Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Terrible results, one place above relegation zone.

ReputationRep:
    Not surprising. They are too good to go down, if they get a decent manager in, no need to do anything radical and they will stay up.

They need to slow down with the sales and managerial replacements, its not sustainable.

ReputationRep:
    Should get Silva.

Shouldn’t have sacked Puel. I know his 8th place position is misleading.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Deserved. That Southampton squad should be nowhere near the relegation zone, it's a disgrace that they are down there.

That's now 9 managers sacked this season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.G.)
    Should get Silva.

Shouldn’t have sacked Puel. I know his 8th place position is misleading.
    Puel's Southampton veered between alright and rubbish when I saw them, his sacking was fair at the time. Just because his replacement was a failure doesn' change that.

This sacking is at least 2 months too late. Left any potential new manager very little time to get a talented squad firing again.

ReputationRep:
    Strange time unless someone is lined up. They are only two wins away from the FA Cup final and given how some of the other teams are doing, I expect them to stay up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Puel's Southampton veered between alright and rubbish when I saw them, his sacking was fair at the time. Just because his replacement was a failure doesn' change that.

This sacking is at least 2 months too late. Left any potential new manager very little time to get a talented squad firing again.
    On league form exclusively maybe, but he also took them to the League Cup final. I thought it was harsh.

Didn't realise Pulis was manager of Middlesborough now. Surely Marco Silva. Had a mini-revival with Hull last season albeit still relegated.

ReputationRep:
    Hope they go down, sacking Puel was disgraceful

ReputationRep:
    They've been on a steady downward spiral since Koeman left really. Sold a lot of talent since then and their signings have largely flopped.

Silva is a good move for both parties and makes sense. Hope they stay up they're a good club.

ReputationRep:
    With the way the relegation battle is with teams' forms fluctuating and a few wins/losses taking them either way, not so sure a sacking earlier would have changed much considering their profligacy in front of goal. It was a similiar set-up with Puel, but he was sacked as a scapegoat rather than an underlying issue with the recruitment of players. They haven't resolved that in the summer or January (spent £18m on a Monaco striker but not up to the quality they need, Austin was injured and came back before getting injured again).

Hughes is the front-runner for the job and he's a different profile to the type of manager they normally hire (Pochettino, Koeman, Pellegrino, Puel) but he should conjure up points to keep them safe if he can get Austin fit or come up with a tactical strategy so they show more attacking prowess. A challenge for Hughes as he's normally a chequebook manager, so he will have to work with younger players and get the best out of them.

ReputationRep:
    Hughes as the frontrunner has to be a joke right?

Stoke were crap under him for a significant amount of time. Gotta put it down to the British Manager Merry-go Round I spose.

ReputationRep:
    So late in the sacking and they haven’t managed to sort out a better option. I understand the not going behind the managers back but I don’t think looking at options is the same thing.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I thought Pellegrino was the bottled water you get in Pizza Express

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you make of Hughes record I really don't think him and Southampton are a good match. Smacks of desperation and looking for the classic "safe pair of hands."

Managerial merry go round had been insane this year. Only guys left standing outside the top 6 are at the 3 promoted sides and Burnley. Oh and Eddie Howe

ReputationRep:
    The managerial merry-go-round is near on impossible to get off. You can fail all you want and they still want you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 16, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.