Turn on thread page Beta

Southerners vs Northerners? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is there really much of a difference?

I don’t think there is, other than northerners are a lot more nicer and down-to-earth than southerners.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by anonymousxo98)
    Is there really much of a difference?

I don’t think there is, other than northerners are a lot more nicer and down-to-earth than southerners.
    Other than the fact that southerners are more pleasant to hear then not really, no.

ReputationRep:
    Northern - either really nice or really racist, a great Friday night is a swapping a flavourless chicken dinner with an Indian takeaway on the sofa.

Southern - act more entitled but more likely to have a good time, must have LDN in their insta bio, a great Friday night is paying £5.60 for a beer in Shoreditch because it’s ‘trendy’.

ReputationRep:
    I used to wonder about this but now I know that I can have good craic and proper bevs with anyone and I don't care.

ReputationRep:
    southerners have better accents

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yungaheartz)

Most southerners just laugh && mock my accent. Their accents are very nice to listen to tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BusMan21)
    Northern - either really nice or really racist, a great Friday night is a swapping a flavourless chicken dinner with an Indian takeaway on the sofa.

Southern - act more entitled but more likely to have a good time, must have LDN in their insta bio, a great Friday night is paying £5.60 for a beer in Shoreditch because it’s ‘trendy’.
    10/10 agree w//this. However I have “ Yorkshire.” In my bio ‘cos I feel I’m on the same level as Londoners😂

ReputationRep:
    Excluding the South West, which is actually an interesting place, aside from Jafaican it's the same accent wherever you go past Coventry. It's one big characterless mush.

I'm not a northerner or a southerner but I prefer northerners. More open minded.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I think the south certainly has its merits but there are massive benefits to the north too... everything is cheaper and people are generally friendlier. But... I sort of prefer the pushy rudeness of my fellow Londoners? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    North London- a place to live
    South London- a place to exist in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Excluding the South West, which is actually an interesting place, aside from Jafaican it's the same accent wherever you go past Coventry. It's one big characterless mush.

I'm not a northerner or a southerner but I prefer northerners. More open minded.
    Maybe it sounds different to us because we’re more “ informal.” But yeah, I prefer northerners too😬
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Northerners just talk funny.

ReputationRep:
    Essex begs to differ...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Northerners just talk funny.

At least we’re providing some jokes🤙🏽🤙🏽 But.. our accents are a tad bit weird

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Essex begs to differ...

😂😂😂😂😂
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Essex begs to differ...
    I have relatives in Essex. One claims I sound posh and that people from Bristol sound like farmers.

ReputationRep:
    I have always thought the Southern accent was quite "chavvy" yet posh; like the accent is really posh but the words they say....

i mean unless you speak road. Like up here North, the most "road" you will get is the typical "man" "peng" "blud" "madness". Its generally easy to understand but when I go London to visit my cousins, **** me his mates sound like their speaking another language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    I have always thought the Southern accent was quite "chavvy" yet posh; like the accent is really posh but the words they say....

i mean unless you speak road. Like up here North, the most "road" you will get is the typical "man" "peng" "blud" "madness". Its generally easy to understand but when I go London to visit my cousins, **** me his mates sound like their speaking another language.
    See, I think like where I’m from in north, we tend to sound chavvy.

And regarding slang, we kinda get it from down south don’t we..? But yet again,South is advanced with their slang compared to us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymousxo98)
    See, I think like where I’m from in north, we tend to sound chavvy.

And regarding slang, we kinda get it from down south don’t we..? But yet again,South is advanced with their slang compared to us.
    Slang where i’m from is totally different to down south from what I can tell, saying “peng” would not go down well... :laugh:

I wouldn’t say we get it from down south, either we’re making our own up or it’s from Scotland. I’m very north though.

ReputationRep:
    Southern are flatter, northern have some oomph. Southern sounds posher in areas whilst northern sounds kind on mumsy/farmery.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.