Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How am I too add in context into my English Lit Essays? - specifically Frankenstein, Never Let Me Go and A Streetcar Named Desire?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am currently doing A level lit x We have been advised for AO3 (context) that 'bolting' your context into your essays will not necessarily get you the best marks. Do some research into events and the social context for each of your texts, so for Streetcar, look into New Orleans, America in 1947, perhaps look at women in society, homosexuality (criminalised at this point so will be crucial for Allan Grey), the Civil Rights Movement, class divisions so the 'Southern Belle' and the 'Old South' (where Blanche lost Belle Reve). There are lots of sites online to find information/contexts that you can use. When you have some ideas about context, use it to help inform your answer/point/argument instead of just throwing it in the essay because you need to. So for Streetcar (sorry again lol I'm also doing this) when looking at Blanche and all the light imagery to do with deception, illusion and reality, 'paper lantern', and Williams showing Blanche to want to hide her age/appearance etc. you could link this to attitudes towards expectations of women at this time - how Blanche, coming from the 'Old South' 'Southern Belle' ideals of being genteel and looking a certain way impact upon her actions/behaviours and thoughts. Hope this is useful! Context is a tricky one...

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    That’s really helped thank you!
    That’s great!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It is important to note that not every one needs context. The easy way of finding out which ones need context is that if the question has a SPaG mark, no context is needed.
    Context is what was happening around the time that the book is set in. When making a point that you know some context that might have led to the reason why the line was said in that way, simply put a follow up sentence talking about the context you know.

ReputationRep:
    This has made it clearer. I will start to do this around each book!
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Have a read around the period that Frankenstein was written, perhaps consider the works of some notable natural philosophers such as Faraday.

ReputationRep:
    I will do this to help! Thank you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 12, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.