Equilibria Kc question

Watch this thread
jacky33041
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Ethanoic acid reacts with ethanol in a reversible reaction represented by the equation below.
In an experiment 3.0 mol of ethanoic acid were mixed with 1.0 mol of ethanol and when the reaction had reached equilibrium 0.9 mol of water had been formed.

CH3COOH(l) + C2H5OH(l) <--> CH3COOC2H5(l) + H2O(l)

The percentage of ethanoic acid converted into the ester CH3COOC2H5 in this reaction is

A 22.5%

B 30%

C 43%

D 90%

Can someone send a worked solution to get the answer B? I'm getting C each time.
ChemistryWebsite
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Tell you what, show your worked answer that gives C.
Federerr
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(0.9/3)*100 = 30%
jacky33041
Rep:
Won't let me upload to TSR
jacky33041
Rep:
Won't let me upload to TSR. I've posted the link to my solution, but it's getting approved first...
jacky33041
Rep:
(Original post by TutorsChemistry)
Tell you what, show your worked answer that gives C.
Put the link together all as one,
i.imgur
.com/
ChemistryWebsite
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jacky33041)
Put the link together all as one,
i.imgur
.com/
BO1z0Dz.jpg

The problem is that you are dividing by 2.1, the equilibrium quantity of ethanoic acid.
The question asks how much has been converted, so you must divide by the initial quantity - divide by 3 rather than 2.1.
jacky33041
Rep:
Thank you.
siobhaindoyle
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
In order to solve this, you need to make an ICE table, im not sure if you've heard of that before. So basically you need to find the equilibrium moles for all of the molecules. since you know that 0.9 of water is formed, the change is 0.9 for all as its a 1:1:1:1 ratio. From this you can find that there has been 0.9 of the ester made hence you just do a percentage calculation of 0.9 / 3.0 after to get 43%
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed