Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Speakers Statement: Capital Punishment Referendum

As a result of the passage of B1338 last month I have spent the last month disussing with Civil Service Administrators (CTs) the best way to run this. This referendum will run between Friday 27th April to Monday 30th April and will ask the question of the electorate “Should the United Kingdom reintroduce capital punishment?” and will be advisory, however if a supper majority of 2/3rds of the toal number of votes vote aye then Appendix 1 of B1338 will come into force, bringing back the death penalty will become an option for anyone who is convicted wherever life in prison is currently a sentencing option.

To begin with, two forums and usergroups have been created for use during this referendum, and you can start applying the group you want to help as soon as it's unhidden on your editgroups page. Over the weekend I will admit members to the two teams, with the only check being that you are not also already in the opposing group (an exception will be made for the press team, details below). At 6PM on Monday 19th I will begin a leadership election for leader and deputy leader in each group (details on exact dates are below), with it then being up to the leader of each group to admit members. A fairly long time has been set up for getting all of this started, and I would encourage both groups to begin preparing campaign material in this time.

Through April we will have several debates within the MHoC (details below), followed by a debate within D&CA that will also see a life podcast by the mBBC taking questions from the public (ie TSR members in the thread). People from both sides are also encouraged to use this thread to campaign leading up to the referendum that will take place in D&CA the following weekend. Please not that outside of accepted methods of advertising such as signiture banners, campaigning should be kept within this thread.

Dates Details
    Setting up
    17/03 - Forums and usergroups for each side will open and people will be able to apply to join the usergroup of choice.
    19/03 - Election for Leader of each side will begin, with manifestos being sent to the Speaker.
    23/03 -
    Manifestos are posted with voting starting right away.
    Manifesto word limit will be 250 words, though I will be a little relaxed about this

26/03 -
    Leader of each side announced, deputy leader election begins
    Manifesto word limit will be 250 words, though I will be a little relaxed about this

30/03 - Deputy leader election voting starts
    02/04 - Deputy Leader of each side declared.

Debates
    7th/8th April - The Leader and Deputy Leader of the Against campaign will answer questions posed to them by member of the house.
    14th/15th April - The Leader and Deputy Leader of the For campaign will answer questions posed to them by member of the house.
    21st/22nd April - A question time style debate will be opened up in D&CA, with eash side sending delagetes. This will start with an episode of the podcast where the delagates can debate, with the debate controller also asking questions from the thread. The thread will remain in D&CA so that the debate/campaign can continue.

Referendum date
    27th April -
    A 4 day vote will be posted in D&CA, containing a manifesto produced by each side.
    Manifestos will follow the same guielines as ageneral election

Press Details
    Note: Due to objections it will be up to the leaders of each side if they want to allow the press team into their forum.

Please note that a small press team led by 04MR17 will be allowed to be in both groups, and thus have access to both forums. This team will not be allowed to campaign for either side, and they will be just as bound by the rules on disclosing information from private forums as anyone else.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    I disagree with allowing press team into each forum - that should be conducted via PMs with the press team if and when the sides want to discuss that, not having it as a given. Other than that, I look forward to this happening.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Also, I should add that the press team are an unelected group of people, that have no reason to be trusted in that they won't leak details to the other side if that is one that they support, so why are they undeniably allowed into both UGs and subs, without anyone having a say?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Tanqueray91
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Tanqueray91)
    Also, I should add that the press team are an unelected group of people, that have no reason to be trusted in that they won't leak details to the other side if that is one that they support, so why are they undeniably allowed into both UGs and subs, without anyone having a say?
    I disagree with allowing press team into each forum - that should be conducted via PMs with the press team if and when the sides want to discuss that, not having it as a given. Other than that, I look forward to this happening.
    (Original post by Joep95)
    I agree with Tanqueray91
    Will quote the current objections DayneD89
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Let the latest waste of time in the name of recruitment begin

What happened to "we won't create new UGs becuase the site goes suuuuuupppppeeeerrrr slow with more UGs"?

