Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    so I started this year (year 12) off hoping to study Computing at university, my choice of a levels were Computing, Maths, Physics.

However since around December time I've really developed a disliking to computing (probably because of how crap my teacher is) and my initial interest of medicine has resparked and over the past few months I've grown more and more into medicine. The problem is I need Chemistry/Biology to do pretty much anything relating to medicine, so I need to decide if I want to re-do year 12 with those subjects.

The thing is I have a love/interest for how the body works, how diseases impact the body and just learning overall about the human body in depth (immune system, cell function, genes etc) and thought of doing a medicine degree, however after reading about what being a doctor is really like (the stress of the job, having hardly any social/free time, working overtime regularly, constantly being tired because of a hectic schedule) it's really put me off doing medicine, I don't think I can manage it personally and don't think going through a medicine degree (which I think I'd love) and then regretting it when I do my FYs is worth the trouble

I've also looked at Biochemistry and Biomedical science which also look appealing to me, however I've heard they're known as degree which "failed" doctors do and there aren't many job opportunities with those degrees. Plus I heard a lot of people who do them go on to do Post graduate medicine degrees. The degree content for Biomedical science does look interesting, and is kinda the thing im wanting.

i know I'm quite stupid, I for some reason change my mind really easily and find it hard to decide what the hell to do. i need to decide whether to restart the year at a different school or just ride it on, hoping when the time comes I'll just force myself to like computer science. near the start of the year I dropped my 4th subject which was biology because it was least related to what I wanted to do at uni, which just shows how stupid I can be when it comes to making rash decisions so I don't want a repeat of that.

I'm torn between what to do now and feel embarrassed that I've come to this stage, not knowing what I want to do with my life when a lot of my peers have decided what they want to do. I don't think I was well prepared at secondary school and feel i was just tossed into sixth form with teachers wanting everyone to be dead set on what they want to do at uni.

So I guess what I'm looking for is just advice. What kind of things can I do with a Biomedical science degree, is it worth doing in terms of career opportunities available or not? What kind of things jobs can I even do with a Biomedical degree? Should I even pursue a degree in the medical field or just ride out the rest of sixth form (and probably inevitably regret not retaking and choosing chemistry/bio). Would unis dislike the fact I retook year 12 and be less likely to accept me because of that?

PS: The computer science department at my current sixth form is absolutely terrible. even last year the only grades were A and C, most people got a C. I thought I'd enjoy computer science but the class is complete crap, I don't think I'll manage to get anything over an E, which is why I'm more in favour of restarting
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by AC1T2)
    First off, restarting is not going to achieve anything unless you do different subjects. If you finish each subject in 2 years then unis are not going to question it. If you aren't dedicated to medicine then it isn't for you. Lots of biomed students want to do medicine but that doesn't mean all do. Without scientists there wouldn't be a cutting edge knowledge of disease, drugs or information about test results. The problem with biomed students is that they expect jobs to land in their laps after graduation and don't realise that it takes years more of study and work experience. I would suggest getting some before making up your mind about what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    First off, restarting is not going to achieve anything unless you do different subjects. If you finish each subject in 2 years then unis are not going to question it. If you aren't dedicated to medicine then it isn't for you. Lots of biomed students want to do medicine but that doesn't mean all do. Without scientists there wouldn't be a cutting edge knowledge of disease, drugs or information about test results. The problem with biomed students is that they expect jobs to land in their laps after graduation and don't realise that it takes years more of study and work experience. I would suggest getting some before making up your mind about what you want to do.
    I do love medicine, but doing a medicine degree would mean becoming a doctor which I don't think I could handle hence why I'm look at alternative medical fields that aren't anywhere near as stressful as being a doctor. And if I wanted to do biology/chemistry how would I go about doing that? or is that not possible now?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by AC1T2)
    I do love medicine, but doing a medicine degree would mean becoming a doctor which I don't think I could handle hence why I'm look at alternative medical fields that aren't anywhere near as stressful as being a doctor. And if I wanted to do biology/chemistry how would I go about doing that? or is that not possible now?
    Well if you don't want to be a doctor how do you think you love medicine? Studying medicine is about training to be a doctor! Anyway, you need to talk to your college or go private if you want to do biology/chemistry at this stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Well if you don't want to be a doctor how do you think you love medicine? Studying medicine is about training to be a doctor! Anyway, you need to talk to your college or go private if you want to do biology/chemistry at this stage.
    maybe saying I love medicine is misleading. what I mean is I'm interested in the functioning of the body and would love to learn about it more in depth, it doesn't mean I want to become a doctor. I wouldn't mind being a doctor it's just that the stress of the job is something that I, realistically, don't think I could handle

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.