Turn on thread page Beta

Currently a final year university Student about to graduate in a few months and I feel like I’ve basically lost all the friends I’ve gained during my time at uni.

The housemates I’ve had in the past have either gone into do placement (lost touch) or we have fallen out (this year I had problems with my mental health and I feel like the people I lived with just judged and stigmatised me got going through such problems).

I’ve since moved back home to make myself better and to ensure I can finish university work to the best of my ability.

My course friends have remained someone consistent but our group has hit a somewhat ‘turbulent’ period as we are all stressed with final year and contact is hard to maintain - especially as it feels like we are all getting at each other on the group chat if 1 person asks a question and doesn’t get a reply or there’s disagreement on assignments, etc. Also because I’m living at home now I can’t go out in my uni city with them because I no longer have place there and have to get trains in and out (which don’t run very late), so I miss out on outings.

I have had a boyfriend the past year also which means my time has mostly been spent with him (seeing as I’m in my hometown and not my uni city like I was before). I don’t mind at all because I love him very much and he’s been very supportive with what’s gone on with uni.

I still have on/off contact with friends from my hometown but obviously they are at their university cities and are equally busy with their degrees.

I guess it’s just hitting me now, realistically the people I’ve lost (housemates etc) were people I wasn’t going to keep contact with a lot because they just clearly weren’t the sort of people I should associate with, considering how things turned out with them. My previous 2 years at uni were great, I didn’t have problems with friendships (I was very sociable and carefree) but due to the change in mental health this final year everything seems to have just changed completely.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

I completely understand where you're coming from. But it's just a part of life, people come and go. And let me tell you, we all feel this, even people who we think don't care, because it happens to all of us. We start to graduate, begin our careers, get married and have children or travel or do other things. We have to become comfortable with losing people, and understand that it happens, and we can't keep in contact with everyone, because they get caught up in their things and we get caught up in ours. And keep the close friends, close to us. Quality over quantity at the end. Don't feel bad if you were going through a tough time and you lost some people, for a reason, they weren't meant to be there anymore. Change is inevitable and we have to become comfortable with change and everything it swings at us. So don't feel bad and enjoy the close people you have around, because no everyone has close few friends.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Sorry to hear about that. My advice is that it's best not to worry about it. Try your best to maintain the friendships and the good ones will survive. Enjoy the time you have left!

(Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    Sorry to hear about that. My advice is that it's best not to worry about it. Try your best to maintain the friendships and the good ones will survive. Enjoy the time you have left!
    Thank you for your kind words, I wish I didn’t worry about such things but when your days are spent either do uni work or in bed it’s hard to see things any differently!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Go to the library and speak to as many people as you can. Who cares about the 'quiet this in a library' setting.
    That was one of the mistakes I made when attending Uni, was not speaking to more people.
    I don't keep in touch with anyone from Uni, and it's a big mistake.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2018
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.