Turn on thread page Beta

How to seem sober when texting watch

ReputationRep:
    So I’m allowed out all night on Saturday by my normally strict parents ( I’m almost 18) on the conditions I don’t drink at all and I text them several times . However I plan on getting absolutely steaming and taking advantage of my night of freedom. How can I appear to be sober in my texts to them ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caea)
    So I’m allowed out all night on Saturday by my normally strict parents ( I’m almost 18) on the conditions I don’t drink at all and I text them several times . However I plan on getting absolutely steaming and taking advantage of my night of freedom. How can I appear to be sober in my texts to them ?
    Create some draft texts now whilst you are sober and just send them off when you are steaming.

Stuff like:

"Yes"
    "No"
    "Im fine"
    "Ill be home soon"

Gotto cover all bases.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? Text them several times?
    You should only need to text your parents to tell them you got there safe and when you are leaving.
    Do they actually expect you to be checking your phone? They went to some lame parties lol.
    So when you are absolutely bladdered on the getting home text, ask a more sober friend to text it for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caea)
    maybe pre-type some texts to your notes on your phone, and then copy and paste them in succession in your reply to your parents if they would fit/ work that way - depends on the context of the texts etc. have a pretence including how there isn't good signal so your receiving and sending texts late just is case you mess up. Or outright say that you wont have signal till later and have a reliable friend text on your behalf

- p.s: try not to get too "steaming" and look after yourself ~ depending on where you will be going and who your company is going to be (will there be a reliable friend there for you or will you be in a vulnerable environment?)
    ~ good luck!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Caea)

So youre 17

Maybe just dont get absolutely drunk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZombieTheWolf)
    Seriously? Text them several times?
    You should only need to text your parents to tell them you got there safe and when you are leaving.
    Do they actually expect you to be checking your phone? They went to some lame parties lol.
    So when you are absolutely bladdered on the getting home text, ask a more sober friend to text it for you.
    I know, they are ridiculously strict and religious - they’ve never been drunk in their lives and except me to be the exact same so this is to prove I’m not drinking . I would love to be able to open with them about my life but it’s not possible lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rowan.c)
    maybe pre-type some texts to your notes on your phone, and then copy and paste them in succession in your reply to your parents if they would fit/ work that way - depends on the context of the texts etc. have a pretence including how there isn't good signal so your receiving and sending texts late just is case you mess up. Or outright say that you wont have signal till later and have a reliable friend text on your behalf

- p.s: try not to get too "steaming" and look after yourself ~ depending on where you will be going and who your company is going to be (will there be a reliable friend there for you or will you be in a vulnerable environment?)
    ~ good luck!
    Thank you ! I’m going to a really good friends 18th and back to hers with my friends afterwards so should be good and safe ☺️

ReputationRep:
    They should have been educated on the fact that they only really need informed on when you've arrived and when you've got home safe/are heading home. Generally though if you can text with actual grammar and make sense while doing so then they won't assume anything too bad.

I wouldn't advise aiming to get "absolutely steaming" if you've never really drank before, particularly if you're going to something with a lot of people that actually do drink semi regularly. You will almost inevitably not have as high a tolerance as them and aiming to keep up alone will likely leave you in enough of a state to have had a good time. Trying to deliberately go nuts early on in your drinking career is a good way to make sure you pass out and not be entirely sure if you actually had a good night or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    They should have been educated on the fact that they only really need informed on when you've arrived and when you've got home safe/are heading home. Generally though if you can text with actual grammar and make sense while doing so then they won't assume anything too bad.

I wouldn't advise aiming to get "absolutely steaming" if you've never really drank before, particularly if you're going to something with a lot of people that actually do drink semi regularly. You will almost inevitably not have as high a tolerance as them and aiming to keep up alone will likely leave you in enough of a state to have had a good time. Trying to deliberately go nuts early on in your drinking career is a good way to make sure you pass out and not be entirely sure if you actually had a good night or not.
    I go to a lot of parties and drink at all of them I just always need to be relatively sober by midnight at my curfew . It’s not my first time drinking at all just my first time without this sober curfew
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Caea)
    I go to a lot of parties and drink at all of them I just always need to be relatively sober by midnight at my curfew . It’s not my first time drinking at all just my first time without this sober curfew
    Your parents must be total ****ing idiots if they don't know you've been drinking :rofl: Firstly, the amount of alcohol required to get drunk means that it typically takes several hours to even begin to sober up. Secondly, people that have been drinking ****ing stink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    Your parents must be total ****ing idiots if they don't know you've been drinking :rofl: Firstly, the amount of alcohol required to get drunk means that it typically takes several hours to even begin to sober up. Secondly, people that have been drinking ****ing stink.
    I must hide it well idk - they’re very innocent too

ReputationRep:
    get yo sober friends to reply

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.