Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Earlier on, I spoke to my mother about buying a new phone instead of getting another one on contract and I think this was the final straw. She had a kind of mental breakdown, running round impulsively shouting at me about how I'm spoiled and how we never have any money, how she has to work every day to give me so much, how lazy I am, how awkward everything is for her and so on. Of course, these are valid complaints but she started throwing my clothes at me saying "you can fold them up yourself", turning the heating off and shutting the windows, throwing the food we were eating in the bin and I don't know what to do.

I thought it would pass after half an hour or so, but even half an hour later she seemed even angrier, saying she'd raised a monster. This all makes me sound so evil, but I've always tried to be understanding and would never have asked for anything in the first place if she'd just told me how she felt. I've always been hardworking and I've never been disrespectful, so is it me or is it money or is it a bad day at work or what? Should I even try to talk to her when she's this angry and what should I say? It's all pretty scary and I'm worried she's turned a page and won't go back to how she normally is, happy and content and cheerful, never talking about things like money. Maybe this isn't the right place to talk about things like this but I feel like I need advice
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by infinis)
    Earlier on, I spoke to my mother about buying a new phone instead of getting another one on contract and I think this was the final straw. She had a kind of mental breakdown, running round impulsively shouting at me about how I'm spoiled and how we never have any money, how she has to work every day to give me so much, how lazy I am, how awkward everything is for her and so on. Of course, these are valid complaints but she started throwing my clothes at me saying "you can fold them up yourself", turning the heating off and shutting the windows, throwing the food we were eating in the bin and I don't know what to do.

I thought it would pass after half an hour or so, but even half an hour later she seemed even angrier, saying she'd raised a monster. This all makes me sound so evil, but I've always tried to be understanding and would never have asked for anything in the first place if she'd just told me how she felt. I've always been hardworking and I've never been disrespectful, so is it me or is it money or is it a bad day at work or what? Should I even try to talk to her when she's this angry and what should I say? It's all pretty scary and I'm worried she's turned a page and won't go back to how she normally is, happy and content and cheerful, never talking about things like money. Maybe this isn't the right place to talk about things like this but I feel like I need advice
    Is your dad around or older sibling?

Sleep in it and apologise in the morning. Say you didnt realise she was under so much stress and you arent a monster. Sort out and save up for your own phone. Hope you made a fuss of her on Mothers day?

There may be stuff , especially money and personal things that your mum protects you from that you dont know about.

See how she is tomorrow, cook her dinner and run her a bath plus get her some flowers.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.