Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I dropped out of SOAS at the end of 2016 for personal reason, spent the year fixing my mistakes and now working to sustain myself. I want to apply to university again now that im determined and ive left my dark stuff in the past. I want to know if its still possible to get a grant, and if its still possible to get a maintenance fee too. I was in university for one term before dropping out. I am thinking of starting with access programme, but im not too sure what the acceptance rates are for them. If anyone has any advice id love some help, just want to get myself back on track.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ilikejamandtoast)
    I dropped out of SOAS at the end of 2016 for personal reason, spent the year fixing my mistakes and now working to sustain myself. I want to apply to university again now that im determined and ive left my dark stuff in the past. I want to know if its still possible to get a grant, and if its still possible to get a maintenance fee too. I was in university for one term before dropping out. I am thinking of starting with access programme, but im not too sure what the acceptance rates are for them. If anyone has any advice id love some help, just want to get myself back on track.
    Hi ilikejamandtoast,

What course are you going to be studying?
    What college or University are you going to?
    How long will the course last?
    How many years previous study do you have?

Thanks

Catherine

ReputationRep:
    Hi catherine,

I am planning on studying a 3 year sustainable development course at university of Edinburgh . I had one term of previous study at SOAS, so less than a year but i believe that student finance still counts this as one year. I have spent one year in a rutt, very depressed and unemployed as I was fixing my mental health and I am 19 now trying to figure out how to restart uni again. I want to apply before the deadline and also want to know if i would be eligible for maintenance loans. thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catherine SFE)
    Hi ilikejamandtoast,

What course are you going to be studying?
    What college or University are you going to?
    How long will the course last?
    How many years previous study do you have?

Thanks

Catherine
    Hi catherine,

I am planning on studying a 3 year sustainable development course at university of Edinburgh . I had one term of previous study at SOAS, so less than a year but i believe that student finance still counts this as one year. I have spent one year in a rutt, very depressed and unemployed as I was fixing my mental health and I am 19 now trying to figure out how to restart uni again. I want to apply before the deadline and also want to know if i would be eligible for maintenance loans. thank you
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ilikejamandtoast)
    Hi catherine,

Hi Ilikejamandtoast,

When calculating your student finance, we take the length of the course, plus 1 additional year, minus any previous study.

For example, to study a 3 year degree, it would look like this:

3+1-1= 3 years of funding. So you could apply for full Student Finance for the course.

If you're planning on doing an access course first, this wouldn't be funded by SFE, however, you can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan. Here is a good overview of what you can receive and the eligibility criteria.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.