Turn on thread page Beta

How difficult is A level Maths? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I'm not really a big fan of maths, I don't dislike the subject but I do have my ups and downs with it. Knowing that a lot of job are available in the STEM sector. They mostly require maths.

My question is how difficult is the subject and will I be able to cope, with my grade at GCSE? I'm currently in set 2, targeted a 7 but got a 4 in the recent mocks. (honestly I didn't revise for the test and currently working to bump that grade up to a 6 in the upcoming mock)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I got an A* comfortably at GCSE in maths but I find A level Maths extremely difficult at A Level, especially the second year right now. If you're aiming for an A, I'd definitely say you'd have to be the brightest of the bunch with natural maths skills or someone who is willing to put countless hours into repetitive questions. If you end up getting a B at GCSE, from what I've seen, those people are unlikely to be getting an A at A level. The step up to A level Maths is big but can be handled if you keep on top of your work and always putting in the effort.

ReputationRep:
    Ngl I cruised through gcse maths but a level is DEFINITELY a big step up. But Ngl as long as you keep on top of it you could manage it. It's also sooo dependent on what applied modules you take so be careful with that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Innes_00)
    Ngl I cruised through gcse maths but a level is DEFINITELY a big step up. But Ngl as long as you keep on top of it you could manage it. It's also sooo dependent on what applied modules you take so be careful with that
    What type of modules are there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rehman00)
    I got an A* comfortably at GCSE in maths but I find A level Maths extremely difficult at A Level, especially the second year right now. If you're aiming for an A, I'd definitely say you'd have to be the brightest of the bunch with natural maths skills or someone who is willing to put countless hours into repetitive questions. If you end up getting a B at GCSE, from what I've seen, those people are unlikely to be getting an A at A level. The step up to A level Maths is big but can be handled if you keep on top of your work and always putting in the effort.
    I'm with you.
    I got an a* at GCSE and this second year is awful.
    1st wasn't too bad, but the level if trig in yr 2 kills me.

ReputationRep:
    So you'll do the core modules: C1,C2,C3,C4 and then you either choose 2 mechanics modules: M1 and M2 or 2 statistics modules: S1 and S2. Basically if you're good a physics then take mechanics ( i found it fairly tough even though I'm applying to do physics at uni) statistics is much easier so you're more likely to do better in that I'd say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Robot)
    What type of modules are there?
    I'm old spec. from what I understand the new linear spec is c1 to c4 with bits if stats 1 and 2 and mechanics 1 and 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuthieG101)
    I'm with you.
    I got an a* at GCSE and this second year is awful.
    1st wasn't too bad, but the level if trig in yr 2 kills me.
    How many times would study the topic in year 1? Would you practice once or twice a week or like everyday?

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm probably the very few who actually preferred A Level Maths to GCSE Maths The best part about it is because the content is the same every year, you can pretty much self-teach yourself the subject. The main thing they can change is the way they phrase a question..other than that the method is always pretty much the same! Also, as long as you do every single past paper and know the methods, an A is definitely achievable Of course there definitely is a lot of content which takes a lot of getting used to and is much more difficult, but with practice it really does become second nature! I personally got an A at GCSE and an A at A-Level too (Edexcel though, not too sure about how other boards are)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Tbh I'm not really a big fan of maths, I don't dislike the subject but I do have my ups and downs with it. Knowing that a lot of job are available in the STEM sector. They mostly require maths.

My question is how difficult is the subject and will I be able to cope, with my grade at GCSE? I'm currently in set 2, targeted a 7 but got a 4 in the recent mocks. (honestly I didn't revise for the test and currently working to bump that grade up to a 6 in the upcoming mock)
    Not too difficult to get an A in A-Level Maths. The A* is obviously much harder.

ReputationRep:
    A level maths is not too difficult provided you put in enough work, a lot of it may seem difficult at first, but once you look back at it when you begin to revise it is way easier to do.

ReputationRep:
    New spec is actually quite hard. You have to do core maths, statistics and mechanics (which is very similar to physics). I passed GCSE without revising but A levels is definitely a big step and you have to stay on top of things.

ReputationRep:
    How many times would study the topic in year 1? Would you practice once or twice a week or like everyday?
    as in trig, it's only in c2.

I'm a private candidate, only doing maths so I work at my own speed so I don't know how school/college structure it.
    the new linear spec runs in an order (I believe) so one lesson will lead from another. I would assume that the level of trig in year one would be similar.

if you go on YouTube, jack brown has the new spec as lessons and the new spec on his website. you could look at that to gauge if it's above your level.

the good thing about maths is you get out what you put in. anyone can learn maths if you put the effort in.

ReputationRep:
    In my class we spend about a week or two max learning a topic and we dont have time to go back to re learn anything.

ReputationRep:
    I cruised through GCSE Maths and got an A* but the step up to a level is unbelievable.. I’m in the second year now, year 1 was kind of manageable but loads of people in my class dropped it after the first year because they all got Us. It’s pretty much the bane of my life at the moment even though I’m predicted an A (but that is NOT happening😂) Even if you’ve learnt all the methods, how they’re delivered in exams is very different to how they’re presented in class.. (HOWEVER you should probably take into account that my teacher is horrendous and can’t do it herself anyway.. so that probably has a big impact😅)
    Good luck whatever you decide to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuthieG101)
    as in trig, it's only in c2.

I'm a private candidate, only doing maths so I work at my own speed so I don't know how school/college structure it.
    the new linear spec runs in an order (I believe) so one lesson will lead from another. I would assume that the level of trig in year one would be similar.

if you go on YouTube, jack brown has the new spec as lessons and the new spec on his website. you could look at that to gauge if it's above your level.

the good thing about maths is you get out what you put in. anyone can learn maths if you put the effort in.
    Trig is in C3 and C4 as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radioactivedecay)
    Trig is in C3 and C4 as well.
    yes it is. quite extensively too. it seems to be woven into the majority of the course.
    the op was only asking about the first year so I only mentioned it in regards to yr1.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I'm in year 12 atm doing Maths A Level in about 2 months, I can safely say it's not really that difficult if you figure out where you're dropping marks. I started off getting only 60% ish in C4 past papers around January time, now I'm getting 88-94%. If I can do it, you can.

(Original post by n__)
    I think I'm probably the very few who actually preferred A Level Maths to GCSE Maths The best part about it is because the content is the same every year, you can pretty much self-teach yourself the subject. The main thing they can change is the way they phrase a question..other than that the method is always pretty much the same! Also, as long as you do every single past paper and know the methods, an A is definitely achievable Of course there definitely is a lot of content which takes a lot of getting used to and is much more difficult, but with practice it really does become second nature! I personally got an A at GCSE and an A at A-Level too (Edexcel though, not too sure about how other boards are)
    I agree with this, I hate the way GCSE maths styles it's questions, like coming up with bs such as "HaNnAh HaS nInE mArBlEs iN a BaG. DrAw A tReE dIaGrAm To ShOw ThIs. Unlike at A Level where it's more simple like "express 5sin2x + 9cos2x in the form of Rsin(2x+a).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 12, 2018

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.