Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a mock exam in which they gave me the title for the story.
    There isn't a title but it is a recount of a time where you did something you regret. I would be very grateful if somebody could help me out.
    Thanks

EDIT: Thanks everyone i got a B; 34 out of 35 for the story, absolute crap for the reading but i didn't know any techniques

ReputationRep:
    sameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeee i have a mock

ReputationRep:
    I just
    (Original post by legobudgie)
    I have a mock exam in which they gave me the title for the story.
    There isn't a title but it is a recount of a time where you did something you regret. I would be very grateful if somebody could help me out.
    Thanks
    I have just had a mock last Monday which exam is it I did paper 2
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Ok, some tips for (most) creative writing exercises:

(1) have a structure. Exam Boards are not into PoMo, so always give them a beginning, a middle, and an end and they will go home happy.

(2) do not try and be "writerly". In other words, stop trying to throw all the adjectives and metaphors you know into a sentence, and just stick to the story you are trying to tell. Keep it simple. Keep it focused. And keep to the subject.

(3) pick a subject you know about. If you write about something that you know, that comes from the heart, it will resonate. It can be something really simple (the simpler the better) but you will need to genuinely feel regret, because trying to fake that on the page, will come across. Here's some topics off the top of my head: have you ever lied to someone with the best intentions only to regret it later? do you regret doing something like picking on a friend or a sibling because everyone else was doing it, and you didn't want to look the odd one out, and yet you knew it was egregiously wrong? have you lost a relative and regret not telling them what they meant to you?

(4) do not get tied up in knots about showing your vocabulary off. People who do this inevitably use words they've looked up in the dictionary in the wrong context.

(5) when you tell the story, use a good balance between showing and telling. Show us the events that happened, and tell us how you felt. So, a balance between action and reflecting on the action.

(6) Know how to punctuate and how direct speech works

(7) have a good opening and a good ending. A good opening should be a hook that makes us want to read on. Which of these do you like better:

"A time that I regret in my life is when I was left alone to babysit my sister and we got into a fight and she split her head open."
    OR
    "I always hated my sister. Until last summer, when she started hating me."

The second one, right? because you want to know why she started hating you, what changed, what happened next. The first one just tells me the whole story upfront.

(8) structure - pace what you tell us and when. first part of the story should introduce the characters, the setting, the scene. Next part, something happens - and exciting incident. Then we have the fall out from that incident. Then the ending. How we felt, and what we feel now.

Good luck. Remember the best writing is the simplest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiyoS)
    Ok, some tips for (most) creative writing exercises:

(1) have a structure. Exam Boards are not into PoMo, so always give them a beginning, a middle, and an end and they will go home happy.

(2) do not try and be "writerly". In other words, stop trying to throw all the adjectives and metaphors you know into a sentence, and just stick to the story you are trying to tell. Keep it simple. Keep it focused. And keep to the subject.

(3) pick a subject you know about. If you write about something that you know, that comes from the heart, it will resonate. It can be something really simple (the simpler the better) but you will need to genuinely feel regret, because trying to fake that on the page, will come across. Here's some topics off the top of my head: have you ever lied to someone with the best intentions only to regret it later? do you regret doing something like picking on a friend or a sibling because everyone else was doing it, and you didn't want to look the odd one out, and yet you knew it was egregiously wrong? have you lost a relative and regret not telling them what they meant to you?

(4) do not get tied up in knots about showing your vocabulary off. People who do this inevitably use words they've looked up in the dictionary in the wrong context.

(5) when you tell the story, use a good balance between showing and telling. Show us the events that happened, and tell us how you felt. So, a balance between action and reflecting on the action.

(6) Know how to punctuate and how direct speech works

(7) have a good opening and a good ending. A good opening should be a hook that makes us want to read on. Which of these do you like better:

"A time that I regret in my life is when I was left alone to babysit my sister and we got into a fight and she split her head open."
    OR
    "I always hated my sister. Until last summer, when she started hating me."

The second one, right? because you want to know why she started hating you, what changed, what happened next. The first one just tells me the whole story upfront.

(8) structure - pace what you tell us and when. first part of the story should introduce the characters, the setting, the scene. Next part, something happens - and exciting incident. Then we have the fall out from that incident. Then the ending. How we felt, and what we feel now.

Good luck. Remember the best writing is the simplest.
    Thanks a lot mate it really helped me

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 30, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.