megantinsley12
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How am I too add in context into my English Lit Essays? - specifically Frankenstein, Never Let Me Go and A Streetcar Named Desire?
CheekyAlice
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Hi! I am currently doing A level lit x We have been advised for AO3 (context) that 'bolting' your context into your essays will not necessarily get you the best marks. Do some research into events and the social context for each of your texts, so for Streetcar, look into New Orleans, America in 1947, perhaps look at women in society, homosexuality (criminalised at this point so will be crucial for Allan Grey), the Civil Rights Movement, class divisions so the 'Southern Belle' and the 'Old South' (where Blanche lost Belle Reve). There are lots of sites online to find information/contexts that you can use. When you have some ideas about context, use it to help inform your answer/point/argument instead of just throwing it in the essay because you need to. So for Streetcar (sorry again lol I'm also doing this) when looking at Blanche and all the light imagery to do with deception, illusion and reality, 'paper lantern', and Williams showing Blanche to want to hide her age/appearance etc. you could link this to attitudes towards expectations of women at this time - how Blanche, coming from the 'Old South' 'Southern Belle' ideals of being genteel and looking a certain way impact upon her actions/behaviours and thoughts. Hope this is useful! Context is a tricky one...
megantinsley12
Rep:
Hi.
That’s really helped thank you!
That’s great!
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
It is important to note that not every one needs context. The easy way of finding out which ones need context is that if the question has a SPaG mark, no context is needed.
Context is what was happening around the time that the book is set in. When making a point that you know some context that might have led to the reason why the line was said in that way, simply put a follow up sentence talking about the context you know.
megantinsley12
Rep:
This has made it clearer. I will start to do this around each book!
Thank you!
username3456172
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Have a read around the period that Frankenstein was written, perhaps consider the works of some notable natural philosophers such as Faraday.
megantinsley12
Rep:
I will do this to help! Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (6)
8%
Okay (25)
33.33%
A bit lacking (21)
28%
Not good at all (23)
30.67%

Watched Threads