And I'm with the others on the press
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Implying that being elected would mean they could be trusted.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Implying that being elected would mean they could be trusted.
    True, but being unelected is even worse...!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That timeline is absurd too
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    DayneD89 - given that the press team isn't even something that was voted for by the House, but something just 'created', it's even more absurd that they're being allowed into private subforums, when there has been no say on it by the House, to see both sides, and potentially leak information.

Cranbrook was a DS, supposedly someone the House could trust, yet he leaked election results, why should we believe that press team will not do the same, when the risk is a lot lower, and the chances of them really being found out, pretty damn slim.

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem with the timeline, however I am not a fan of allowing press in the subforums. I see why you have done it and I understand it, but there is little trust in the house and I dont think it is a good idea.

If it was just 04 in both of the subforums, I could live with that because I believe he is a trusted person within the house.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Tommy1boy)
    I have no problem with the timeline, however I am not a fan of allowing press in the subforums. I see why you have done it and I understand it, but there is little trust in the house and I dont think it is a good idea.

If it was just 04 in both of the subforums, I could live with that because I believe he is a trusted person within the house.
    a lot of people said that the same about cranbrook... none of the press should be allowed in. information should be released to the press as the campaign sides see fit, as even if they don't mean to, information they see in subs can be unintentionally released to the public domain.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Will quote the current objections DayneD89
    Given the amount of objection to that part I'm happy to leave it up to the leaders of each side. Note though that the members of this press team would be selected by the mBBC editor (who was elected, at least by those in the press office) and would also need to be approved by myself who was elected to the house.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Given the amount of objection to that part I'm happy to leave it up to the leaders of each side. Note though that the members of this press team would be selected by the mBBC editor (who was elected, at least by those in the press office) and would also need to be approved by myself who was elected to the house.
    Could you give party demographics, and figures for the press team? As though they may have been elected within the Press team, they certainly have not been elected by the House.

I'm sure cran was trusted as DS by the then Speaker (you?), but didn't stop him leaking.

ReputationRep:
    a lot of people said that the same about cranbrook... none of the press should be allowed in. information should be released to the press as the campaign sides see fit, as even if they don't mean to, information they see in subs can be unintentionally released to the public domain.
    Thats fair enough
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Could you give party demographics, and figures for the press team? As though they may have been elected within the Press team, they certainly have not been elected by the House.

I'm sure cran was trusted as DS by the then Speaker (you?), but didn't stop him leaking.
    Rakas, at least at the time of the offense, but point taken. I'll leave it up to 04MR17 (incidentally, you should be UG leader now, but let me know if you're still not) if he wants to give that information, as admissions are now up to him. I did try to take people from across the political spectrum, though I did have to pick out of those who were interested at the time.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Rakas, at least at the time of the offense, but point taken. I'll leave it up to 04MR17 (incidentally, you should be UG leader now, but let me know if you're still not) if he wants to give that information, as admissions are now up to him. I did try to take people from across the political spectrum, though I did have to pick out of those who were interested at the time.
    Well yeh, I assume Rakas trusted him - couldn't remember the exact timeline so apologies.

04MR17 gonna release information into MHoC?

Also, now it's an option (I think?) to hide UGs on profile, what's to stop someone hiding and joinin both sides...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Statement from the Leader of the TSR Labour Party
    The Labour Party has considered the topic of the referendum and resolved that any re-introduction of capital punishment would be an unnecessary and retrograde step. As such, the Labour Party has voted to formally endorse the No campaign in this referendum.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Let the latest waste of time in the name of recruitment begin

What happened to "we won't create new UGs becuase the site goes suuuuuupppppeeeerrrr slow with more UGs"?

And I'm with the others on the press
    My good sir, everything we do here is a waste of time. Every damn second of it, completely pointless.

The CT can't win though. If they don't give us usergroups, some will complain. If they give us usergroups many of those same people will still complain. Lets just be happy that the CT have been kind enough to give us the opportunity to run this properly
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Well yeh, I assume Rakas trusted him - couldn't remember the exact timeline so apologies.

04MR17 gonna release information into MHoC?

Also, now it's an option (I think?) to hide UGs on profile, what's to stop someone hiding and joinin both sides...
    My bot is still able to check, so I would recommend that if a person with hidden UGs applies to join your party you check them with me first. I'll edit the bot so you can check yourself at some point.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.