Turn on thread page Beta

Southerners vs Northerners? watch

ReputationRep:
    northerners hands down
    we have all the best banter and are much nicer
    I find southerners so dull and sensitive, cant even crack a decent joke with them cos I'm afraid they'll get offended!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    There is no difference besides the accent(s). There's radgers on both ends, poverty on both ends, poshies on both ends, immigrants on both ends, party life on both ends, boredom on both ends. People who keep asking simply don't know their own bleeding country. What people also don't get is that the South is much...much more than London.

And the reason why the South overall might see more industry is because of its geographic location, not because of personal difference to Northerners.

Midlanders and Nottingham howevers are a mix of the two North/South stereotypes. Like the accent honestly seems to be subconscious confusion with which identity to choose from: the North, or the South, or their home country. Because being in the middle of the country you get one or the other, randomly. The ones who are proud to be English/British and embrace their kinship with the North, stereotypes and all, and the ones who kid themselves and act posh and wanna move.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymousxo98)
    Is there really much of a difference?

I don’t think there is, other than northerners are a lot more nicer and down-to-earth than southerners.
    Yeah like so I was visiting our Barbra the other day yeah and she told me about tings yeh. So you know coz like man's butters in it, so Northerners are like the best in it cuz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Essex begs to differ...
    Oi oi. Dw our Barbra is on the case.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Scousers rule the accent war.:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xrhiannon___xo)
    I’m very extremely southern and I would burrow in a pit of self hatred if I said meeeeeegraie, isyou or sloooaaaath. Nope, I say mYgraine, ishhuuue and slOthh. I just sound less like I’m on coronation street and kind of like Jac Naylor off casualty. That is a proper southern accent.
    Please don’t do this.

Jac Nayor is mainly on holby not casualty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    Birmingham and Scouse are the worst accents in the UK
    Use to hate the Scouse accent, until I met this super attractive and hilarious Scouse guy and now I love the accent!

On the other end of the spectrum, there was a really annoying guy at my work who I despise, even hearing him talk made me want to punch him. He was Brummy and now that accent is nails on a chalk board to me.

ReputationRep:
    People say to me all the time that I talk too nice for a Scouser, but it's just how South Liverpool people of my age talk (minus the meffs from Speke). Mad how the accent regresses the further out from town you get.

ReputationRep:
    Use to hate the Scouse accent, until I met this super attractive and hilarious Scouse guy and now I love the accent!

On the other end of the spectrum, there was a really annoying guy at my work who I despise, even hearing him talk made me want to punch him. He was Brummy and now that accent is nails on a chalk board to me.
    Haha makes sense, when the person is attractive some pet peeves go away :lol:
    but I could never be more than friends with a Brummie, I would end up putting duck tape over their mouth :lol: could end up being a fetish :rofl:

real question is did you ever get to punch him :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    People say to me all the time that I talk too nice for a Scouser, but it's just how South Liverpool people of my age talk (minus the meffs from Speke). Mad how the accent regresses the further out from town you get.
    You're probably a bit "posh" compared to the archetypal Scouser, given your education etc; must contribute something.

People from my home town think I sound slightly Southern because I spent the last 3 years mixing with Londoners. I had one bloke in a pub get quite irate because I told him I was from my home-town and he wouldn't have it. Conversely to a Southerner, though my accent has softened considerably, I still sound like a right rough Northerner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    You're probably a bit "posh" compared to the archetypal Scouser, given your education etc; must contribute something.

People from my home town think I sound slightly Southern because I spent the last 3 years mixing with Londoners. I had one bloke in a pub get quite irate because I told him I was from my home-town and he wouldn't have it. Conversely to a Southerner, though my accent has softened considerably, I still sound like a right rough Northerner.
    Yeah, so I'm told, but you'd not think that if you met me and the rest of the family like :laugh: Common as ****, I mean I went from skivvying on a chemical plant down the docks to this, so it's quite the change :laugh:

It's weird cos within academia, I am definitely a prole, and there are people that like to remind me of that at any available opportunity. yet the lads I sup with and even play in bands with think that cos of the level of education, I must suddenly be 'posh' haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    Haha makes sense, when the person is attractive some pet peeves go away :lol:
    but I could never be more than friends with a Brummie, I would end up putting duck tape over their mouth :lol: could end up being a fetish :rofl:

real question is did you ever get to punch him :teeth:
    Unfortunately not, his desk was next to mine so I had to hear that accent monday-friday. If the government ever need information out of me they just need to send him in to interview me, i’d crack in a second. The day he left for another job was one of the happiest of my life :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Southern women are what we call practice girls.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, so I'm told, but you'd not think that if you met me and the rest of the family like :laugh: Common as ****, I mean I went from skivvying on a chemical plant down the docks to this, so it's quite the change :laugh:

It's weird cos within academia, I am definitely a prole, and there are people that like to remind me of that at any available opportunity. yet the lads I sup with and even play in bands with think that cos of the level of education, I must suddenly be 'posh' haha.
    Just give it some time. With the reading Sanskrit and meeting with Oxford Dons, you'll be speaking RP and drinking tea with your pinky out in no time. I imagine it's a selling point of your uni to showcase that it is actually in Liverpool and not Surrey and actually has Liverpulphonic academics. Plus it's cute hearing a Scouser use polysyllabic words; somewhat like hearing William Hague talk about anything other than pasties or women talk about working in a FTSE 100 company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    Plus it's cute hearing a Scouser use polysyllabic words; somewhat like hearing William Hague talk about anything other than pasties or women talk about working in a FTSE 100 company.
    Pahaha. That ****.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately not, his desk was next to mine so I had to hear that accent monday-friday. If the government ever need information out of me they just need to send him in to interview me, i’d crack in a second. The day he left for another job was one of the happiest of my life :laugh:
    omg can imagine the pain!

calls all the Brum people to speak to you :rofl:

I try to avoid speaking to my Brum friends in person they tend to get more texts than face to face interactions
    if my brum friends want to take me to birmingham I would come up with the best excuse ever!! :smug:
    haha deffo would be :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I ****ing love Birmingham and don't find the accent half as bad as its reputation.

I just had to throw that in.

ReputationRep:
    I ****ing love Birmingham and don't find the accent half as bad as its reputation.

I just had to throw that in.
    It's not bad. Think it's a bandwagon. Like how people used to joke about Skodas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymousxo98)
    Is there really much of a difference?

I don’t think there is, other than northerners are a lot more nicer and down-to-earth than southerners.
    I'd say there's quite a few differences.

Accents (as has already been said), but then things like education, health, economic growth, history, life expectancy, political leanings, jobs and earnings.

All these things differ between North and South. Though there's always areas that are exceptions to the rule, of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evian_12)
    I'd say there's quite a few differences.

Accents (as has already been said), but then things like education, health, economic growth, history, life expectancy, political leanings, jobs and earnings.

All these things differ between North and South. Though there's always areas that are exceptions to the rule, of course.

South has always been better for nearly every factor which you’ve mentioned!🙃🙃

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.