Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I am in year 12 taking maths, chemistry, physics and music and I only realised that I wanted to do architecture around December; before this I really had no clue what I wanted to do at university.

I am now looking at university courses for architecture and I was thinking of applying for Bath as they don't have any specific subject requirements but they say "You also need a solid grounding in Art or Design, and we prefer applicants who have studied Art or Design as part of their entry qualifications. If you have been unable to study these we would look for evidence that you have substantial exposure to art and design thinking and its applications, for example through extra-curricular art work." The only artistic experience I have is a music GCSE.

Would having some sort of portfolio be a good idea? If so, what sort of things would you put in it, for example, I have photographs that I have taken of buildings when I've been on holiday but I don't know if they would suffice.

Any advice would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    A portfolio would be essential. If you have not done art, you said the only artistic experience you had was gcse music, rather than any experience in visual arts, then you will need to demonstrate that you have an aptitude. 50% of every validated course will be design. There is a lot more information here: https://www.architecture.com/educati...g-architecture My personal tip would be to find a taught life drawing class. If you learn to draw the human figure from life you can learn to draw anything!

ReputationRep:
    As SebastianMesser has made clear, you'll need a portfolio, and a brilliant starting point will indeed be a life drawing class, ideally several if you're inexperienced with drawing/anything visually artistic. From there, start sketching whenever you can. Concentrate on interesting buildings and spaces, whether around your home, street, school or wider local area. Once you're more confident with your sketching ability, consider trying to do some larger sustained drawings, and if you can, experiment with 3D work (they especially like to see this). Photography is also good to include, but it must be composed well, and can't make up the entirety of your portfolio.

Best of luck with your portfolio and applications

ReputationRep:
    SebastianMesser and Amanzhol thank you so much for the advice! I forgot to mention this before, but I am also doing the Silver Arts Award in school as an elective, do you think this would help my case?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sowmiyaaravin)
    SebastianMesser and Amanzhol thank you so much for the advice! I forgot to mention this before, but I am also doing the Silver Arts Award in school as an elective, do you think this would help my case?
    I'm afraid I don't know what the Silver Arts Award is, could explain what it involves? If it's visual arts and you can choose what to do for it, it sounds promising, but you'll probably need more than just that in your portfolio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanzhol)
    I'm afraid I don't know what the Silver Arts Award is, could explain what it involves? If it's visual arts and you can choose what to do for it, it sounds promising, but you'll probably need more than just that in your portfolio.
    It is a sort of project that you do where you choose any art form and for the first unit you have to complete a challenge and document it in a portfolio and for the second unit you have to run some sort of activity that involves you leading something in an art. Passing it is the equivalent of a GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    It is a sort of project that you do where you choose any art form and for the first unit you have to complete a challenge and document it in a portfolio and for the second unit you have to run some sort of activity that involves you leading something in an art. Passing it is the equivalent of a GCSE.
    I see, it would be best to call the universities you're thinking of to find out if they'd consider that as a suitable alternative to a conventional art/design qualification. What are you choosing to do for it? (It'd be a good idea to make it architectural).

ReputationRep:
    You would have to check when you were applying whether Arts Awards count towards UCAS points. I would think they should - like an Extended Project - but I have not checked.

It will certainly help with your Personal Statement, but my understanding of Arts Awards is that they about the cultural meaning of, and engaging with, arts - rather than actual arts production?

As Amanzhol suggests, use your portfolio to show your interest in architecture and the built environment. But... do not try to design a building! I know that sounds counter-intuitive but think about it this way: would you serve a soufflé to Gordon Ramsey because you have seen someone boil an egg? 😉

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SebastianMesser)
    A portfolio would be essential. If you have not done art, you said the only artistic experience you had was gcse music, rather than any experience in visual arts, then you will need to demonstrate that you have an aptitude. 50% of every validated course will be design. There is a lot more information here: https://www.architecture.com/educati...g-architecture My personal tip would be to find a taught life drawing class. If you learn to draw the human figure from life you can learn to draw anything!
    This.

Have you considered an art based EPQ?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    So I am in year 12 taking maths, chemistry, physics and music and I only realised that I wanted to do architecture around December; before this I really had no clue what I wanted to do at university.

I am now looking at university courses for architecture and I was thinking of applying for Bath as they don't have any specific subject requirements but they say "You also need a solid grounding in Art or Design, and we prefer applicants who have studied Art or Design as part of their entry qualifications. If you have been unable to study these we would look for evidence that you have substantial exposure to art and design thinking and its applications, for example through extra-curricular art work." The only artistic experience I have is a music GCSE.

Would having some sort of portfolio be a good idea? If so, what sort of things would you put in it, for example, I have photographs that I have taken of buildings when I've been on holiday but I don't know if they would suffice.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Hey sowmiyaaravin
    Here at Ravensbourne, we offer a free portfolio workshop at our open day. We also teach BA (Hons) Architecture, so it might help to come along and see how you can build a strong portfolio. Also, you can have the chance to speak to our staff members who are industry professionals and get an idea of what you need in a portfolio and see current students work. I hope this helpsAliya

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.