The Student Room Group

STEM Career Path without A Levels/Uni?

I did well in Maths and the Sciences at GCSE, but I decided to do Media instead at college, because thats what I thought I wanted to do. But now I'm doubting it and have doubted it multiple times in the past, and I'm only in the first year of college.

Is there any way I can get into a STEM career without A Levels or probably a University STEM Degree?
Original post by WillRichards774
I did well in Maths and the Sciences at GCSE, but I decided to do Media instead at college, because thats what I thought I wanted to do. But now I'm doubting it and have doubted it multiple times in the past, and I'm only in the first year of college.

Is there any way I can get into a STEM career without A Levels or probably a University STEM Degree?

You could do a STEM degree with the Open University or an apprenticeship.
Apprenticeship. My uncle did an apprenticeship in mechanical engineering when he left school. He's now a fully qualified engineer making a very nice salary :smile:
Can I do this in this september?
im doing a level maths this October with the open university.
I resat GCSE on a whim. had a two year break when I found out I was pregnant during revision for the GCSE. now coming up to the exams to finish my a level in maths.
I'm not a natural but love Maths, and I can't wait to get started.

I don't need the a level to do it as the first stage (ou is measured in stages not years) is a mix of GCSE and a level. there is no formal qualifications to start.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest