.
CoffeeGeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by CountBrandenburg)
I’d ask the Honourable user to be patient, for our policy on the NHS will become apparent coming up soon, like many of our policies. Without giving too much away from my colleagues, the Home Secretary and the Defence Secretary, our policies on immigration and safety will certainly be pragmatic and will prioritise the nation’s safety.
Though not to steal from our prime minister’s credit, I’ll leave it to his discretion on how he’d like to elaborate
Point of order, this is Prime Minister's Questions.
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by CoffeeGeek)
Point of order, this is Prime Minister's Questions.
I know, I know. I’ve already been told off for that one 🙃
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
CoffeeGeek
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Point of order Mr Speaker. Can you please inform all of us what actions you will be taking if government members persist in answering questions that the Prime Minister should be answering?
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Point of order Mr Speaker. Can you please inform all of us what actions you will be taking if government members persist in answering questions that the Prime Minister should be answering?
I assure you PetrosAC will be with us shortly. Apologies for the delays (I believe he said he finishing off eating) .
But yes I shall try and refrain from answering questions ( though I’m within my right to debate with members from what the Speaker has said)
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Mr Speaker,

3 Liberal MPs failed to vote in favour of the Welfare Modernisation Bill which was aiming to implement Negative Income Tax, the policy I'm aware this government wants to pursue. Does the Prime Minister really believe that Negative Income Tax can be achieved even if he cannot get his own MPs to support not just government policy, but also his party policy seeing that it was also included in the manifesto?
Hear hear
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Mr Speaker,

I would, firstly, like to take the time to congratulate the Right Honourable member PetrosAC for his promotion to the position of Prime Minister. Regardless, what are the Prime Minister's principal goals during his time in Government, particularly, in regards to education?

I thank, in advance, the Prime Minister for his response, and wish him the best of luck.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Mr speaker,

Firstly I would like to congratulate the right honourable gentlemen on his appointment. May I ask the prime minister what his approach to the Syrian Civil war is in regard to providing military and financial support to the Kurds? Will he also be condemning the Turks for their bombing action?
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Unown Uzer)
Question number one, Mr Speaker.
Thank you. This morning I had meetings with ministerial colleagues and others. In addition to my duties in the House, I shall have further such meetings later today.

(Original post by Tanqueray91)
who u? :holmes:
You're the one with the new username

(Original post by Tommy1boy)
Mr Speaker

Can I congratulate my Right Honourable friend on his election to leader of the Liberal Party, and his promotion to the position of Prime Minister. I have no doubt he will do an excellent job. Could the Prime Minister outline this Government's response to the revelation that it is "highly likely" Russia was behind the probe, and whether we can expect a statement to the house on the actions that your Government will take.
I thank my Right Honourable friend for his congratulations and his question. The Government will be presenting a statement to the house when the situation becomes a lot clearer. On a slightly meta note, it's likely that we'll broadly follow whatever the RL Government do as they obviously have access to vast amounts of information that we do not.

(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
Why exactly does the Prime Minister believe that the country should trust somebody with poor enough judgement to like Oasis to occupy such a position of power?
4% of the UK Population applied for tickets to Knebworth. That's all you need to know

(Original post by Joep95)
With the evidence that one of your coalition partners has attempted to create fraudulent evidence to hurt your other coalition partner and his plan of ousting the liber leader was exposed does the pm have any concerns with working with Connor?

Along with the rest of the rule breaking where it was exposed he was more involved with than anyone else knew
After having a conversation with him as well as the Deputy Prime Minister, I do not have any concerns with working with Connor, or the Libertarians for that matter

(Original post by The PoliticalGuy)
Mr Speaker,

Surely all members of this house will join me in giving our thoughts and prayers towards the friends and families of all those affected by the atrocious attack that took place in Salisbury. Surely all members will condemn Russia (including the Rt hon pm) if it is found that they were involved in the attack.

However, it has come to my attention that this government is an outright failure, they have failed to clarify their position on the NHS and homeland security and they seem to be reusing policies that have previously failed in the house (like NIT, merging income tax with NIC). It seems that this government has inevitably run out of ideas, they have blatantly discredited some cabinet positions such as justice and home. I ask the Pm, what will he do to keep our country safe from terrorism and mass uncontrolled immigration?
I thank the Honourable Member for his question and I wish to reflect the sentiment expressed regarding the shocking event in Salisbury.

I think it is incredibly harsh to call a Government that's been formed for 3 days a failure and I suggest that the Honourable Member, whilst not wishing to curb his passion, calms down somewhat. I believe we have made our position on the NHS quite clear, with the intended introduction of the NHIS. I'll also add that just because a policy may fail or not pass once does not mean it should be abandoned - your party's own Bottle Deposit Bill was presented to this House on two other occasions, authored by a Liberal (Birchington) on the first occasion (I think the 2nd occasion too but I'd need to check).

I also completely disagree with the suggestion that we have discredited cabinet positions such as Justice and Home, I look forward to the relevant Ministers introducing new legislation in these departments.

On the question the Honourable member poses, I want to say straight away that the country does not need "protecting" from uncontrolled mass migration. Migration is not a curse, it is a blessing. The pressures apparently caused by it are caused by inactivity from Governments and Private companies and their lack of action in building more homes, more hospitals, more schools and better infrastructure. In terms of terrorism, our security services do an incredible job in keeping us safe and it's important to recognise that. There will not be a shift in how they are run because of the exceptional job they do.

I am however worried by the fact that the Honourable member seems to link terrorism with mass migration, which I find extremely disappointing.

(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Mr Speaker,

Can I congratulate the Prime Minister on belatedly getting the gig, and begin by asking him what he thinks are the key differences between his party and his coalition partners?
I thank the Right Honourable Gentleman for his congratulations. The biggest differences will lay between the left of my party and the right of the Libertarian Party. Where and how to cut taxes and expenditure is one thing we differ on in particular, but for the most part we hold similar policies as we share the same principles and belief in liberty and individualism.

(Original post by Connor27)
Mr Speaker,

I would like to congratulate my right honourable friend PetrosAC on becoming Prime Minister.

My question: what has surprised you the most on becoming Prime Minister?
Apart from actually becoming Prime Minister? I think it's too soon to say so perhaps ask me this when I've been in the job a little longer!

(Original post by KingHarold)
Can I ask the Prime Minister whether he prefers the solo music of Noel or Liam?
Noel, without question. The Album "Chasing Yesterday" is an absolute masterpiece.

Mr Speaker,

Does the Prime Minister agree with me that our public transport services, such as National Rail and TfL services (such as the London Underground) should be made essential services?
This is a proposal I must look a little deeper into. It's clear that such services are incredibly important. Whether they should be deemed essential services is another question. If the Honourable member has a bill, I'm sure the Infrastructure Secretary would be happy to discuss it with him.

Mr Speaker,

Would the Prime Minister agree with me that High Speed Rail should be extended to the North East and Scotland?
I do agree, but I also believe we need to fund research into Maglev.

(Original post by CountBrandenburg)
I didn’t know we had an PetrosAS, I only know of our Rt. Honourable friend, PetrosAC. I must once again extend my congratulations to the prime minister, and ask how ambitious would you describe yourself in terms of policy, bearing in mind we have 3 months to achieve it?
I thank my Right Honourable friend for his comment. I think it's important that we take the opportunity we have before us to pass as many policies as possible
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
I thank the Right Honourable Gentleman for his congratulations. The biggest differences will lay between the left of my party and the right of the Libertarian Party. Where and how to cut taxes and expenditure is one thing we differ on in particular, but for the most part we hold similar policies as we share the same principles and belief in liberty and individualism.
I thank the PM for his interesting answer. Has he therefore had to make concessions to the Libertarians on taxation, and what concessions might they be?
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Thank you. This morning I had meetings with ministerial colleagues and others. In addition to my duties in the House, I shall have further such meetings later today.

You're the one with the new username

I thank my Right Honourable friend for his congratulations and his question. The Government will be presenting a statement to the house when the situation becomes a lot clearer. On a slightly meta note, it's likely that we'll broadly follow whatever the RL Government do as they obviously have access to vast amounts of information that we do not.

4% of the UK Population applied for tickets to Knebworth. That's all you need to know

After having a conversation with him as well as the Deputy Prime Minister, I do not have any concerns with working with Connor, or the Libertarians for that matter

I thank the Honourable Member for his question and I wish to reflect the sentiment expressed regarding the shocking event in Salisbury.

I think it is incredibly harsh to call a Government that's been formed for 3 days a failure and I suggest that the Honourable Member, whilst not wishing to curb his passion, calms down somewhat. I believe we have made our position on the NHS quite clear, with the intended introduction of the NHIS. I'll also add that just because a policy may fail or not pass once does not mean it should be abandoned - your party's own Bottle Deposit Bill was presented to this House on two other occasions, authored by a Liberal (Birchington) on the first occasion (I think the 2nd occasion too but I'd need to check).

I also completely disagree with the suggestion that we have discredited cabinet positions such as Justice and Home, I look forward to the relevant Ministers introducing new legislation in these departments.

On the question the Honourable member poses, I want to say straight away that the country does not need "protecting" from uncontrolled mass migration. Migration is not a curse, it is a blessing. The pressures apparently caused by it are caused by inactivity from Governments and Private companies and their lack of action in building more homes, more hospitals, more schools and better infrastructure. In terms of terrorism, our security services do an incredible job in keeping us safe and it's important to recognise that. There will not be a shift in how they are run because of the exceptional job they do.

I am however worried by the fact that the Honourable member seems to link terrorism with mass migration, which I find extremely disappointing.

Apart from actually becoming Prime Minister? I think it's too soon to say so perhaps ask me this when I've been in the job a little longer!

Noel, without question. The Album "Chasing Yesterday" is an absolute masterpiece.

This is a proposal I must look a little deeper into. It's clear that such services are incredibly important. Whether they should be deemed essential services is another question. If the Honourable member has a bill, I'm sure the Infrastructure Secretary would be happy to discuss it with him.

I do agree, but I also believe we need to fund research into Maglev.

I thank my Right Honourable friend for his comment. I think it's important that we take the opportunity we have before us to pass as many policies as possible
Does that not paint a negative picture of your party considering what the tories planned was not as bad as what Connor tried to put into motion, or is pm so nice you are willing to overlook it?

CoffeeGeek do you have any comments about the double standards the liberals are showing?
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Mr Speaker,

3 Liberal MPs failed to vote in favour of the Welfare Modernisation Bill which was aiming to implement Negative Income Tax, the policy I'm aware this government wants to pursue. Does the Prime Minister really believe that Negative Income Tax can be achieved even if he cannot get his own MPs to support not just government policy, but also his party policy seeing that it was also included in the manifesto?
Some Members of my party disliked the way the bill would be implemented rather than the idea behind it itself. Once we work on implementing the policy in a way the whole Government agrees with, I'm sure we will have no such issues in passing the policy.

(Original post by ns_2)
Mr Speaker,

I would, firstly, like to take the time to congratulate the Right Honourable member PetrosAC for his promotion to the position of Prime Minister. Regardless, what are the Prime Minister's principal goals during his time in Government, particularly, in regards to education?

I thank, in advance, the Prime Minister for his response, and wish him the best of luck.
I thank the Right Honourable member for his comments. We will be releasing a Queen's Speech in the coming days that will go into some more detail but my goals for Education are to abolish KS2 SATs as a compulsory exam as well as expanding T-Levels and giving all primary school children the option of a free school meal.

(Original post by Andrew97)
Mr speaker,

Firstly I would like to congratulate the right honourable gentlemen on his appointment. May I ask the prime minister what his approach to the Syrian Civil war is in regard to providing military and financial support to the Kurds? Will he also be condemning the Turks for their bombing action?
I thank the Honourable Gentleman for his congratulations. The situation in Syria is an extremely complex one. I think it's important that as a Government we condemn all needless bombing and indeed violence. We are evaluating the situation regarding the Kurds at the moment - one possible route would be to offer training in their fight with ISIS.
Last edited by PetrosAC; 7 months ago
username1450924
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

I thank my right honourable friend for this response. As a follow up, can you assure this house that 'robust action' is needed rather then 'robust conversations'

On another note (second question), can my right honourable friend answer whether or not a Government led by him will see the mass privatisation of the NHS.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Does that not paint a negative picture of your party considering what the tories planned was not as bad as what Connor tried to put into motion, or is pm so nice you are willing to overlook it?

CoffeeGeek do you have any comments about the double standards the liberals are showing?
This is questions to the PM, not the Leader of the Conservatives.

DayneD89: Please move the right honourable former member’s latter paragraph to the commons bar.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I thank the PM for his interesting answer. Has he therefore had to make concessions to the Libertarians on taxation, and what concessions might they be?
Both Parties have been pragmatic in our approach towards taxation. We will be evaluating the situation as the term progresses.

I have no interest in discussing whatever happened behind closed doors and I'm sure the public don't either. I'd also like to remind the Right Honourable Gentleman that the Conservative Party Leader shouldn't be able to reply to your comment in this thread (though he can do it elsewhere)
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

I thank the Honourable Gentleman for his congratulations. The situation in Syria is an extremely complex one. I think it's important that as a Government we condemn all needless bombing and indeed violence. We are evaluating the situation regarding the Kurds at the moment - one possible route would be to offer training in their fight with ISIS.
I thank the PM for his repsonse, as a follow up regarding ISIS, what is his policy on Jihadist fighters returning to the United Kingdom?
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Tommy1boy)
I thank my right honourable friend for this response. As a follow up, can you assure this house that 'robust action' is needed rather then 'robust conversations'

On another note (second question), can my right honourable friend answer whether or not a Government led by him will see the mass privatisation of the NHS.
I believe we have to be cautious, especially before we know the full details, but we will take robust action if we deem it necessary.

A Government led by me will not oversee mass privatisation of the NHS - we are committed to delivering on our policy of a NHIS
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Both Parties have been pragmatic in our approach towards taxation. We will be evaluating the situation as the term progresses.

I have no interest in discussing whatever happened behind closed doors and I'm sure the public don't either. I'd also like to remind the Right Honourable Gentleman that the Conservative Party Leader shouldn't be able to reply to your comment in this thread (though he can do it elsewhere)
It’s easier to ask it here then he can reply elsewhere.

The liberal party once again is showing double standards your party was more than willing to discuss openly what the tories were planning but now that you have become pm you are not, what is the reason for the double standards?
username1450924
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I believe we have to be cautious, especially before we know the full details, but we will take robust action if we deem it necessary.

A Government led by me will not oversee mass privatisation of the NHS - we are committed to delivering on our policy of a NHIS
I thank my right honourable friend for his response, and I may ask some more questions tomorrow should I feel like it
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
I thank the PM for his repsonse, as a follow up regarding ISIS, what is his policy on Jihadist fighters returning to the United Kingdom?
Any person suspected of being a Jihadist fighter returning to the United Kingdom will be arrested on arrival and put in temporary detention until they can be put on trial.

It’s easier to ask it here then he can reply elsewhere.

The liberal party once again is showing double standards your party was more than willing to discuss openly what the tories were planning but now that you have become pm you are not, what is the reason for the double standards?
I have already said that I am not willing to discuss issues that have happened behind closed doors.
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
*KS2 SATs... KS3 one’s were abolished 8 years ago I believe my dear Prime minister. A slight slip of tongue does no harm.
But yes the house is to see an extensive education policy soon enough
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (398)
91.71%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (36)
8.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed