The Student Room Group

I feel like i've made a mistake with all my choices

I applied for 2 home universities and 3 away from home universities.

I got accepted into one home university which was initially my backup uni in case i didn't know what to do or didnt get other offers. The other home uni is university of Warwick which is the one i really really wanted. I got rejected from warwick and i've emailed them for feedback.

The 3 away from home universities, i've got 2 offers and 1 rejection.

My problem is i don't want to move away from home now, also my parents were keen on the idea before and didn't mind, now they would rather wish i'd stay at home. Due to tradition and the fact i'm the first to go to uni , i understand and right now i'm feeling i dont want to move either. But i only have one home uni offer and thats all i can have. It's a good uni and its great but it's not my first choice and not my most happiest, if anything it was a middle / last choice. I really don't know what to do now.

Shall i wait for clearing? But then i'll have to give up the offers i do have?
Shall i phone warwick and see if theres chances for reconsideration?
Should i just take that uni?
Shall i speak to a teacher?

I'm really confused and it's bothering me so much.
Reply 1
Original post by minionz
I applied for 2 home universities and 3 away from home universities.

I got accepted into one home university which was initially my backup uni in case i didn't know what to do or didnt get other offers. The other home uni is university of Warwick which is the one i really really wanted. I got rejected from warwick and i've emailed them for feedback.

The 3 away from home universities, i've got 2 offers and 1 rejection.

My problem is i don't want to move away from home now, also my parents were keen on the idea before and didn't mind, now they would rather wish i'd stay at home. Due to tradition and the fact i'm the first to go to uni , i understand and right now i'm feeling i dont want to move either. But i only have one home uni offer and thats all i can have. It's a good uni and its great but it's not my first choice and not my most happiest, if anything it was a middle / last choice. I really don't know what to do now.

I'm really confused and it's bothering me so much.

Well wait until you hear back from Warwick about feedback because it might give some useful information, but I doubt there's any chance of reconsideration. If you really want to go there you could reapply next year and take a gap year if you'd be ok with that.
Can you firm a uni and then reject it on results day? If so, maybe firm your "reserve" one and then check what clearing options are available at the time, or even just decline it if you get good grades and just reapply to Warwick anyway.
You could see what a teacher thinks, they may have some helpful advice.
If you're not going to be happy going to the 'home' university, what's the point in spending £££ every year to go there? You also don't have to strictly listen to your parents' wishes, however if you are, you could try to wait for clearing to open to see if any courses are in interest for you not too far away.
Alternatively, there is always the Open University... cheaper, not really any entry requirements, and you stay at home whilst studying for a degree (if the OU offers your degree choice).
Speak to your teacher in charge of UCAS for advice, also.
Reply 3
Original post by jacky33041
If you're not going to be happy going to the 'home' university, what's the point in spending £££ every year to go there? You also don't have to strictly listen to your parents' wishes, however if you are, you could try to wait for clearing to open to see if any courses are in interest for you not too far away.
Alternatively, there is always the Open University... cheaper, not really any entry requirements, and you stay at home whilst studying for a degree (if the OU offers your degree choice).
Speak to your teacher in charge of UCAS for advice, also.

Yes, i understand what you mean but i've been put off the idea a bit and then when my parents told me this it was kind of final as in i wanted to at the start move away and now i dont, they dont, so i may as well not.
With clearing, wouldn't i have to reject my offers in order to go through the clearing process or is that not how it happens?
Reply 4
Original post by A5l2e8
Well wait until you hear back from Warwick about feedback because it might give some useful information, but I doubt there's any chance of reconsideration. If you really want to go there you could reapply next year and take a gap year if you'd be ok with that.
Can you firm a uni and then reject it on results day? If so, maybe firm your "reserve" one and then check what clearing options are available at the time, or even just decline it if you get good grades and just reapply to Warwick anyway.

If theres no chance of reconsideration, is there a point of getting feedback? Shall i just leave it.
Also, yes i like that idea, i may firm and insurance the ones i have and decline them when clearing comes round. I'm still a little unsure of the whole situation.
For clearing, could i reapply to warwick.
I've been doing research too and as i want to do computer science, that's not really an option that comes up in clearing.
Yes. "You can participate in Clearing if you have already applied through UCAS and you have declined all your offers"

The above quote is from the UCAS website. - the home university you dont find you want to go to; the other 3 'away' universities are off the table for you because you don't want to move away? So you could reject them to go into Clearing in July, to find a home university for you.
Or take a gap year, do paid work, work experience, volunteering etc to boost your UCAS application, then re-apply to Warwick (and others)
Reply 7
Yes. "You can participate in Clearing if you have already applied through UCAS and you have declined all your offers"

The above quote is from the UCAS website. - the home university you dont find you want to go to; the other 3 'away' universities are off the table for you because you don't want to move away? So you could reject them to go into Clearing in July, to find a home university for you.

But doesn't that mean i have to reject the home uni i already have an offer from?
I feel like that's risky as in I've looked round and computer science isn't really a subject that shows up in clearing much and i don't know if i could get something through clearing.
Reply 8
Original post by minionz
If theres no chance of reconsideration, is there a point of getting feedback? Shall i just leave it.
Also, yes i like that idea, i may firm and insurance the ones i have and decline them when clearing comes round. I'm still a little unsure of the whole situation.
For clearing, could i reapply to warwick.
I've been doing research too and as i want to do computer science, that's not really an option that comes up in clearing.

Feedback will help you know what they didn't love about your application which will be useful for reapplying if thats what you want to do as you'll have a better chance of getting in next time.
If computer science doesn't do clearing maybe the best choice is to do a gap year and reapply.
Original post by minionz
But doesn't that mean i have to reject the home uni i already have an offer from?
I feel like that's risky as in I've looked round and computer science isn't really a subject that shows up in clearing much and i don't know if i could get something through clearing.

I suggested clearing after you said about your other home university - you not being so happy about going there
Reply 10
I suggested clearing after you said about your other home university - you not being so happy about going there

Yes, I understand what you mean. But i'm thinking that as computer science isn't a subject mainly listed in clearing, if reject my home university to do the clearing then not have options. I'm left with nothing. But i'm not sure if i'd go with a gap year. I have't thought of it at all.
If you selected a firm and insurance now, but decided to change on results day you have three options:

1 - Clearing, As you said, Computer Science isn't a subject that appears often in clearing, but there will be opportunities for it, you would have to ask your firm choice to release you into clearing and then phone up Unis to find spaces.
2 - Adjustment, Similar to clearing, but for people who have exceeded the conditions of your firm offer, but you will have your firm choice to fall back on should you not find another course.
3 - Gap year, taking a year out and reapplying for 2019 entry

In your case I would consider adjustment since if all else fails, you still have a place, but as always its luck of the draw as to whether there is any places.

Maybe its worth thinking about why you don't want to leave home and ask yourself if it would be better if you did (just a thought, make sure you make your own decision)
Gap yah?
If you get really solid A levels you could reject everything, take a year out and reapply to Warwick. You don't need to follow your parents' wishes at all. Consider why it is you actually want to be near home. If it's just for their sake, seriously don't bother yourself about it too much. Parents quickly get over themselves. Anyhoo, question answering time:

Original post by minionz

In clearing you would have to give up your offers, yeah. When in clearing there's generally less choice so you might be able to be very picky. If you do well you could try adjustment and not have to give up your firm choice.
Original post by minionz
I

All official advice I've ever read has basically implied that ringing to beg is a complete waste of time.

Original post by minionz

If you don't like it, then almost certainly not.

Can't hurt.
Reply 14
Original post by A5l2e8

How can you reapply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending